HELP!!!--Question about my pen turning--PEN BLANK STOPS!!! - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Site Help, Tips, How-To Get and give help for using the FORUM SOFTWARE.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 5

When you stop by Woodcraft, bring your mandrill and have them show you how to it set up on a lathe. I'm sure there is someone there that can walk you through it first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

This happened to me a few times. My blank has come unglued from the tube..

Heather is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Yes, you're missing bushings. The spacers that came with the mandrel saver are just to fill the space between the bushings and the mandrel saver so that you don't have to bring the tailstock as far to engage. The spacers aren't always necessary, but the bushings will be necessary. I may have missed the type of kit you're turning, but anything other than a 7mm slimline will do exactly what you're explaining is your issue. And even the 7mm kits may do this as well, not certain.

So you do need the bushings that are specific to each type of kit you are turning. The tube fits onto one end of the bushing, and you turn the blank to the size that doesn't fit into the tube, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps.

iMattDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have a problem like that and the glue wasn't holding
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 48

It seems odd you can tighten the tail so much that the blank cracks. If the end of the blank shows shiny brass, then you would have to be collapsing the brass tube. My tailstock slips well before that much pressure. If the ends are not square, perhaps the bushings (or spacers) are not seating well enough on the blank and allow slippage.

It's hard to tell from the pic but are ou trying to turn an acrylic? Perhaps starting out with wood might be easier.
carlmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Hi Diane,

First, glad you sorted out your problem!

Charlie W touched on this, and this might be something to consider for the future. When I started out with pen turning, I was using the tool rest that came with my lathe.

As I began to progress, I was finding that I couldn't get the tool rest close enough to the piece being turned and there was a bit of distance between my tool rest and the piece. I began to notice some vibration, especially when getting close to the bushings.

Then I had two blanks blow up on me. One was due to insufficient adhesive, the other was from this vibration (I think). At this point, I bought a different tool rest that was maybe 3 or 4 inches along the top (the post was the same diameter and length as the factory one).

This new tool rest allowed me to get as close as I wanted to the blank, and the vibration stopped as the tool overhang got a lot less.

So, now that you have a nice mandrel saver, at some point you might want to consider a new shorter tool rest.

Take care,
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

It looks like the mandrel saver is in the headstock. This should be in the tailstock and the other end of the mandrel in the headstock.
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z1HNgAJ7z4
Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
jrc

Photos: 4

I tried the pen saver mandrel but did not like how much I had to tighten to stop the blank from turning. A good idea but does not work well. No longer use it.
Logged on members can hide ads