Thoughts on Aluminum Rollerball?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I am playing with a slimmer Rollerball using 1/2" round aluminum stock and powder coating. The 1/2 round stock does not leave much room for more contouring, particularly on the upper barrel. This is my first try. I think the nose cone needs more taper and I could taper the lower barrel. Would add a clip or roll stop and use more vibrant colors. Any thoughts, criticisms or comments.

556DF13E-C471-4D03-A7A2-D59A0075E9BD.jpg

7B11D875-9BA0-406D-AB5F-76374F3D236F.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I use 10 x.75 inside 12 x .75 single cap thread or 12 x.8 triple cap thread, on a pen with .510 od body and .565 od cap. (apx 13mm and 14mm)
I use 8.5 x .75 inside 10 x .75 cap thread on smaller bodied pens and caps.
That allows me to make them either roller ball or Fountain pen and still use a converter.
I use a through hole of .307 to allow the converter to pass through on the 8.5 threads.
I use 9 x.75 or 8 x .75 if I have no need to worry about it being used as a fountain pen.

PatrickR

I like it. I made one similar in shape and size out of a RAW kit and pheasant wood. It feels great in the hand, but without anything to define the cap or a clip its not obvious that its a pen when closed.
Taper the nose cone and add a few details.
Nice work!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My comments are only to the color, finish and profile - I have little experience to add to the other issues.

From what I see, a black matte finish - I LOVE that! The basic profile of the finished pen I also like. A slight taper at each end might be nice, but as displayed, it's very nice.

Very nice, Cody.

I'd love to see a version with a slight taper at both end, same finish and no roll stopper or clip! (How's that for a request!!)

Last edited:
Love the matte black... makes me want to see how it would look in matte purple (hint hint :wink: ). I like the look of the closed pen a lot, but I agree that more of a taper on the nose cone would look a little better.

stuckinohio

Love the body and cap shape. I too think the nose cone could use more of a taper, or maybe a dished area like a fountain pen section then the short taper to refill.

Loving the flat black. I'd like to see you get crazy and add accents in red.

magpens

Telepathic Pen-Making ... Miles Beyond Uri Geller

I was right about thinking "powder coating" a week or so ago.

Can't get over this coincidence. Is it paranormal ?

September 3, 2014 5:51 PM PDT - Michelle Starr

https://www.cnet.com/news/brain-to-brain-verbal-communication-in-humans-achieved-for-the-first-time/

A team of researchers has successfully achieved brain-to-brain human communication using non-invasive technologies across a distance of 5,000 miles.

Humans just got a step closer to being able to think a message into someone else's brain on the other side of the world: in a first-of-its-kind study, an international team of researchers has successfully achieved brain-to-brain transmission of information between humans.

Cwalker935

I was right about thinking "powder coating" a week or so ago.

Can't get over this coincidence. Is it paranormal ?

September 3, 2014 5:51 PM PDT - Michelle Starr

https://www.cnet.com/news/brain-to-brain-verbal-communication-in-humans-achieved-for-the-first-time/

A team of researchers has successfully achieved brain-to-brain human communication using non-invasive technologies across a distance of 5,000 miles.

Humans just got a step closer to being able to think a message into someone else's brain on the other side of the world: in a first-of-its-kind study, an international team of researchers has successfully achieved brain-to-brain transmission of information between humans.

It is truly frightening to think that Mal is controlling my mind, on the other hand, I can always tell SWMBO that Mal made me do it.

magpens

More likely, Cody, based on sequence of events, it would seem that you are controlling MY mind ! . At present, that doesn't scare me at all because, so far, I greatly admire your thought processes that seem to motivate the great pen designs and innovations that you come up with !!! . Keep it up !!!! . So far I like it and willingly accept the potential in all this !! :wink:

Last edited:

MiteyF

As a lover of the aluminum Raw kits, I really like this. Personally with a pen as simple as this, I think a small roll stop would look nicer than a clip.

Top Bottom