Thread size for Parker pencil mechanism?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I am trying to figure the right tap for the Parker Style Pencil Mechanism - 0.5mm:

https://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4996

It's very close to 7/32 - 32 but not quite it. I am not versed in tap and die sizing and need some help. I am thinking an m5.5 or m6 x .5 tap might be the proper tap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't tried making any of these, so I can't offer an answer -- but have you asked Bear Tooth Woods?

Cwalker935

I am trying to figure the right tap for the Parker Style Pencil Mechanism - 0.5mm:

https://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4996

It's very close to 7/32 - 32 but not quite it. I am not versed in tap and die sizing and need some help. I am thinking an m5.5 or m6 x .5 tap might be the proper tap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't tried making any of these, so I can't offer an answer -- but have you asked Bear Tooth Woods?

They did not know.

bmachin

32 tpi is not close to .5mm. It is much closer to .8mm. (1/32"=.793mm). (.5mm=.020"). (.75mm=.030")

Sorry, but it's the only help that I can offer. You might take these numbers to victornet.com and check their taps to see if they have any metreic taps that appear close.

Bill

magpens

I trust your word, Cody, but reading your reference to 7-32 caused me some surprise. I looked up the clearance hole size for that and find it to be something like 0.16", if I am interpolating the reference table correctly. That is quite a bit smaller than the 5.75mm (0.226") size of the thread stated by Milan.

Even a 7-32 tap is "non-standard". But Victornet does have them and I bought a couple for a special purpose I have related to using the click mechanism out of a Slimline Pro to make a so-called "kitless" pen. Turns out that the "stub" of that click mechanism is threaded 7-32 for screwing on a pushbutton.

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Haven't measured that one, but attached is a concept I have used many times. Measure the OD over the threads and size the tap just a little larger. Take a picture of the threads next to a steel rule, blow up the picture and count a number of threads that comes close to lines on the rule. Do some calculations, and it should work. The attached was from a Pentel Pencil nib and bought the taps on EBay.

Attachments

• thread measuring.pdf
    376.4 KB · Views: 140

Cwalker935

The OD of the threads is exactly 7/32 or around 5.6 mm, using Bruces's thread counting method I get .75 mm or 34 tpi. Given that the Milan's pens info seems to be right. That solves one problem but raises another- where to find a m5.75 x .75 tap. I am not having any luck finding one and wonder if a m6 x .75 would work. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom