Threading using taps and dies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Hopefully, this can become a thread that we can share with all pen makers when this question comes up.

Do you have any favorite references or files that you would recommend for someone to learn how to use taps and dies for making pens?

These are some of my favorites:

Complete kitless pen http://mkmk.com/swiwt/PDF/kitless_pen.pdf

Kitless oen video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQna36uThA

Tap and drill sizes http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Reference/TapDrillSizes.pdf

General tap and die instructions http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/taps_dies_kitless.pdf

Drill bit sizes http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/drillchart1.pdf

Please add any links you think will be helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very nicely done Chris. I think the title will be helpful when people do a search for such things. That is important to remember when doing something like this. Thanks.

SteveG

This is a great reference thread, with more to be added as people contribute. For this reason, I "Subscribe" (found in the header under "Thread Tools") to threads that I know I will be searching for in the future. It makes for an easier search.

Rink

I watched the kitless pen youtube video. I always wondered how threading was done on a lathe. Yes, I know it's not complicated, maybe I should have just intuitively figured it out...but I have never done it or seen it before. So it was a great learning for me. Very well explained step by step. Someday I hope to dive into the kitless world.

Thanks a lot for posting this up.

Quality Pen

eggcellentmrburns.jpg

Joey-Nieves

Drill size calculator. I've found this guy useful, most people use the 1mm thumb rule for metric taps, but that only works for the by 1 threads. also found that 100% thread is not good for pen making, because the thread is to tight. The site also explains this relationship further.
Guhring, Inc. - Tap-Drill

Curly

Drill size calculator. I've found this guy useful, most people use the 1mm thumb rule for metric taps, but that only works for the by 1 threads. also found that 100% thread is not good for pen making, because the thread is to tight. The site also explains this relationship further.

For those like myself that want to have that kind of info handy in the shop rather than in the den on the desktop there is a free app for the iPhone called iMachinist that can do the same. There are no doubt others too.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

For those like myself that want to have that kind of info handy in the shop rather than in the den on the desktop there is a free app for the iPhone called iMachinist that can do the same. There are no doubt others too.
Thanks Pete! Wonder if that will work with a Samsung Galaxy?

Curly

I doubt it. Different operating systems I think. There should be a version of it on whatever site you get apps for that kind of phone though.

ELA

Excellent information. I have only made fountain and ballpoint pens from kits so far. I have always been facinated with the kitless pens I have seen. I am going to have to try this.

hornet406

Thank you for posting this link. Just before this arrived I asked for help in finding info for kitless pens. Coincidence...... I think not!

Is there a good place (one stop shop) that has all the needed taps and dies in either a kit or can be combined from one supplier? The issue I have had is finding the needed sizes.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
No
THere is no one stop answer. Victor.net has most of the fine thread ones. If you want to do fountain pens you will need to pick a brand and buy the taps for that brand of feeds.

farmer

Dies with guilds

In the link above or if you have metal lathe ( engine lathe )
you can make one for yourself.
I prefer live cutter to cut wooden threads but that is off topic discussion.

these die's work pretty good, but I would use some time to lube the die so it doesn't ear the wood and then the wood flakes off the wooden threads.
These die's slide onto a SS guild and is free floating.
The two pipe looking objects are the die.
You use your hand to do the turning of the die and the guild makes sure your theads start of straight .

In the 2nd picture the die that is made out of brass is now on the guild .
I also use some strange wood thread Example is 3/8x 10, 3/8 x 8, 3/8x11
Well I hope this gives some of you guys some great ideas to expand your knowledge on how to make some really cool stuff..

Top Bottom