Question: Home Page Recent Threads Section - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Site Help, Tips, How-To Get and give help for using the FORUM SOFTWARE.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Default Question: Home Page Recent Threads Section

I started using the "Recent Threads" section a few months ago. I like seeing the threads from all forums list in reverse chronological based on the most recent post. The "New Posts" page is nice, but I was finding that I was missing threads because on some visits I would only read a couple of posts, but then if nothing new happens in a post I didn't read then I would miss it completely. Now I am finding that the "Recent Threads" section doesn't include posts from all forums (for example the new PITH forum).

Is there a way to modify this section so that it includes all forums?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 76

I have been missing some valuable updates to existing threads also and can't figure out what is going "wrong". I check several times a day when I am expecting new info and sometimes nothing shows up even though later inspection proves that there has been some activity on existing threads, or that new threads have been started and I did not get them at the time. Weird !!

A similar example of something weird : ....

This particular NEW thread in fact showed up under the "separator" heading:

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.

and so did the brand new thread "Who's #1"

This was my first visit this morning.

Since both of these are brand new threads this morning and have no replies at all at the time I saw them, I would have thought that they should have showed up on the "New Posts" page ABOVE the "separator" quoted.

Last edited by magpens; 02-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I use New Posts all the time and find the same problem in that new threads or posts do not always show up. I sometimes go into a specific forum and find something that wasn’t there in New Posts. I never was able to determine a pattern so I never posted anything about it.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 104

You can also use the Todays posts under quick links.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
You can also use the Todays posts under quick links.
Thanks JT, I think I might like this one better than the other two options I've tried.

As an aside, it looks like t new PITH forum posts are showing up in the "Recent threads" section now.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 66

I just added the new PITH forum to the recent threads feed. That's a manual operation when creating a new forum and I had forgotten to do it. There are quite a few forums not in that feed, such as all the local chapter forums. The marketplace is also not included, but you can add it. See this video tip from long ago

Regarding the other issues... the new posts and active topics feeds are somewhat confusing, but I've verified many times over many years that they work as programmed. I get confused by the behavior at times, but if I think about it enough, the light bulb comes on and I understand. There is a lot of dependency on whether you have posted in a thread, how long it has been since you viewed a thread, how long since the last time you visited the forum, etc.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, Jeff.

I am now aware of the Quick Links/Today's Posts feature, thanks to JohnT posting his message above. Perhaps using that feature is the answer to my questions below but I have lately (due to the issues raised by the OP of this thread) been wondering :-

1) Is there any one technique, or click pattern, to ensure that one knows about all newly created threads, and updates to exisiting threads, "as soon as" they are submitted ? . I know this is an individual matter and probably depends on one's recent access history. . But I stay logged in all the time, and I wonder if that fact causes the website to "think" that I have accessed some threads/posts when in fact I have not.

2) Is it possible to "subscribe" to a particular member, in order to get "instant" notification (via email) of any new thread created by that member ?

Last edited by magpens; 02-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Thanks, Jeff.

I am now aware of the Quick Links/Today's Posts feature, thanks to JohnT posting his message above. Perhaps using that feature is the answer to my questions below but I have lately (due to the issues raised by the OP of this thread) been wondering :-

1) Is there any one technique, or click pattern, to ensure that one knows about all newly created threads, and updates to exisiting threads, "as soon as" they are submitted ? . I know this is an individual matter and probably depends on one's recent access history. . But I stay logged in all the time, and I wonder if that fact causes the website to "think" that I have accessed some threads/posts when in fact I have not.

2) Is it possible to "subscribe" to a particular member, in order to get "instant" notification (via email) of any new thread created by that member ?
This one you can Go to your user CP and follow your nose as you scroll down to subscribe to a thread. There are other features in there that may interest you too.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Thanks, Jeff.

1 - Generally, "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" are the best way, with the latter using your local time zone to determine "today" and show you the new posts. "New Posts" is a little less reliable due to what the server thinks is new to you depending on your last visit time. There is a way to get notification of every single post, but it's by email, and not something the average user would want to use.

The forum does provide outbound RSS, which provides an XML feed of everything for any selected forums. That requires a feedreader, such as Thunderbird. If you want to try that, I'll post instructions. The downside there is that you're using a separate program to monitor the forum, and you need to come back to the forum to interact. Probably not what you're looking for.

2 - It's not possible to subscribe to all posts by a particular member.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, Jeff. . I guess I'll just stay "as is" ....
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads