Roll stops?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

I'm interested in expanding my pen turning towards segmented, clipless, and kitless pens. I've already found a lot of suppliers for components, with one exception: roll stops. The stops I've found so far are $10, $20 and up. Does anybody have a source they could share for inexpensive roll stops, or info/ideas on making your own?

Thanks,
Art

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

OK Art :
You got me on this one!!!!:eek: Roll stop, Back in my drag racing days we use system to hold vehicle front brakes called roll stop, in California if you get caught making a roll stop the ticked will be $400.00, so what is the roll stop in wood turning?

charlie

Terredax

Banned
OK Art :
You got me on this one!!!!:eek: Roll stop, Back in my drag racing days we use system to hold vehicle front brakes called roll stop, in California if you get caught making a roll stop the ticked will be $400.00, so what is the roll stop in wood turning?

charlie

I think what you are referring to, is now called a line lock.
In my younger days, we just used the brake pedal, and did "power braking".

In any event, for a custom roll stop, you could use precious metal clay. There are, or used to be, many, many molds that could be used to shape the clay.
You could also look at jewelry making websites. There are many items that could be utilized as a roll stop. Maybe a small dimple drilled in the cap to place a Swarovski crystal? Or for the discriminating eccentric... a flawless diamond?

magpens

I just don't understand why women have to wear earrings ... totally distracting !

magpens

You could also look at jewelry making websites. There are many items that could be utilized as a roll stop. Maybe a small dimple drilled in the cap to place a Swarovski crystal? Or for the discriminating eccentric... a flawless diamond?
How about a thumb tack ... or maybe that term is not understood in this century

Gregory Hardy

Ear rings are easy (and you get two pens out of each pair)! Precious metal clay works to, but I have found it easier to work with precious metal sheet and some files. Earring posts are cheap and so is solder.

Woodchipper

Off the topic a bit but we called the front locking brakes, drag brakes. When on the line, you popped the clutch while holding the front brakes. When the Christmas tree hit green, you released the front brakes and took off down the strip. College buddy had them on his full blown Dodge 440. Used to amaze people when his tires were smoking and he wasn't moving!

anthonyd

Hi Art,

I get most of mine from a few local beading stores in my area. Just search beading supplies on Google and you will most likely find one near where you live. I have bought small metal feathers, faces, swords, police boxes, four leaf clovers, baseball bats, frogs, fish, etc. Most of them were under a dollar each.

Tony

Top Bottom