Australian Fleureau Peninsula pen blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Australian Fleureau Peninsula pen blanks! the beginning of the story!

Hi everyone,

Some members here may already know me from other forums, mainly the Aussie and Canada ones, and some may have never heard of me, so here it goes a "squeezed" version of my story. (a little bit more info in on the Introduction thread).
Timber addicted by nature, with a problem with timber wastage so since early retired 5 year ago, due to spinal injury deteriorating with age ware and tare, I started woodturning with a $90 GMC wood lathe gluing bits of boards together to have big enough timber to turn. Got myself a small chainsaw and start going around town looking for people with tree branches that need cutting, no charge for the service in return for the wood (cleaning the mess, also). My wife as a helper, we would come home with some turning wood and some firewood also, but with word of mouth and the price charged, in no time we were gathering lots of timber. Bigger and better chainsaws, pole-saws, better safety gear and a good trailer, did made us busy every time I was feeling well enough to walk around. The 2 sheds at the house got full, and I had to rent a small open and empty paddock near the house to store more wood. I've turn bowls and more bowls, plates, platters, vases, for days on end, but the timber coming in was more than what I could use so I start selling some blanks. Recently I got involved with pen making and I started to enjoy immensely the process of making the pen blanks from the 30 timber species that I have all from around here. I particularly liked the fact that for the first time I could make use of those nice small pieces of wood that are very much useless for the type turnings I was doing before, so I started to introduce these timbers and these blanks to anyone interested, as most of my woods are native to Australia and not found commercially anywhere.
I started also to make pens, one every 2 weeks or so and I like to turn then as I also continue to turn other stuff as before, but the cutting of my timbers into pen blanks has become the most enjoyable and easy for me to handle now that my legs are letting me down. The timber gathering has been slow and I believe is coming to an end soon, as I just can't handle it anymore. I have a few olive trees and some other small stuff to get this year, as it was arranged last year, but I reckon that is going to be it for me, so I will concentrate in use what I have stored, and I tell you, I have plenty...!

So, I have plenty of timber to work with and plenty that I care share with others for a very reasonable price, to recover my costs from these last few years collecting it and now processing it, plus a little bit for pocket money.

I have made a list with all the timber species I have, and each one has a number, that number is what identify the species at any time, and is the number that is imprinted on each and everyone of the blanks. The blanks are waxed on each end (end grain) are are cut now at 21mm square x 130mm long. Most of the timber cut with the grain have also available longer (double) pen blanks 21mm x 10" for those that need a perfect match for the double sets. Other pen blanks sizes are also available upon request.

For those that are unfamiliar with these Aussie species (or most of them) the 27 mix pen blanks pack at AU$35 + freight, is most recommended as there are 27 blanks of the 30 possible species guaranteed on that pack, giving a good selection of what is available. After tested and used, the choice of the preferred blanks species is a lot easier, and can then be supplied in any quantities you want (condition apply!), the blanks prices vary between AU$1 and AU$2 max. each. Special discounts on quantity are a norm, and free-bees a good possibility:biggrin:

Any purchases can me made directly, just by contacting me by email, or can be made through my Australian eBay store. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime!

I'm attaching the timber species list for easy consultation and printing, as also the 27 mix pen blanks pack in semi-turned samples and pack pics.

I will provide more info as we go, but remember the first place were I normally put new pen blanks is on the eBay store, so use it as a reference if need be.

All the contacts details or places mentioned above are provide as links on my signature bellow.

Thank you,
Cheers
George

Attachments

• Species list for eBay.jpg
    Species list for eBay.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 267
  • First 27 pen blank samples pic.JPG
    First 27 pen blank samples pic.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 327
  • First 27 pen blank samples pic-2.JPG
    First 27 pen blank samples pic-2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 277
  • timber preparation 036_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 036_(1).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 255
  • timber preparation 044_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 044_(1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That's some beautiful wood, George. At the current exchange rate of Aus$1 = US .84 cents, the prices are attractive. That makes the 27 blank pack US$22.41.

The big question is the cost of shipping. Can you get an estimate for the 27 blank pack to US Zip code 64055???

Good luck!
Greg

robutacion

Hi Greg and Dannie,

Interestingly, I was just finishing responding to a PM and the exchange rate I was given was not as good (for you), but in any case it worked like this;

On todays exchange, AU$35 = US$29.37
The freight is this case works considerably cheaper for 2 or more packs, as 1 x pack is approx. 1.2kg costing AU$33.30 = US$27.90 freight
2 x packs costs AU$58.55 = US$49.07 - freight
3 x packs costs AU$73.05 = US$61.23 - freight
4 x packs costs AU$94.80 = US$79.44 - freight
5 x packs costs AU$109.30 = US$91.58 - freight
These prices are all air-mail, sea-mail is considerably cheaper about 1/3 less but takes many weeks to arrive. I have also notice that the prices are the same for most countries, including Canada.

Recapping - 1 x 27 mix pen blanks US$29.37 + US$27.87 = US$57.24
- 2 x 27 mix pen blanks US$58.74 + US$49.07 = US$107.81
- 3 x 27 mix pen blanks US$88.10 + US$61.23 = US$149.33
- 4 x 27 mix pen blanks US$117.14 + US$79.44 = US$196.58
- 5 x 27 mix pen blanks US$146.47+ US$91.59 = US$238.06
I made very quickly some calculations on total cost per blank including the freight in between the 3 options.

1 x pack costs you US$2.12 per blank. - air-freight
2 x pack costs you US$1.99 per blank. - air-freight
3 x pack costs you US$1.84 per blank. - air-freight
4 x pack costs you US$1.82 per blank. - air-freight
5 x pack costs you US$1.76 per blank. - air-freight

The exchange rate given to me at the time on the Internet conversion was at 1 AUD = 0.836982 USD, you have the AU$ values so, that is what count at the conversion time. Please pay the amounts in AU$ currency, to make it fair for both of us...!:)

1 x pack -total cost air freight = AU$68.30
2 x pack -total cost air freight = AU$128.55
3 x pack -total cost air freight = AU$178.05
4 x pack -total cost air freight = AU$234.80
5 x pack -total cost air freight = AU$284.30

All the cost freights can be minimized by a group buy, there is, people from the same area, or at least close enough to have packs re-posted for a minimal cost within the same country. The maximum weigh allowed is 20kg either by sea or air, the freight prices do really get better as the weight increases, and to prove it the cost of sending 20kg to the same locations costs, by air-mail AU$312.30, and by sea-mail AU$178.80.

I should also say that, the way the Australia Post charges the weights, there is, every 500gr increments, can make things a little tricky as if a parcel is, for example, 2.498kg it counts 2.5kg, but if it goes 2.515kg it will go to the next increment, and it will be charged as a 3kg. This is particularly the case with the 27 pen blanks packs, as the weight varies sightly from pack to pack (blanks from the same species can weight differently), and also the fact that the average weight per pack (without packing or extra waxing when necessary), is approx. 1.790kg. The total weight of a certain number of packs can be on either side of the increment limits as I explained above, like for example 2 x packs = 3.580kg, the parcel will be charged at 4kg weight price BUT and so that people aren't paying already a very expensive price for empty space (sort of speak), I compensate those differences with some extra blanks (my choice or whatever is near me), at no extra cost, shall we call them, "bonus top-ups...!":biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Some samples of my timbers! [1]

Hi everyone,

This is when things get tricky, there is, I have and like to use lots of pics, but the limitations of space and speed allowed or possible in these forums, can be a bit of a pain...! I do perfectly understand the reasons, I just hope that one day someone finds a good solution for this problem. With this is mind, and hoping to not created any problems, I would like to provide a group of pics that I created from my timber species, which are basically samples, semi-turned and semi-finished, allowing people to the able to get a little more detail and info on each one of those species.
I will try to do this, staying inside of the forum guidelines and requirements, of 2.MB for PDF files but, if any of the mods things that isn't right, please let me know! (these 5 files are 952.7KB)

Here it goes;

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 1 - 2 pics with comments.pdf
    180.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 3 - 5 pics with comments.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 6 - 9 pics with comments.pdf
    236.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 10 - 12 pics with comments.pdf
    141.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 13 - 14 pics with comments.pdf
    230 KB · Views: 266

robutacion

Some samples of my timbers! [2]

Hi again,

This is the second part of the PDF files with pics of my timbers. The intention is to provide the most info I can about what grows up here. Some of these species are more common than others, some are indeed rare and not so easy to find/obtain. Other pics are already available and will be added in due time, other will be added as I go...!:wink:

Enjoy,

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 15 - 16 pics with comments.pdf
    178.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 17 - 19 pics with comments.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 20 - 22 pics with comments.pdf
    163.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 23 - 25 pics with comments.pdf
    211.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 26 - 28 pics with comments.pdf
    163.4 KB · Views: 219

robutacion

Some samples of my timbers! [3]

Hi everyone,

Today I will introduce a new blank is not included in the list yet.
The species is know as #7 Spotted Gum, and available since the beginning in straight grain cut. The burls found as part of the root system, buried under ground, were only recently processed as pen blanks, and now ready for sale.

I have not yet made a round (turned) sample with it (as the other blanks samples) but, I reckon I've got enough for you all have a look.

I manage to make about 250 blanks out of all those root burls, unfortunately, more than half, are not stable to use as is, they need filling with resin (worthless wood blanks type), which I hope to be able to start my experimentations in a couple of weeks!

The solid wood #7R Spotted Gum burl blanks will sell for AU$2.00 each.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 101_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 101_(1).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 172
  • timber preparation 082_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 082_(1).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 164
  • timber preparation 086_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 086_(1).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 177