Drilling pen blanks - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Site Help, Tips, How-To Get and give help for using the FORUM SOFTWARE.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
When the tailstock has been extended as far as it can go and you have not gone completely through the blank - back out the bit without loosening the tailstock, stop the lathe, loosen the tailstock, move the bit forward into the blank, tighten the tail stock again, then start the lathe and start advancing the bit again. The longest blanks should only need to have the tailstock reset once ....
I brought up the same thing on another thread a couple of days ago. The quote is how I'm doing it with modifications suggest by others. I plan on practicing on scrap wood to get the best way to drill and have the hole the same size from one end to the other.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Default Tailstock alignment

Hello Mark,
I'm a newbie and I'm reading this thread in order to glean some tips from the experienced turners.
I find drilling an accurate hole can be quite a challenge as there are so many possible variables.
One of those variables is tail alignment. Back in the day when I started to turn metal I made a simple jig to speed up re-setting the tail( after taper work) . This proved quite accurate for my standard of work.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/atta...1&d=1495133604

You will see that there is a very tiny hole drilled at the exact centre point. I made this by sliding the jig up to a rotating drill held in a small chuck. The jig can then be slid anywhere on the ways to confirm the tip of live centre will enter the hole.
The same would confirm the tip of your drill bit was centred, though not necessarily the back!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/atta...1&d=1495134033

The main use for this is for checking the height of cutting tools as you can see in the second pic.
An inexpensive project, may be of help to someone.
Attached Thumbnails
dscf5910-640x640.jpg   dscf5911-640x640.jpg  
needastick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 5

What material did you use for your centering jig?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I made the jig from 1/4"" brass sheet and some stable Teak stock. The wood hasn't moved and I machined it parallel and a tight fit to retain consistency.
Regards, Tony.
needastick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads