Video: Turning a Euro btw Centers w/o bushings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's a great video Grant. Everyone should try a few this way. It's not hard, and everything fits together really well doing the turning and checking with calipers vrs bushings that may or may not match the kit pieces.

GrantH

Thanks Bob. To me bushings just get in the way and eat up costs that aren't necessary to make a quality pen. I actually have better fitting pens now than I did in the few I made with bushings. You can be careful with a skew to not hit the bushings, but what a pain! I always used calipers anyways, so it was only natural to get away from bushings.

SDB777

Not to mention, when doing your sanding, there will be no chance of transferring metal dust onto your wood and making it look like a warm turd!

Scott ('tween centers rules) B

cseymour

Hi Grant -
That is a great video. Thanks for sharing. So you don't use any bushings, just the centers of the lathe go in to the tube ends of the pen -- is that correct?

Thanks.

GrantH

Hi Grant -
That is a great video. Thanks for sharing. So you don't use any bushings, just the centers of the lathe go in to the tube ends of the pen -- is that correct?

Thanks.

Exactly. You don't have to use a lot of pressure on the tail stock either, just enough to keep it from slipping. Too much and the brass warps. It's not fragile, but you can't not pay pay attention to it.

GrantH

Not to mention, when doing your sanding, there will be no chance of transferring metal dust onto your wood and making it look like a warm turd!

Scott ('tween centers rules) B

Yes! It's just all around much more fun and fulfilling to not use bushings for me.

ALA

Good video! Clear and to the point. Thanks. I hope to try this soon but first I need to pick up a chuck and a few things.

GrantH

... I wanted to show the other newcomers that YOU DONT NEED A MANDREL AND BUSHINGS!

This probably deserves to be over in the Penturning forum instead of the Advanced Penmaking forum.

We'll let the powers to be decide what they'd like to do with the thread. It is "advanced" as I am not using bushings and I between centers. I'm fine with it going over to that forum if it is better suited.

brownsfn2

Cool video. Just a few questions...

Did I see that you are using a bowl chuck to hold the pen for drilling? Isn't the inside of the jaws round? I usually turn my blank to round first before inserting into the jaws on my chuck. Now I am wondering if I need to.

I think I saw that you are squaring the blank to the tub on the lathe? How can you be sure it is perfectly square? I hate pen mills so I would love to eliminate that step if I can but I could not see how to do it and get it truly square on the lathe.

Do you have any problems with the blank slipping? Mine slips every once in a while and I tighten the tailstock up again. The problem is that eventually it expands the end of the brass tube ever so slightly. Just wondered if you have the same problem. Are you using the dead center from Grizzly?

Thanks for the video!

GrantH

I replied in red.

Cool video. Just a few questions...

Did I see that you are using a bowl chuck to hold the pen for drilling? Isn't the inside of the jaws round? I usually turn my blank to round first before inserting into the jaws on my chuck. Now I am wondering if I need to.

Yes, I am using a 4 jaw chuck with the shortest jaws it came with. They are indeed round on the inside. I have never had a slippage problem on wood or acrylic. I only turn round if it's an odd shape like the cholla blanks from Ed at Exotic.

I think I saw that you are squaring the blank to the tube on the lathe? How can you be sure it is perfectly square? I hate pen mills so I would love to eliminate that step if I can but I could not see how to do it and get it truly square on the lathe.

Yes, I face the blank on the lathe. The way I see it, if I get it faced even with the brass tube it is going to be as straight as I need it. With the blank being true, the brass will be straight so the wood matching it will be as well. The whole side may not be perfect perpendicular to the length of the brass tube, but the 1/16 to 1/8 inch left after being turned down...is.

Do you have any problems with the blank slipping? Mine slips every once in a while and I tighten the tailstock up again. The problem is that eventually it expands the end of the brass tube ever so slightly. Just wondered if you have the same problem. Are you using the dead center from Grizzly?

Every once in a while it slips, but it's not a problem. I do my best to not crank too hard, but I have also never had a brass tube bulge so I don't really know what that limit is. I am using a (I believe) Craftsman dead center.

Thanks for the video!

Not a problem, I plan on doing more soon!

GrantH

T53C

Hi Grant...a very nice job! Since I'm brand new to this world of pen turning...you've just help me trim down my "shoping list". A few questions I have:

1. Will this method work on any lathe? And if it will;

2. What would I need as tools to get started?

3. I favor my right hand due to a stroke back in 2001 and love a heavy "fat" chunky pen...which style would work best?

Many Thanks

jd99

Nice Video.. But got a couple of suggestions.

You need to raise the upper guide on that band saw it looks a little low. :wink:

Also that method would work for turning a small amount of pens, but when I turn, I usally turn for inventory, and it is a min of 12, up to 24 and sometimes more pens a day, the constant checking with calipers would greatly slow me down.

I turn between centers, but I use TBC bushings that I make that way I can turn to diameter, quickly and don't have to keep grabing the calipers, or stopping the lathe.

I remove the bushings, and put the blank back in the centers to finish sand, and finish then polish. (No CA on the bushing that way) :biggrin:

Justturnin

Nice Vid. Like mentioned, I would lower the guard on your BS. Mainly because someone watching may not know better. If you left it up so you could see maybe inset a note that the guard should be just above the blank for safety but you raised it for a clear view on the Vid.

Other than that nice to see how others do things. I never considered squaring on the lathe that way. Makes sense in several ways....

For Turning, I do the same thing but I use bushing to get me close then I remove them to clean up any out of round and sand then use Delrin to apply my CA.

Great Vid, can't wait to see the next. Been considering making one on my finishing.

Top Bottom