Australian Golden Wattle hardened

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi everyone,

These are the blanks I've discussed on a couple of stabilizing titles threads initiated by other fellow members, this last 5 or 6 weeks!

I have left them dry enough and cure the wood hardener I used, just in case but they have been ready for sale for these couple of weeks or so.

For those that read the stages and processes involved with the stabilization of these very fragile blanks (particularly, prior to hardening), are aware also of the reasons why I tried to save this phenomenal extreme spalted wood. The differences shown on these blanks, compared with non spalted wood are amazingly puzzling, which means that Mother Nature can "transform" things into something no man or machine can...!

Is also true and this was demonstrated on the information that I provided, as I was doing them that, these small pieces of wood were very thirsty for some liquid and they soaked a ridiculous amount of hardener each blank, making a 1 litre of hardener at $69 disappear in front of my eyes in seconds.

Was also calculated that these particular blanks "drunk" $2.80 of hardener each, making the cost of hardening them a lot higher than I predicted. I only used 3 x 1 litre hardener bottles as a result, leaving half of the blanks ready for treatment going without for now!

There are about 76 or so hardened blanks ready for use/sale, with every random blank I used for turning as a sample, done with the grinder and the stepped 4" discs I've been suggesting/recommending to be use with particularly, fragile blanks. All were turn in between centers, sanded manually to 400 grit and then coated with 4 or 5 coats of thin CA, re-sanded lightly and then finished with a coat of my normal Floorseal varnish.

These blanks have basically 3 main variations, light colours, medium colours and darker colours, reaching a very dark brown, near black in same cases and each pack will contain 3 of each.

They were originally cut at 1" square x 6" when soaked wet, then re-sized to the normal 21mm square x 130mm long. These blanks had the square corners remove before hardening, for hardener saving and to facilitate the turning of the blank to shape, if traditional methods are use (gouge, skew, etc.). This also made the already extreme light weight blanks (15 to 25gr. each) even lighter for posting charges, allowing approx, 9 (nine) blanks per box (250gr.)

Blanks will need to sent in a small postal box, for blanks protection reasons as you will understand, a normal bag wouldn't be recommended so a charge of $2.50 (box cost) over the freight costs is required for the reasons explained!

Untreated/raw blanks I sell for AU$1.00 each, I've decided to basically recover the cost of the hardener used on each blank, selling these treated/hardened, #18 Gold Wattle blanks for AU$3.00 each.

In resume, one pack/box contain 9 hardened blanks (3 of each variation) @ AU$3.00 each = AU$27.00 + 1 x air-freight postal charge (USA & CANADA) AU$9.30 (other locations please contact me!)+ AU$2.50 (postal box)=TOTAL of AU$38.80 about USD$35.00

Anyone that requires 2 x packs (18 blanks), the cost will be 18x$3.00=AU$54.00 + 1 x air-freight postal charge AU$15.30 + $3.00 (larger postal box) = AU$72.30 about USD$65.20

Please make your orders here, I will send you a PM with further instructions, thank you!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

George I'd like :
In resume, one pack/box contain 9 hardened blanks (3 of each variation) @ AU$3.00 each = AU$27.00 + 1 x air-freight postal charge (USA & CANADA) AU$9.30 (other locations please contact me!)+ AU$2.50 (postal box)=TOTAL of $38.80 about USD$35.00

Thank you

robutacion

G'day everyone,

DCBluesman, Jim15 and RDH79, your PM's have been sent, thanks!

For those ordering "untreated/raw" blanks, the number of blanks that will fit in the box not exceeding 500gr. with the packing box included, is expected to me more than 18 blanks, as the hardener surely have put some grams on them. I have not yet weighted untreated blanks to check it out but, you pay for the 18 at @1.00 each and any others that will fit within the weight limit, will be a "gift" :wink::biggrin:

Please don't forget that all the untreated blanks available, have had the square corner cut so that will reduce the weigh of each blank (by a tinny little bit:redface:) and will soak less of the product you will use on them, plus they will be safer to turn without those corners...!:)

The product I've used, the only one available as a wood hardener here, is made in Australia by TimberMate under the name Earl's Wood Hardener, this product I believe is not the same use commercially in the US, the blanks after completely saturated with hardener under 80PSI on the pressure pot, did show complete saturation of the blank but after they were left to dry properly (over 4 weeks) on top of plastic so that the hardener would transfer out, (soaked by any porous material), the blanks are not as hard/solid as one would thing.

I'm not sure if they would accept another soaking run, as I didn't wanted to go there due to the hardener price but, for those with some hardener at home, they can try, and see if any more soaks in. Those in the pic on the large tray that have that "burnt caramel" type coating, are the only ones that look totally sealed, there is when I use the left over of the hardener, by then not so liquid and very concentrated, using my fingers I spread the thick "gooey" all over those blanks. As they dried, the thick coat stayed on the blank surface as if it was coat with "honey", making then look with edible...!:rolleyes: They are not, I can guarantee that to you, nor they are any harder then the other ones as my tests demonstrated. I couldn't notice any difference in the blanks stability after that dark yellow coat was removed away, underneath they are all identical in hardness!

Cheers
George

Noah

George...
I'd like one pack/box contain 9 hardened blanks
I'd prefer the darker ones shown in picture 1, 2, 3 (counting down frpm first single blank above) if that's workable...
I'd also take 9 non-hardened blanks if that works...(darker preferably)...
Hope I'm not being difficult... :)
PM me with total...
Thanks
Ed

robutacion

George...
I'd like one pack/box contain 9 hardened blanks
I'd prefer the darker ones shown in picture 1, 2, 3 (counting down frpm first single blank above) if that's workable...
I'd also take 9 non-hardened blanks if that works...(darker preferably)...
Hope I'm not being difficult... :)
PM me with total...
Thanks
Ed

Hi Ed,

No problem, everything is "doable" with me, you only have to ask...!:wink:

PM sent!

Thank you.

Cheers
George

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hello George,
And Happy Australia Day!

I would like 18 of the hardened blanks. Please PM payment instructions.

Thanks,
Mike

robutacion

Hello, hello everyone!

Just to let you all know that, all those that put an order in, the parcels are on their way, (posted yesterday 27-01-10).

Still have far too many blanks left, half of the treated ones and about 100 or so of the untreated ones...!:frown:

The next step, after some more of these sell, is to "attack" the other half of the logs, the other "top" (way the logs/tree was laying on the wet ground) half. I'm expecting to find some still with some soft spalting (patched) but most will be solid core wood, without the need for any treatment. They will be still lighter them the average blanks of 45 to 50gr but, I'm expecting to find lots of beautiful grain and colours typical of the Golden Wattles, mainly when they are as old as this tree was and dead for that long on the ground.

They will be beautiful on their own merits, but never the same as the spalted ones...!

PS: I may take a little longer to respond and get things done, as I hurt my right hand (the good one:frown:) in a ridiculous fall last Sunday. Got a very sawER back and neck out of it and 2 dislocated finger on my right hand. My hand is giving troubles as I pushed it a little too much after the fall, but it will be OK soon!:redface::biggrin: I'm lucky to have "trained" my wife so well for these situations, she has been brilliant in helping me!:biggrin: Good'on you Merissa...!:angel::RockOn:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi peoples...,

I reckon, those Golden Wattle blanks should start to arrive very soon. I would appreciate to be told they arrived, and I would certainly would like to see some pens made out of these blanks.

I have made a drilling test with 2 of these hardened blanks (full blanks, not cut), just to see what would happen. I already knew that they are very difficult to shape with any gouge, reason why I have repeatedly been suggestion for people to invest in a couple of 4" "Flap discs" from 40 to 80 grit and just try them. The drilling was more a matter of see if they would brake apart if "unsupported" and how much flex involved in doing so.

I was quite surprised and I will tomorrow or so take some pics of the results of the test, and explore a little more the process and tools used. I have yet to see and test one of those commercially stabilized blanks, as they are not available here in Australia, well not as far as I know, I am convinced my hardening using all the best processes and product available to me as timber hardener, is far, very far from what I've heard and read about those turning average stabilized blanks in the US and Canada. I've learned that, the most efficient process, producing the best stabilized blanks are those so called, acrylic stabilized woods.

I will find out sooner or later, what product(s) are used and how its done, that I can assure that to everyone, I'm worse than a Bull Terrier when I want to find something out, never let go...!:wink:

With this said, I'm a little concerned that some of those that purchase these hardened blanks from me, are probably going to take the same steps as they would normally do with the commercially stabilized ones, that is indeed a concern as I start to believe that, even tough I can't get/make them any harder, they aren't close to the hardness I've heard, those acrylic blanks have.

Some of the test I've done, including those I've simply turned between centers, the ones shown in the pics, was my initial attempt to verify the workability of my hardened blanks, I believe from what I saw and done, with a little extra care and maybe using some techniques not used before by most/some of pen turners, some absolutely amazing pens will come out of some of those blanks, and that I'm impatiently waiting for...!:eek::biggrin:

So, until tomorrow...,

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Noah

George...
Mine arrived today...Very nice...
Very interesting wood, I've not seen anything like it...
Therefore anxious to give it a TURN... :)
Thanks
Ed

robutacion

Hi everyone,

As promised, here I am with some pics...!:biggrin:

Lets understand that my intentions were to test these fragile Golden Wattle spalted hardened pen blanks, after the hardening process didn't satisfied me as for/to the type of hardness I was expecting from such extremely expensive wood hardener! OK so I am not happy with it BUT, it allows the blanks to be processed into pen barrels as any other pen blank, with that extra fragile tag on its neck!

I started by selecting 2 full hardened blanks from the tray, one light/medium colour the other a darker one, put them in between centers on the lathe and using the 4" "Flap discs" 60 grit, round them to about 15mm diameter or so. The blanks were never cut, as I wanted to try drilling them through, one half at the time, obviously.

Part of the test was to figure out if the blanks would blow-out easily and where in depth they would fail. The special drill bit used is new and certainly one of the best wood drill bits I ever use, that tungsten tip does do wonders.

So, with this information in mind, thats have a look to what happened...!;

On the first 5 pics you see the amount of blank being drilled without any support! (half blank). The set up is quite basic but solid.

timberpreparation1591_1.jpg

The last 3 pics, you see one full blank drilled through successfully, on both times (halves) that pertruded from the drilling vice, did show some movement from the blank softness but no minor blow outs on drill bit entry or exit. The second blank didn't make it, after the successful drilling of the first half, after inverting the blank, the drill bit went about half way through the top part but the forces exerted on the middle point of the blank, exactly where the blank stops being supported by the vice. The slight movement (twist) experienced on the first blank, was a little too much for the second one.

There is no doubt that the blank will be cut in about half, either before or after being rounded (optional), as this is the normal procedure for making and drilling pen blanks, no pen will use the full length of the blank in one piece, some kits will use about 2/3 or less of a normal blank size, and for those I would certainly suggest to make sure the full length of the blank to be drilled to be supported in one of many possible ways.

Well, so what would be the conclusions...?
- Hardened blanks are sufficiently stable to allow rounding on a lathe between centers, without brake!
- Drilling the blank, before or after being rounded, is best if each half blank is fully supported by the vice jaws.
- Drilling with a good quality and sharp drill bit, is a must for success!

If barrels are going to be turn (shaped and finished) in a mandrel or between centers, should make any difference to the material fragility so my friends, if you are going to use them in a one or two piece pen kit, make the mirror finish, gloss, or semi gloss, natural blank colours or tinted, I hope the reason why I worked quite hard and very gently to safe this wood to decompose to dust (weren't that far from it...!:eek:), is going the be justified and rewarded with the successful pens that will be created with one of the most ignored and discarded Aussie natives this country and this particular area has to offer, the beautiful Australian Golden Wattle!:wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

bobleibo

Hi George
I'd like the 9 pack of hardened blanks, mostly the darker colored ones like in the first 3 individual pictures if possible. Those really pop!
Thank you!
Bob

rlofton

Hello, George!

I'd like the 9 pack of hardened blanks, the darker colored ones please, like the first 3 pictures. Please PM amount and your PayPal info and I will pay right away.

Thanks!

robutacion

Hi everyone,

rlofton, PM sent!

There are a few others that should have already received my parcel, I haven't heard from you guys...!:confused:

I'm will no be surprised if some of you get a bit "freaked" after being confronted with such "different" blanks, weight, texture and fragility (to a point on the hardened ones!) probably even "scared" of doing anything with them :biggrin:, don't be...!, they are only pieces of wood very aged and stopped in time, on their natural decomposition process, accelerated by the wet soil the wood was in.

Whats the worse that can happen...? the blank doesn't make for whatever the reason (no self blame is necessary), try the next one, voiding some possible mistakes done with the previous one...!:wink:, they are still another 7 and with some others another 16 to go so, plenty more opportunities to be successful...!:cool:

And, if you buggered a few, think of it as a few can of drinks that were flat and you throw them of.:)
If the worse comes to the worse, I may run out of the hardened ones (hopefully soon) but I have a good couple of hundred of spalted but non-hardened blanks ready to go and about another couple of hundred of very nice solid core ones.:wink::biggrin:

I reckon folks, is time to start seeing some pens done, huh...? and off-course, never forget those pics, they are gold to me...!:)

Good luck

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hello everyone,

I have just been notified that mbroberg has not received his blanks that were posted on the 28/1/10. This is unusual and upsetting for everyone concern, so while I'm trying to figure out what did happen, the chances are I never will but in either case, mbroberg is not going to miss out on his Aussie Golden Wattles blanks, guaranteed!

I'm wondering if anyone else is still waiting for the blanks, particularly those that ordered from the very beginning...???

Please let me know...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

The hardened Golden Wattle spalted pen blanks, are no longer available as I have no more left. Thank you very much to everyone that purchased these blanks from me...!:wink:

While I finished with the hardened ones, I still have lots of non-hardened ones which I will not treat with the wood hardener available to me as I'm not satisfied with the results, nor with the price it costs to soak each blank on it!

I have expressed this view from the very beginning, without having seen or tested any of the blanks most members here buy as stabilized wood blanks from some of the US suppliers or direct from stabilizing business. Was/is my believe that stabilization and hardening should achieve identical results when it comes to the hardening of the wood, this was finally possible for me to see and test due to a generous offer from one of IAP members, offering me to exchange a number of stabilized timber species pen blanks, together with the blanks of the same wood not stabilized for comparing, for some of my Aussie woods, to which I couldn't say no!

These blanks have arrived and I finally could see and test their toughness. Before doing anything to these US commercially stabilized wood blanks, was obvious the hardness difference between those of mine and the US ones, and this was what I was expecting from the Aussie hardening product but not even close...!:mad:

Is obvious to me that, the hardening process achieved with the product available to me here in Australia, can allow the extra soft and unworkable wood to be hardened enough to be worked on with the minimum possible requirements but, the blanks still very fragile after that. While turning, I would expect most of my hardened blanks to require some extra support and strength with the application of some CA as you go. This would be particularly crucial if blanks are turned using gouges and not the grinding (using Flap discs) method I strongly recommended in the introduction of these blanks.

Someone :)confused:) send me an email with a "hint" of the possible secret product/method use by commercial stabilizers, I'm waiting on my order from the resin supplier and after I receive it I will be making some interesting test with some soft wood...!:biggrin:

If it works, the cost of stabilizing of a normal pen blank drops from nearly AU$3.00 to 50cents and don't worry I will not stabilize any more than the absolute necessity, I have no intentions to become a wood stabilizer but, if I succeed with my tests, the secret will be revealed here for everyone to know and try.

I'm certainly not surprised but, some how, very annoyed that every time I have asked for some assistance from those stabilizing commercially, I was either told to get lost or ignored so, I have made a promise some time ago on one of my stabilizing assistance request threads that I would take any step necessary to get to the bottom of the secretive issue, I indeed said that I'm worse than a bulldog when I want something, I just grab and never let go...!:)

Is obvious that this issue still upsets me just by talking about it but, with some luck and some investment (hopefully a small one...!) I will have "the" answer in a very near future!:wink:

Now in relation to the missing/lost/stolen/etc., etc. package sent to mbroberg, one other box and this time a little bigger (heavier) has been sent again to his address in the US, last Tuesday (Monday was a public holiday) so, lets see what is going to happen with this one...!

Is just unacceptable that The Australia Post does not provide a tracking number for parcels under 2kg sent overseas, unless a special insurance is paid. The cost of this insurance would make the whole deal uneconomical in most cases but the downside of this is that, the sender (me) gets nothing more than a till receipt with the amount charged and nothing more.

Tracking an item then is impossible, and neither the sender or the recipient will get any compensation for their loss, putting the load and possible replacement on to the seller shoulders, which then become a matter of good will and friendly service. This situation for the "big boys" doesn't mean much as they have all sorts of situations covered in the price charged but for a small guy like me, this can hurt considerably, particularly to overseas...! (no, mbroberg you owe me nothing, mate...!:wink:)

Anyway, I just needed to get this out of my chest...!:biggrin:

Remember, I still have lots of nice spalted non-hardened and solid core Golden Wattle #18 pen blanks!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Let me add that George went above and beyond what I expected. International shipping is somewhat of a gamble. George took full responsibility for the lost package and "compensated" me for the wait time. People like George are great to do business with!:biggrin:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update to let everyone know that Mike (mbroberg), got his replacement box of goodies so, that is a relief...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Hi Mike, so you thought that this "saga" with your missing parcel was all over right...??? Wrong...but this time is good news.
For the first timer ever, I got one of my parcels returned to me and considering that it went all the way to the US and back, is a surprise on its own...!
I couldn't believe when I saw the box and the post man said, it was returned due to "insufficient information"...!:eek: I couldn't see anything wrong but then I looked again and I saw one line of the address not filled (empty) and that is really strange as I normally use all the lines for the complete address so, I went to the computer and checked...!:frown: bloody hell...! I missed the middle line of the address...!:redface:

Yeah well, I'm only human and I'm far from perfection so, I did made the mistake that created the problem in the first place...! bugger, damn...!
I'm so sorry Mike, to put you through such unnecessary worry and inconvenience, I'm normally better than this...!

I really though that someone did flog it in the postal system, and not I'm not going to apologize to them, as I know someone is doing the wrong thing and just to prove this, minutes after I got parcel returned, I got an email from another member saying that we got my "tough bag" used to send some blanks (1kg) today BUT...! the bag was empty...!:eek::mad:

I'm waiting his answer to my questions about the bag showing any signs of tearing or being open and then closed with tape, if the 2 pieces of paper (eBay receipt and my timbers list):confused:

The bag has a green sticker saying what was inside, how heavy and all other sorts of info, this proves that I indeed sent "something" inside that bag...!

This member Bob, comments that "Somewhere along the way somebody has helped themselves to it.", I couldn't agree more!:mad:

This was an eBay purchase so I told him to open a dispute/complain, and see what happen...! I offered to replace with identical stock if he needs it soon, I cover the wood for now, he will cover the freight, now with the insurance attached to it. Waiting on reply.

OK so I admit, I made a mistake with Mike's Parcel, I have solved it already on me but still, it shouldn't have happened...!:mad:

Now, I have these 18 blanks available, including the 1 x *gem* as a gift, there is the contents of the original Mike's order, I don't thing that Mike wants then anymore as he should have enough, so they are available to anyone that wants them.

The price is the AU$3.00 per blank x 18 = AU$54.00 + 1kg freight charges @ AU$27.30 + AU$12.15 fully insured with delivery confirmation =
Total AU$93.45 about USD$85.75

I would prefer not to break the box in half but if necessary, I will...!

Attached are the pics I took after I got the box back today, you see that Customs have opened the box (inserted brochure inside the box) and re-seal it with their yellow marking tape, you see also that the parcel did pass inspection...!
Even tough, Mike's partial address is shown, don't worry mate, if the US post people couldn't find you with only the information on the package, no one will, nor I would be showing his or anyones full address, in the first place...!

So, if anyone wants these blanks, just let me know...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 2063.jpg
    timber preparation 2063.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 123
  • timber preparation 2064.jpg
    timber preparation 2064.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised of not have seen any pens made from any of these blanks sold some time ago...???:frown:
Is everyone saving them for a raining day, or no one have yet gather the "courage" to them...???:wink::biggrin:

I would like to close the sales of these blanks but the 19 I have left form the returned parcel, are making that difficult.

I'm not sure what they didn't sell yet after a good interest shown when they were offered for sale, is it the insurance cost...? or the number of blanks as one package...??? I already offer to divide the box in two, but that would attract 2 lots of insurance as the value I quoted is the very minimum and cover up to AU$99.00 value.

The insurance is not compulsory, is a option suggested, I have sent 100's of parcels overseas without any problems, just recently I've been hit with a few far too many complains for my taste of parcels not arriving to their destiny so the insurance will be the only way the parcel total value will be covered but Australia Post and not falling on me...!

I will send parcels uninsured if that is what you want, otherwise if parcel does not arrive, I will no longer replace the parcel contents nor the fright costs involved...!

I'm considering taking a pic of the parcel after has been processed, and labelled by the Post Office, before the parcel is taken away from the counter, particularly for uninsured items under 2kg, where no track number or copy of the posting information is given to me, apart from a till receipt. This will demonstrated and remove any doubts that the parcel was indeed posted...!

I shouldn't have to go to such extremes but even through eBay, if a parcel uninsured and under 2 kg lets lost, unless I can prove that the parcel was indeed processed by the post office, a till receipt will not help me at all, I know Paypal has already show me how they work in these situations, I get the total amount of the transaction frozen for a little while then taken out and send to the buyer, that just really stinks...! Mainly when I find out that the parcel was received and this fellow just used the systems knowing that I didn't have the proof that Paypal wanted as the parcel was under 2kg.

Apparently this fellow, wasn't too scared to admit what he done so after a little while, he mention the story to a few people in one of the Pubs he frequents, so it does happen that one of those persons that over heard his conversation, was a old time customer. All the way from the UK, there I had a friend that did hesitate to send me an email to let me know I had been scammed.:frown:

Yeah, I know, it takes all sorts...!

Anyway, life goes on and the blanks still available for sale...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Jim15

George, I have tried two but I think I ruined them by being to aggressive. I am going to try again soon. If I can slow down a little and keep from blowing it up I will post it.

robutacion

George, I have tried two but I think I ruined them by being to aggressive. I am going to try again soon. If I can slow down a little and keep from blowing it up I will post it.

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your reply...!

I'm not sure if the problem is you being too aggressive with them, I believe it will be extremely difficult to get them done with the normal cutting tools.

I have repeatedly made the suggestion for people to try the "flap" disks on the 4" grinder, to void blowing the blanks out. If the damage happens when trying to drill them, I would suggest the brad point drill bits or the tungsten tipped ones that really cut a lot better.

I still thing that most of the problems occur while try turning the blank with gauges or skew, you need speed and a 40grit disc for the first 2/3 then, the 80grit disk gives you the ideal surface the finish by hand with all the grits as any other blank...!

You may do some damaged to the bushes after a few of these blanks but in reality, they are a small price to pay.

Also, getting the blank shaped right to the hand sanding stage, it does take a fraction of the time compared with using a gauge/skew, etc., with 2 cheap 4" grinders set specifically for this purpose (one with 40grit disk the other with 80grit disc) as I have. It will take 2 minutes to run the 2 grits, taking it easy...!

I have had not yet anyone that has tried this and reported the results here as I requested, for everyone to read, not sure why as everyone has a 4" grinder and I'm certain these "flap" discs are available in any hardware store, regardless of country so people, do try it, you will surprised and seriously pleased that you did...!:wink::biggrin:

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom