using pearl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I have someone asking me to make a pen with inlaid pearl for a 30th anniversary. Anyone have any good ideas to make a pen body out of a pearl looking material? I sure using a block of pearl is not possibly.

Another option I was thinking about was segmenting some other of mother of pearl into the wood body to give it a pearl accent. I don't really want to do the cast mother of pearl blanks that are commonly found.

A third option would be to engrave some initials and then fill them with a pearl material, but I don't know what could be used for that. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Look at luthiersupply.com They have many mop letters and designs that can be inlaid or glued to tubes and cast around. If big, you can stack 2 and round the bottom to better fit a tube. Done it many times.

jttheclockman

You could also use the sea shell veneer that looks like MOP. There are vendors that sell the blanks. They look very highend.

th

Last edited:

Dvoigt

Look at luthiersupply.com They have many mop letters and designs that can be inlaid or glued to tubes and cast around. If big, you can stack 2 and round the bottom to better fit a tube. Done it many times.

What size letters do you use? Seems like the smallest they have is 1/2" tall which seems too tall to wrap around a pen.

Dvoigt

Hello Derek

My suggestion would be to use Tru-Stone. They have white MOP

Here is an example. This was a pen set for my Nephew's wedding. White MOP and Black MOP

Where did you get your white MOP from? I can find alot of colored and mixed whites, but not straight white.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

What size letters do you use? Seems like the smallest they have is 1/2" tall which seems too tall to wrap around a pen.

There are many pens larger than 1/2" diameter. Like I said you may have to glue several together and round out the bottom. You could also call them and ask what they have in stock that is small. Very friendly company.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Hello Derek

My suggestion would be to use Tru-Stone. They have white MOP

Here is an example. This was a pen set for my Nephew's wedding. White MOP and Black MOP

Where did you get your white MOP from? I can find alot of colored and mixed whites, but not straight white.

Derk

I buy most of my Tru-stone from r and b crafts - tru-stone blanks

Please be aware that the price has increased drastically because of manufacturing disputes. The white I shown I painted the inside of the blank white. The black was opaque enough no paint needed.

Last edited:

JohnU

Not an easy route but not often seen... Buy some shell pieces at a hobby store and pick out the MOP and glue them to a painted tube and cast. I used to make these but the tweezer and ca glue process got old real quick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 206

Dvoigt

is there any sort of fill material that I can use to color fill an engraving that would look like pearl.

She doesn't like the whole pen to look pearl and the MOP letter on line are too big for the pen she wants to use.

Running out of options... and probably getting out of her price range!

jttheclockman

is there any sort of fill material that I can use to color fill an engraving that would look like pearl.

She doesn't like the whole pen to look pearl and the MOP letter on line are too big for the pen she wants to use.

Running out of options... and probably getting out of her price range!

The problem there is you probably will not get the effect or look that pearl will give you in that small of a sample size. You could take some epoxy and add some pearl powder and use that. You can cast a real pearl in the cap of a pen. You can do some segmenting using the pearl material I had shown. You can take strips of that pearl sea shell veneer and segment it into a black blank. That is all I have for now.

Skie_M

You can contact Mud Hole and see if they will laser cut your desired lettering at the size and style you wish out of their Abalone or Paua Shell veneer material (with adhesive backing) and have them send it to you.

Once you get it, treat it kinda like you would a decal ... prepare your pen blank a little undersize, and get a heat gun (or a blow-dryer). The heat helps make the shell veneer flexible, so it will bend around your pen barrel instead of cracking or breaking.

Once you have it on the pen barrel, coat it with thin CA and work your way to medium and thick CA. Start with 1000 grit wet and work your way to 12,000 micro mesh, polish with your choice of available finishers for plastic.

The decal work should run you less than 40 dollars for a custom laser cut design in abalone veneer.

*edit: They currently don't have an option to do a custom laser cut decal in abalone shell veneer. They most certainly do provide laser cut fish decals in abalone shell veneer. I'm making inquiries into exactly how much this service will cost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom