Block a member? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To > Forum How-To
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default Block a member?

Is there any way to block PMs from specific members? There is a member who simply won't stop PMing me. I'm not sure if he's a petulant child or consitently drunk, but I'm tired of his rants and I'd just as soon never receive another PM from him.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Emerson
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Go to your PM box and on the left side in settings and options there is an ignore option open it and add the other user's name and hit OK.

http://www.facebook.com/MaxsPens
maxman400 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

That blocks their posts in the forums, rather than PMs sent by them. Blocking their posts is not a great option for me because my curiosity will force me to take a look at it, anyway.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Emerson
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Continuing to send PMs after you've told them to stop sounds like "harrassment" to me -- which is prohibited in Member Conduct section in the Terms of Service. If it continues, I would notify one of the moderators and ask them to send the person a warning.

There is a technical way to prevent but administration would be a hassle: select option to receive PMs from Contacts & Friends only and specify only the ids you want to allow. Again, this would be an adminstrative pain and, IMO, you shouldn't be forced to do this.

The person should get the hint and stop sending PMs -- and, in my opinion, suffer the consequences of banning from the forum if they don't. Just my opinion, and please take no offense, knowing only your side of the story.
JimMc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMc7 View Post
The person should get the hint and stop sending PMs -- and, in my opinion, suffer the consequences of banning from the forum if they don't. Just my opinion, and please take no offense, knowing only your side of the story.
No offense taken. This thread exists merely to identify options. Preferably a simply one that would not allow his PMs to be received. The thread's purpose is not to discuss the specific person that I am having this issue with. That is the reason that I didn't mention who he is or the specifics of the PMs.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 155

Steve, I think this is a anti-Tennessee member. I get them too, if we are speaking of the same person. I now look at them as being funny. At times I look for some posts just to see how ridiculous it has gotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbell111 View Post
Is there any way to block PMs from specific members? There is a member who simply won't stop PMing me. I'm not sure if he's a petulant child or consitently drunk, but I'm tired of his rants and I'd just as soon never receive another PM from him.
Home of the Jack Daniels Whiskey Wood Blanks.
jimm1 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 18

But I really want to tell you about the free iPad you can get!!!

;)

Seriously, I would turn off email notifications (if you have 'em on), then just go in every so often and delete the PMs.

DurocShark is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 131

I think a quick PM to one of our modorators would do the trick, this thread should attract their attention to the problem you are having!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 24

I'm just curious as to what the PMs are about.... Care to post them?
BigguyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigguyZ View Post
I'm just curious as to what the PMs are about.... Care to post them?
No. This thread is not about the PMs or the poster. It is about what we can do if we receive repeated unwelcome PMs. Other boards allow individuals to block the PMs from other selected members. I was hoping that this was possible here.

Last edited by sbell111; 10-12-2010 at 11:31 AM.