Reaming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Hi guys
Id like to make some blanks which are reamed so the components can be press fitted into them without the need of the brass tube.

I've not done any reaming before so any pointers would be good? :)
The blanks will be for a jr gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I use parallel-sided adjustable reamers for various jobs. Here's a link to two tool stores I buy them from (online):

KBC Tools & Machinery

Buy Adjustable Blade Reamer Set Of 7pcs at Busy Bee Tools

For quality, I go with the first.

These reamers are a bit of a pain to use and I would not rely on them for accuracy better than +/- 0.004" unless you take special measures to adjust and check their size and parallelism.

A much more expensive alternative is chucking reamers which are of fixed size. You can look them up on kbctools.com

Of course, you would have preferred suppliers in the UK.

builtbybill

Will the blanks be able to withstand the amount of pressure that will be required to hold the components in place? Isn't that why tubes are used in the first place, to keep the blanks from splitting?

BradG

The blanks will be aluminium, and certainly thick enough :wink:

Ken, on the lathe.

Mal, thanks for the links. I like the sound of chucking one up so il do a search for those ones once I figure out the internal tube diameter of a Jr. The guide link seems to be broken in the library which contains all the tube sizes.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Why the need for a reamer? Your press fit parts only need about 10mm depth. I would be shocked to find that your new fancy lathe using a short boring bar ( either tailstock or toolpost mounted) didn't have the accuracy to do that...:confused:

BradG

Skip, the boring bars I have are too big for a pen blank. I generally have to drill out 17mm just fit my boring bar in lol. I thought reamers would be the best approach, but if you're suggesting sourcing some smaller boring tools il look at that too

plantman

Brad; I use my tapered reamers most on the time when I need to make any adjustments on my blanks or tubes. Also they will round out a misshapened hole or tube. Sort of a one size fits all tool. Adjustable reamers also work fine, but can get expensive if more than a couple are needed. Jim S

keithbyrd

I bought the two drill sizes mentioned above and simply drilled and pressed the components into an aluminum blank. No special tools required and worked great!

PenPal

Brad I use surplus end mills for that final accurate cut set them in the tool post with a slight kick in depending on the mill there are more than one beaut cutting edge I was going frantic trying to get accurate drills so when I buy I mike and buy under and under ones the dealers are amused but I have learned oils aint oils long ago.

Peter.

Top Bottom