Sharpie refill thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

Thanks! This was my "test" pen, just to see how it would work out. I don't remember the size bits I used, but I epoxied the refill into the body. Then epoxied the little cap that came with the refill into the cap I turned.

I ordered an M11x1.0 and found that the refill wouldn't pass through it. Had intended on getting a M12x1, but got busy on other projects and forgot about it until I saw this thread.

This looks much like the Sherpa

www.sherpapens.com

From their website:

The Sherpa™ is unique in its shape and design. Although there are many markers and disposable pens to choose from, there are specific styles that fit the Sherpa™ perfectly. You can personalize your Sherpa™ with any color of these markers that fits your style:

:: Sharpie® Fine Point Permanent Marker*
:: uni-ball® Vision™
:: uni-ball® Vision Elite™
:: uni-ball® Deluxe
:: Papermate Liquid Espresso®*
:: Pilot® P-700
:: Pilot® P-500
:: Pilot® V-Ball Grip
:: Pilot® V Razor®

Demo of how they go together.

http://www.pencity.com/Sherpa/SherpaDemo.htm

Brian

Attachments

• sherpa brushed gunmetal.jpg
    sherpa brushed gunmetal.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 214

Texatdurango

My first thought about the Sherpa is that it would be the type of shell to make if I were going this route. Why settle on making a copy of the Sharpie shell which only holds one brand and I'm guessing one color, when you can make a shell that will accept existing markers in several brands?

Of course in either case you would have to make a near perfect copies of copyrighted pens. And that brings me to my second thought..... Now and then a thread pops up about others stealing ideas from IAP members and producing their own items, isn't this about the same thing in reverse?

Looks like we're on the lookout for neat ideas to copy ourselves! Small world afterall I guess. :)

johnm

Point Well Taken

Point well taken...

When i posted this the first time, i had not seen the link to the Sherpa website. I thought it would be neat to make a wooden pen that had a front section of a sharpie refill. I didn't think this to be any different than making a pen from scratch to take other types of name brand refills. I use a lot of sharpie markers, and thought this would be neat.

I was really only asking if anyone knew the thread size, didn't mean for this thing to morph into something completely different.

titan2

Didn't mean to offend anyone... i thought this would be kindof neat.

John,

Don't worry about offending anyone.......if anyone is offended by your original post, then "THEY" need to get a life! I too think that it's kind of neat.....when you hear back on the tap, let me know.

Barney

Texatdurango

Relax, I don't think you offended anyone, least not me. I just said what I did based on the Sherpa post.

I think these might be some neat pens and you are right, they are just another pen using a branded refill. But the Sherpa could be another situation.

johnm

Tap Size

Ok... I heard back from Tapco USA. It is a .450x26 Tap. I am going to order some. The biggest break is after 12 people, but let me know if you want one. I am going to order in a few days.

No offense taken here and none intended

I agree with the previous comments. I did not intend to offend and am certainly not offended. Just offering up something I have seen and wondered how I could copy. I bought one just for that purpose! I have not really got to the point of a total custom pen yet. Just not enough time right now, perhaps when the kids are a little older. In the mean time I save pictures, tutorials, and subscribe to threads like this one for my maybe/someday file.

Brian

sdemars

Put me in . .

if i can get to 12, they are $30. If i can only get 6, they are about $50.

You can include me in the list . . . I would prefer the $30.00 price, but I'll take what I can get. I take it they are 100% sure this is the correct size & not just the closest . . . lol lol lol

You may want to post your intention in the CNC section also. I understand that currently it is somewhat of a pain to mount a Sharpie to a CNC to make a trial run. This would give them a way to mount with repeatability . . .

Just a thought .
Steve

DurocShark

But I'm interested!!! Oh, wait, I'm already in it... ;)

So is that an oddball size? I don't remember seeing it in any of my sets...

titan2

OK, everybody......Johnm has a 'Group Buy' for this tap listed.

Go put your name in if you're interested......we need just 5 more for the lower price!

Come on, you know you want to do it!!!!

Barney

Nowicki

Well guys I have been watching this thread with interest. I have wanted to do something like this for a while. I was playing with some pieces of kits I messed up and found that the sharpie refill threaded right into the threaded cap for the El Grande fountain pen kit. I went to woodcraft today and was informed that they have discontinued that kit. Probably couldn't get just that piece anyway. Thought I had an easy quick fix. O well put me in for one. I'll post in the group buy thread.

Thanks
Larry

Last edited:

bruce119

I am having second thoughts about the refillable sharpie. I can not find it anywhere in the stores around here Wal Mart or Office Depot. If I can not find it then the customer will have a hard time finding it.

I do like making something like a Sherpa that will hold an existing sharpie. It gives the user so much more options different colors and readily available.

Just my thoughts

Nowicki

Got mine at staples....right on the shelf. Also came right up on ebay.

I am having second thoughts about the refillable sharpie. I can not find it anywhere in the stores around here Wal Mart or Office Depot. If I can not find it then the customer will have a hard time finding it.

I do like making something like a Sherpa that will hold an existing sharpie. It gives the user so much more options different colors and readily available.

Just my thoughts

johnm

Order Online

Office Max, i dont beleive carries them, Office Depot Does. I ordered a bunch of them on the online ordering for a very good price, and they were shipped right to my door.

Jgrden

Office Depot waned $9.95 for shipping. Makes the cost $2.77 for each refill. Not bad but I don't agree with the $9.95 shipping so I will move my little fanny down to Office Depot tomorrow to see if they have any in stock.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I am still hooked on 1mm threads. Even made a mandrel with built in bushing for turning the holders.

SHARPMAN.JPG

Chuckie

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have s slightly smaller OD extension past the threads to support the turning? Sort of like an internal steady rest.

Chuck Key

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have s slightly smaller OD extension past the threads to support the turning? Sort of like an internal steady rest.

That might help in a few cases. I try to keep the blank supported by the tail stock as long as possible. Also, the blank butts up square on the bushing shoulder which gives it lots of support.

John

Nowicki

Would it be possible to use the refill itself...If you thread the blank and put the refill into it then chuck it up in the lathe could it be strong enough that if turned lightly it could serve as the mandrel?????

Larry

bruce119

Would it be possible to use the refill itself...If you thread the blank and put the refill into it then chuck it up in the lathe could it be strong enough that if turned lightly it could serve as the mandrel?????

Larry

I am looking at and hold a refill rite now and I would say no. Rite idea but the refill has a taper and I don't think you would be able to chuck it up and get it true at least with repeatability. Not to mention it is plastic BUT a mandrel made from metal heck even a hard wood the same size and shape as the refill should work good.

just my 2 cents

Nowicki

I am looking at and hold a refill rite now and I would say no. Rite idea but the refill has a taper and I don't think you would be able to chuck it up and get it true at least with repeatability. Not to mention it is plastic BUT a mandrel made from metal heck even a hard wood the same size and shape as the refill should work good.

just my 2 cents

So then should we be looking for a die to thread the mandrel?

Larry

dennisg

I'm not sure how this will work but I was planning to use my mandrel for a closed end Jr Gent. I plan to use a blank drilled for the Jr Gent tube and turn it down to fit inside the new Sharpie body. I can then split it on the band saw so that it will expand and hold the turning. At this time I my just use the included cap. I will keep reading for some better ideas from you guys.

bruce119

We need someone to come up with a tutorial. The pen is fairly straight forward. The biggest problem I can foresee would be a clip for the cap. You shouldn't need the pen it's self other than 1 for reference. But to build the pen all you should need is the refill. I can see using the plastic cap on the refill and glue it into the cap. But a clip would be a little more challenging I haven't gave that much thought. It would be nice to make it postable also as it is now. Then again that should be easy with careful sizing.

Just a few things to think about. I am sure once the taps come some of you guys that do good tutorials will get one made. Like I said the biggest problem I can see is a stable secure clip.

BigguyZ

We need someone to come up with a tutorial. The pen is fairly straight forward. The biggest problem I can foresee would be a clip for the cap. You shouldn't need the pen it's self other than 1 for reference. But to build the pen all you should need is the refill. I can see using the plastic cap on the refill and glue it into the cap. But a clip would be a little more challenging I haven't gave that much thought. It would be nice to make it postable also as it is now. Then again that should be easy with careful sizing.

Just a few things to think about. I am sure once the taps come some of you guys that do good tutorials will get one made. Like I said the biggest problem I can see is a stable secure clip.

Careful Bruce, you're asking for tutorials sounds a lot like wanting to be spoon fed! ;)

But seriously, I have no idea how people on here make their own clips, so I'd definitely be interested in learning how.

You could do without, but I'd prefer having the option.

DurocShark

For some pens the only reason I put a clip on is to keep the @#$%^ thing from rolling off the desk/bench/counter/whatever.

A simple clip can be made from a piece of 1/16" aluminum or brass rod and holes drilled in the cap. A dab of epoxy in the holes and you have a clip. Also wraparound clips can be made from the same material. Use a transfer punch or something similar just slightly smaller than the diameter of the clip and wrap it around a few times, then bend a clip out of it.

Use your imagination!

bruce119

Careful Bruce, you're asking for tutorials sounds a lot like wanting to be spoon fed! ;)

But seriously, I have no idea how people on here make their own clips, so I'd definitely be interested in learning how.

You could do without, but I'd prefer having the option.

I know I know I'm just trying to get the juices flowing and doing a little fishing :rolleyes:

Top Bottom