Photos area flips photos - whazzup with that - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Site Help, Tips, How-To Get and give help for using the FORUM SOFTWARE.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Default Photos area flips photos - whazzup with that

I've noticed that when I upload a photo, the forum tends to flip it.

Why does it do that, and how can I avoid it?

Here's an example. It's weird - when I open the original file on my computer, it's fine. But after uploading it, it's turned. And it doesn't seem to happen every time.

View in gallery

And here's one that didn't. What's the difference?

View in gallery
mgatten is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

It happens with my phone if it isn’t held vertical when I take the pictures. If you hold it in landscape mode it may get flipped. Something to do with how the data is saved in the phone. PIA isn’t it?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
It happens with my phone if it isnít held vertical when I take the pictures. If you hold it in landscape mode it may get flipped. Something to do with how the data is saved in the phone. PIA isnít it?
PETE: sure is!!!!
Dieseldoc is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 61

I've posted this before: The issue is that cell phone photos (and some cameras) are taken and saved in the exact way the camera sees them. BUT a small bit of data is saved in the photo EXIF data to say which way the photo should be orientated on display and which way was up when the photo was taken.

Cell phones look at the data in the EXIF area and some (most) recent photo editing programs do too, but some programs ignore the EXIF data, so the photos appear to be rotated or upside down. The Windows explorer doesn't look at the EXIF data so will show the photo sideways. The photo gallery here doesn't do this either, so the photos appear to be rotated or upside down.

To fix the photo permanently, Bring the photo up in a photo editing program and orient it properly(rotate), then save the photo. There are several free photo editing programs.

Hope this helps.....

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Randy does that work with the phone's picture software or do we have to get another editing app? Or does the photo have to be downloaded to the desktop and rotated and saved there?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Thank you for pointing me to the EXIF data.

All my graphic editing software was respecting the EXIF, so it all displayed it correctly. That's why I couldn't figure it out.

With that tip, I downloaded a free EXIF editor (EXIF Pilot) and just cleared out all the EXIF on all the files. And now they'll be perfect.

Thanks,
Marshall
mgatten is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Randy does that work with the phone's picture software or do we have to get another editing app? Or does the photo have to be downloaded to the desktop and rotated and saved there?
I use the free version of Photoshop on my phone. I just crop the photo a little, it then will save the photo as a separate file (in a Photoshop folder on your phone). Works for me. Not sure about the "camera" app on the phone, mine let's me crop images but I've never tested it on IAP uploads...
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I too had this problem some years ago. I found that on my iPhone/IPad, I can simply edit, crop, save and am ready to post to the forum. This solution is easy and works for me. My phone is a 5S so not new by any means.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 12

BTW, it is a good thing that the EXIF data is stripped from the image when uploading to IAP -- although it can be a little annoying. The EXIF contains a lot of information that you may not want to be putting out on the web, for example the GPS coordinates where the picture was taken...
Logged on members can hide ads