Threadless kitless FP - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Advanced Pen Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Advanced Pen Making Kit-less construction; designs and challenges beyond those normally associated with kit pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Thanks for the further explanation! I was indeed referring to the feed. I was thinking I would have to find an assembled section and remove the section, feed, filler, etc. But I'll be on the lookout for just the fillers.

I've seen some folks make homemade collets to be used in a 4 jaw or jacobs chuck. I'll have to try that out too so I have a way to hold these. If the goal is to do it without special tools (taps), then I should try my hand at that too and not buy the collet chuck that I wouldn't use a ton right now.

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Ingenious!!

However, being a belt and suspenders glass-half-empty kind of guy, I can't help but see a disaster somewhere down the road when a section slips out accidentally. I know it's not going to just jump out on its own, but I can easily imagine it lying on a desk under a halogen lamp and the air in the barrel expanding and . . .

Just a thought. I really do admire the idea though.

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Further thought on my last post. My example is probably not a good one. Pressure would be released by pushing ink out through the nib rather than forcing the section out. This sort of incident is not uncommon with eyedropper fillers.

One thing that might or might not be worth considering: Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens is a pen repair man and restorer who often pops up at Fountain Pen Network. While the use of silicone grease on the threads of eyedropper fillers to prevent leakage is almost universal, he recommends beeswax for 2 reasons. The first is that silicone grease works only because it is hydrophobic, but doesn't really seal. The second is that silicone is a lubricant and encourages over tightening the section and cracking the barrel threads. Would the lubricant property make a lapped joint more likely to come apart?

Beeswax might be a little bit too sticky to work in this situation, although with a little heat, maybe.

I would still like to see some sort of positive stop though.

FWIW

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I hadn't thought about Beeswax, but I think I'll try it.

I use a little silicon grease on the stub as a lubricant to facilitate removing it for refilling, not to seal it (my joints don't leak). Ebonite can be really difficult to pull apart if not lubricated since it is actually rubber against rubber and tends to have a lot of friction resistance. I'm going to try the Beeswax to see how that works, and maybe make one with a acrylic or resin body to see how that works using an Ebonite section (I love Ebonite) both with and without a lubricant or sealer.

FWIW, the entire rear stub of the section is a tight slip fit up till about the last 3/16 inch which is slightly larger to form a very tight fit. It works like an O-ring to both form an extremely leak proof final seal (I did try O-rings but decided it just complicates things) and gives the section a very firm and solid mount in the body.

FWIW, it is tight enough that without the lubricant it is very difficult to remove and even with lubricant it takes a definite intention to pull it out so there is no danger of it accidentally coming out. It is every bit as solid as if it were a threaded joint, maybe more solid, not loose or wobbly or something.

I'll probably try a looser fit on the next one I make, if I get around to making another, to see if it actually needs to be that tight of a fit for the full length or if just the last fraction of an inch needs to be tight to fully hold it with some silicon or Beeswax making the seal on the rest of the stub without it being tight (which would be easier to fit without spending much time doing it).
frank123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads