Sharpie refill thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnm

Threading

Thanks for the info... i sent a re-fill into tapco usa, they are going to measure it and make me a tap that fits... let me know if you want one, the price gets significantly cheaper the more i order.

johnm

Pictures

Don't have a picture, but do a search on google, sharpie has made a stainless pen that is goofy lookign becuase it has sharpie written all over it, but the ink is in a threaded refill that threads into the body, so i am going to make my own pen, but i need the thread count so i can tap a lower pen section.

titan2

Thanks for the info... i sent a re-fill into tapco usa, they are going to measure it and make me a tap that fits... let me know if you want one, the price gets significantly cheaper the more i order.

John,

I checked it out, like you said.......looks pretty cool. Let me know what you come up with in pricing....I'd probably be interested if the 'Price is Right'.......LOL

THANKS,

Barney

johnm

Ok

Let me know (Moderator), i don't want to get in trouble for this turning into a group buy kinda thing, it started out just looking for info.... should i move this to the group buy Forum?

johnm

Pretty sure its not a standard thread. M11 is too small and M12 is too big. I put a caliper on it and the major diameter is about 11.2.

johnm

Thread

You guys might be right... rather than the endless trial and error, the Tapco people are supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know what it is.

johnm

Calling

I guess i could... i may have stupided out on that one, but i thought of it, and i figured that they wouldn't give me that information, so i didn't call them.

sdemars

Forget . . .

I guess i could... i may have stupided out on that one, but i thought of it, and i figured that they wouldn't give me that information, so i didn't call them.

Forget my "Bright" idea . . . I did and Sharpie says that is proprietary information and will not release it . . . .

It was a good try . . .

You were right . . . .they won't share . . .

I think your TAPCO idea was the best . . . please include me in a "tap" buy . . .

Steve

Last edited:

bgibb42

They can be found at Office Depot, etc. I use sharpies everyday, and when I heard about this, I ran out and got one. Gotta say, the SS sharpie is kinda cool. Pics aren't the greatest, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• DSCF1668.jpg
    DSCF1668.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCF1670.jpg
    DSCF1670.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCF1671.jpg
    DSCF1671.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 377

juteck

McMaster Carr carries a variety of taps, including NEF series and others.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#taps

Select the pull down tabs at the top to see the variety of sizes they have.

Here's some more good reading if you're bored:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

I don't have a refill to measure, but if you measure the major diameter and the pitch with calipers, you should be able to see if there is a standard size that's close. Here's some more reading about measuring.....

http://mdmetric.com/tech/tic1e.htm#measproc

http://mdmetric.com/tech/tic1b.htm

bgibb42

Interesting. So it's an actual sharpie marker. Cool. Is the cap friction fit onto it?

Yes. While the stainless steel holder is cool (think "Back to the Future"), I would like to make my own holders for the refills. Time to learn how to make closed end pens.

johnm

Tap Size

When I measured the major diamter, it was around an M11.2, I don't have an extensive tap and die set, so rather doing the old purchase taps just to try gig, i sent it off, i hope to hear from them today.

John

juteck

OK - now I have a refill to measure.....

Major diameter = 0.451 - 0.454"

~ 11.45 -11.53mm ---> 11.5 mm ---> not standard, consider using 12mm
7/16 = 0.4375" ---> too small
15/32 = .46875" ---> not standard
1/2" = 0.5" --> loose fit

4 thread pitch ~ 0.154"; 1 thread pitch ~ 0.0385" ~ 1mm ~ 26 TPI

M12x1.0 has a major diameter of ~0.472", and is available at McMaster Carr for $30.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#26015a222/=4adoqu

I'm curious now to see how measurements differ from others - how loose of a tolerance are these? They do appear to be injection molded threads, not cut, so I expect pretty loose fitting.

juteck

From a drill/tap chart, the 1/2-20 requires a 29/64" (0.4531") pre-drilled hole to tap for a 75% thread, or 15/32" (0.4839") hole for 50% thread. Since the major diameter of the refill I have ranged from 0.451 - 0.454", a 1/2-20 with 0.4531 pre-drilled hole would be too large.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Chuck, What are you going to do with the cap? Could you not use the stainless cap and then have a look similar to whatever pen kit it is that has an all metal cap?

johnm

Chuckie

Chuckie, i am right along with you, you need to drill a 7/16 hole to get the refilll through... what tap size did you use to get the threads in?

Texatdurango

bgibb42

I know they would be cheap but I wonder if HF would have such a tap?

John

Yes, they do. Several years ago, I bought a 40 pc. set of metric tap and dies from HF for $9.99. The M12.0 x 1.0 is one of the largest in the set. Although they're cheap, they work quite well and can last a long time if properly cared for.

iowacobb

Pen with Sharpie refill

Just a note of caution. Sharpie may have some protection on this pen design and certainly cares about their trademark. The pen you create is not a Sharpie pen, but could be called a pen with Sharpie(R) refill.

While the chances are slim, just trying to prevent the nasty letter from their attorney.

tim

Daniel

I agree with Tim, We have seen this happen in the past when people use the name Mont Blanc etc. It is Mont Blanc Style at best and even better avoid brand names at all.

Top Bottom