The Australian "BT" wood...? #33

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi peoples,

What in a heck is BT wood...???? you would ask!:confused:
Well, at this moment I only can tell you that is wood from a Big Tree that lived for a long time together with its 2 other brothers/sisters in the same yard as the Macrocarpa and the Bay Tree come from, just out of town. Unfortunately, someone built a series of houses too damn close to these humongous trees and some time in the beginning of 2009, one of them (affected by termites) collapsed into the house closer to it, making a mess of this residence.

Apparently, as I din't know until after was all done and over with, the Emergency services inspector, condemned on the spot the other 2 trees still standing up and in no time, (couple of hours) 2 tree surgeons teams were chopping them down and into chips. The next day I get a call from the block of land owner (trees owner), telling me that he was contacted and informed a considerable bill for the removal of those trees was coming his way.

He wasn't happy with this charge as he had me to take care of the trees removal (those that "had" to come down!) for no charge, in exchange for the wood but, he was in that situation after I told him 2 years ago and again last year that, the fallen tree was in a very dangerous condition and the other 2 were deteriorating fast. No doubt, termites finish them but I believe those 3 trees had reached their life expectancy some years ago, maybe facilitating the penetration and destruction that termites do.

After I got the phone call, I went to the location to have a look, and a I noticed 3 large pieces (logs) left behind and pushed away from the houses back yards. Talking to the damaged house owner, and some people that were there since the day before, trying to stabilize the house roof from being blown away with the strong winds (reason the tree come down), the bigger chipper broke-down after they starting to put the larger timbers through it, leaving behind the 3 forks (one from each tree) that still would need some chainsaw work to cut them into size pieces the chipper could accommodate.

A phone call to the tree service people, was what it took to confirm the reason those logs were left behind, the request to leave them there for me and the reasons why I was making that request. Obviously, I was simply doing them a favor and saving them some dollars so the answer was "yes mate", you can have them...! but, with a catch...! they have to be out of there before the Summer starts...!

It seamed easy enough but, the property owner decided to go overseas in August for a few months (back in Jan 2010) and I never had a copy of the gate key (silly me), so I can get over the fence to cut little bits of those logs and roll them to the fence (under) but no access for the vehicle with the trailer, until next year!:mad:

I proceeded to inform the Tree Service manager of the situation as soon as I realize the problem, they were OK with it, the job has been paid and closed some time prior so, the wood was now my responsibility!:biggrin:

Some of the pieces that I cut recently from these logs, were wet and green(ish) in some parts (around the deep inside knots and grain busy spots), other were as dry as a bone! Interestingly, even the dry timber from the recent/new cuts is of light colour, compared with a medium size log that I cut from a large broken branch from that same tree, a couple of years ago.

I only kept one piece about 2 feet long and about 8" diameter, from that branch, put it a side and completely forgot all about it until I got the first bits of the new cut timber from the big logs home and though about that log that I had stored somewhere. Going through the blanks cutting I then realized how so much darker timber the older log was, buy this time well dry! I will find difficult to believe the timber from the tree butt forks (large diameters) will ever get that dark, I believe that darker colour would only happen on the branches!

Anyway, here it is, also available for sale. Conditions etc., are all the same as per other sales, the blanks prices are also at AU$1.00 each + freight. Each blank weighs approx. 40gr (about 11/12 to 0.5kg)

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom