Pilot Con 70 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Site Help, Tips, How-To Get and give help for using the FORUM SOFTWARE.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Pilot Con 70

Hello

Has anyone here tried to use a Pilot Con 70 as a converter for kitless pens? Does it work well?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Yes I've done it, and yes it works well.

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply!

Are there any specific considerations I should be mindful of? It seems most converters fit snuggly right onto the feed and the Con 70 doesnít quite do that. Iím assuming from your reply thatís not much of an issue? No leaks etc?

Thanks again

Advertisement
Old 05-01-2018, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
It seems most converters fit snuggly right onto the feed and the Con 70 doesnít quite do that. Iím assuming from your reply thatís not much of an issue? No leaks etc?
I didn't use the Con-70 with a "normal" nib unit (as in, not a JoWo or Bock unit with nib/feed/housing) that has a 0.10" diameter nipple that regular converters fit on. I built a section with a nipple specifically sized for the mouth of the Con-70.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you have a picture you can share of the unit? I was toying with the idea of making a plug thatíll fit inside the Con 70 and that plug will fit into the standard nib units. This however will not allow the push action button to work well I donít think...

Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Do you have a picture you can share of the unit? I was toying with the idea of making a plug thatíll fit inside the Con 70 and that plug will fit into the standard nib units. This however will not allow the push action button to work well I donít think...
Sorry, it was for a commissioned piece and I didn't take pix of the end of the section.

I now realize that I didn't make this for the Con-70, it was the Con-50 (which is shorter and has a different fill mechanism but the same diameter mouth as the Con-70).

That said -- since the Con-70 pump action is perfectly happy filling itself though the channels in the feed of a Pilot fountain pen, I reckon it should be okay doing it through the similar-sized channels in the feed of a JoWo or Bock nib unit. How big the mouth of the converter is shouldn't make a difference to this.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmm I may just give it the olícollege try lol. Thanks again for the input!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 2

In my early days of pen making, I used a con-70 on two occasions: once with a Jowo nib, and once with a Visconti nib. Neither nib was designed to work with the converter, and the converter was tightly friction fit in the back of the section to hold in in place. Both pens I made filled, and I guess were reasonably reliable, since I haven't heard any complaints from either owner. Would I vouch for its reliability and dependability? Knowing what I do know, probably not, since such proprietary parts are often finicky, as their whole purpose is to not be compatible with parts of other manufacture.
By all means have at it though. Experimenting and pushing yourself out of the box what makes this hobby fun.
Attached Thumbnails
soucy6.jpg   soucy7.jpg   soucy11.jpg   assem2.jpg   assem3.jpg  

jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Those pens look great! Thatís how I actually pictured itíll look but my main concern was functionality. Thank you giving some insight on that. How do proprietary pens hold the Con 70 if not via friction? I donít own a pen that uses one so Iím in the dark about that. Iíve seen pictures of pilot pens that have a feed lock of sorts ? Perhaps thatís the secret..

Old 05-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I believe pilot pens have a piece on the back of the section that fits up into the mouth of the converter, as well as being held in place by friction on the outside of the converter.
jalbert is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads