Australian Palm Tree pen blanks! #31

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hello all,

These fibrous and very light material when dry, has a natural rope like structure with strings of tough density, together with its soft and spongy filling.

These blanks will require hardening, and the way to achieve that will up to your preference, taken into account that if you want to colour the blanks (as per my sample), you will get better results in staining it/them before any hardener solution is added/used.

The possible finish combinations and procedures with this unusual texture and fibers formation Palm wood is endless...!

I don't recall to have seen any pen made out of this stuff, but I have no doubt that it has been done before by someone!

So here we go again, and slowly catching up with the latests timbers species that I had included on my list but, they (samples, etc.,) or I wasn't ready until now.

-* Blank size, same as all others I produce.

-* Blank price each AU$1.00 (only straight cut made so far)

-* Each blank weighs approx. 15gr

-* Minimum order is a 250gr parcel bag, either one species or mixed!

Please, if you are interested, make your order here in this thread, I will PM you with Payment and other information.

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Good luck!

NOTE: The samples below have no hardener, just 3 different colours + the natural one, 1x coat of sanding sealer and 1x coat of floorseal. The white(ish) points are achieve by light sanding the blank after the satin is dry. The hard and dense fibers will not soak much or any of the normal stain products so, I light rub with 180 grit paper , will remove the colour covering but not soaked from the harder fibers. At this point, hardening or soaking with CA will stabilize the blank for the final finished.

Sandpaper should not be used until the whole blanks is sealed with a hard surface material (CA for example), otherwise you run the risk of sanding off too much of the hard fibers and possibly the soft material around them, which is extremely soft.

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom