Thread Taping in wood and PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

heineda

Hello,

I am very interested in making a few of the kitless pens I have seen on this board. I think I am ready for this step(maybe), and I would like to know what kind of tap and die set would be needed to cut the threads? Any guideline for inside diamaters for top/bottom to match up with threads cut? Are tutorials available for this process?

Thanks,
Dan

ldb2000

Hi Dan
Looks like everyones asleep here so...
The Tap and Die that you want will be a Triple Start Thread which are very expensive because they are only available on special order .
Most of the photos you have seen are done with a set that we got in a group buy that JJudge ran a few months ago based on the ElGrande threading .
Several others are threading on a metal lathe and a few have used regular tap and dies to do the threading with a standard thread .
Read through the posts here in the Advanced forum and you will get some idea of what is involved .
Ask around the forums if anybody wants to sell the one they bought in the group buy , about 35 poeple bought them but I have only seen a handful being used so ....

bitshird

Dan, something thing to remember, while a multi lead thread generally takes less turns to travel it's distance it also has three or in some cases 4 possible places to engage the threads.
This really is of no consequence unless you are making caps that post, try it with a Baron, on a roller ball no problem, but with a fountain pen where will the clip be? could be at any of three or four locations, one is great;hopefully it will line up with the nib.
Now consider making a snap cap pen, it makes no difference, and most of the top pens are snap cap, True you have to think things through a bit, bu remember acrylics and other PR materials do have a bit of flex, so the can expand to fit over a small ridge,
If you just want to make a simple fountain pen, there really is no need for the 200.00 set of taps that were ordered with the wrong relief, all you need is a tap and die for the front section I believe it was a 10 x.75 mm which is available from several machine shop supply company's.
I may be mistaken about the pitch of the thread, but that's easy to find out just ask Texatdurango, also there are some very fine taps and dies in 1/2 inch sizes if you simply must do screw caps, you can buy 1/2 56 tpi. tap and die for about 45.00 for both, the only potential down side is you may have to turn the cap 6 to 8 revolutions to get it off, or thread mill to a very coarse thread like 1/2 in by 1 or 1-1/2 tpi. for wood and threading other than the very coarse tpi. will give headaches, Ebonite, Catlinite, Bakelite, most PR will be better.

Top Bottom