RESIN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lesnpam

HELLO ALL
just been reading topic regarding resin casting using alluminum tube
has anyone tried this as the article said the rod would just tap out
without using any release agent iwas going to coat the inside of the tube with silycon or is this not nesessary
regards
les

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

I don't see why the tube wouldn't just tap out. The PR shrinks as it cures. It works with PVC tubes. I spose you could use a release agent, but it's most likely not ness.

bitshird

Are you using Polyester Resin or Alumilite, PR like Silmar 41 shrinks, I don't think Alumilite shrinks as much, Curtis "Mesquiteman" is the expert on Alumilite.

rdunn12

Alumilite does not shrink like pr,at least from what I have seen.I made a mold from some old corian I had and it worked fine for pr.The first time I tried Alumilite in it I had to break the mold to get it out.Ronald.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ken and Ron are correct, Alumilite shrinks VERY little and certainly not enough to facilitate easy removel. You would need a release agent if using Alumilite.

sbell111

Whether it is easy to remove the resin from the mold will also depend on whether you cast under pressure, or not.

Typically, if I cast using the WM ice cube molds, I just use PR without pressure and have no problems. A week or so ago, I was casting materials in the resin, so I tossed my mold in the pressure pot. Big mistake.

I now have six blanks that I can't even pound out of the mold. I'm probably going to try to drill out the resin.

Oh well...

lesnpam

thanks to everyone for the info will be giving it a try within the next couple of weeks will be using water clear polyester resin think i will try with plastc tube

Top Bottom