Steps I use for Scalloping *Long*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

packerb

Segmented pens

Hi Tim, after reading your tutorial i went straight to the shop and give it a try. I have found out after six failed attempts, it is not an easy task. I am having problems with the scallops not being uniform in size. You answered the question about your blank being square. I am having a problem drilling a straight hole. Tried my metal lathe, a little better but it has to be prefect are it troughs the whole pen off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Den

Great instructions!!

Joined IAP yesterday!
After seeing pictures of Mark Gisi's scalloped pens in Bary Gross's "The Pen Turner's Workbook, I've been trying to work out how he made the blanks.
Many thanks for your informative pictures along with the link to Mark's pdf.
I'm studying all the information and plan to start a fountain pen blsnk today.
Kind regards,
John Den (from Bideford, Devon in the UK)

wiset1

It's been some time since I've been able to get into the shop let alone on this forum, so it's pretty awesome to see that turners are still finding this thread and being inspired to try new things. It's not easy and probably one of the more difficult pens you'll make, but at the end of the day you'll learn so much and be inspired to try new things. I just ask that you share what you've learned with others.

Best wishes to everyone out there

Bill Sampson

Tim,
Your comment,"I just wish you would share what you learned with others" is becoming a reality.
When you visited the Richmond Pen Group several months ago, one of our members, John Penberthy was facinated with your scallop pens. He started working on them and after many blanks going into his "jar of shame" he would make you proud. I saw his latest scallop pen today and it is beautiful. John is going to demo his process in making this type pen at our next meeting. "Sharing what he learned"
Thank you for sharing, inspiring, and challenging others to turn pens they didn't think possible.
Bill Sampson, Richmond

GaryMGg

...I don't see how you got from the last picture you showed during turning (the one with the scallop on the white piece of material) & the finished product....

Tony,
When you glue the blank, you have square edges -- or close to it.
As you turn away part of the square or rectangle, the straight line becomes a curve. Hence, the scallop.

Take two blanks, cut the ends at 45 degrees and glue the two pieces together to form a single blank again.
Now turn it round and look at the straight line which was the seam.
It's curved. Same thing.

wiset1

Tim,
Your comment,"I just wish you would share what you learned with others" is becoming a reality.
When you visited the Richmond Pen Group several months ago, one of our members, John Penberthy was facinated with your scallop pens. He started working on them and after many blanks going into his "jar of shame" he would make you proud. I saw his latest scallop pen today and it is beautiful. John is going to demo his process in making this type pen at our next meeting. "Sharing what he learned"
Thank you for sharing, inspiring, and challenging others to turn pens they didn't think possible.
Bill Sampson, Richmond

Bill,

I'm so happy to hear this! When I was up there trying to explain the process it seemed that I was getting a lot of blank stares. It's always easier to show someone than explaining the process so I'm truly excited that John was inspired to not only attempt the process, but to perfect it well enough to share with others.

I wish I had the time to attend more meetings or even get into the shop for that matter, but just hearing this inspires me to keep hope alive. Thank you Bill for keeping me informed, and I would love to see pics of the meeting.

avbill

Tim as I look at your photos are you using a Majestic or a Jr. Majestic ?

If its a jr majestic the strips for the barrel of the pen are .170 inch thick or roughly 3/16th of an inch

my question is:

is the type of segment ion with the long lateral better with Full Majestic's or Statemens pens?

i'm not talking about the scapulas

Top Bottom