What materials are good for threading?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Andrew, all of those listed except the rhinoplastic should take threads very easily. rhinoplastic is PR and it is threadable, but it isn't the most ideal material.

Here's a couple more that I could think of: Cebloplast, Celluloid, Aluminum, Brass, and any of the Corian type material.

InvisibleMan

I've only threaded my own PR, but it works great for me. I need to try alumilite and some of the others to compare.

Last edited:

watch_art

If you use fine threads, say anything with a 28tpi or .75 pitch, PR is easy to thread. Just remember a good lubricant - I use cooking oil - and to go slow. A cold shop will kill it no matter what though.

Some of the rhino plastics thread better than others. The molten earth is awesome - while the really glittery purple/green is just okay.

Brooks803

Thanks Jonathon, so basically anything but PR should be OK to work with?

AK

Pretty much Andrew, althought I'd stay away from Inlace!

With PR what was used as pigment will have an effect on it's ability to thread easily or not. Micas tend to be easier I've found, while dyes tend to be a touch more brittle. Shawn does have a good point, fine threads and a good lubricant helps ALOT. Cold will make PR more prone to breaking.

Brooks803

I've seen both threaded before Robert. I would think the "harder" trustones would be the more difficult to thread. Even with that there are ways to work around it.

Texatdurango

Here's how I see it.......... taps and dies are steel, most of the material we use (ebonite, acrylic, alumilite, true stone, lucite, m3, etc) are basically soft material and ALL can be threaded, given the proper technique, tapping solutions and acquired skill.

I wouldn't say polyester resin can't be threaded or is hard to thread because all polyester isn't the same, the same is true with some of the other materials mentioned. Some polyester blanks are brittle and poor candidates for threading because the people making them don't know what they are doing, others do take the time to learn proper mixing ratios and their polyester blanks can be threaded easily!

Because of personal experiences and customer feedback, about the only materials I won't thread are Inlace Acrylester, m3 and true stone because it's been my experience that while they will take threads, the threads crack easily or wear down over a short time period of daily use. My hands down favorites are alumilite then ebonite.

Top Bottom