A Rat's Tale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

Admit it Steven, You took your lathe and some blanks down to the crossroads at midnight and turned a pen, trading your soul for unearthly powers of pen-turning. (Hoping a cross-cultural reference will work here)

That one just knocks my socks off, nothing else to say.

Steve W.

masl

Do you ever make a boring pen ??
You should really start to sleep at night like the rest of us !!!

Last edited:

oldsmokey

Steven, your artistry and creativity humble us all.
I am going to take my original skiprat pen off of the wall and put it in a safe. It is a very valuable collectors piece.
For all of you that don't know Steven very well, he is one of the nicest and generous members on this site.

timberbits

Steven, your artistry and creativity humble us all.
I am going to take my original skiprat pen off of the wall and put it in a safe. It is a very valuable collectors piece.
For all of you that don't know Steven very well, he is one of the nicest and generous members on this site.

I think I would have to agree with oldsmonkey, I too am taking both my original skiprat pen off my wall and am going to put it into the bank vault.

The wife then raised the issue about how would I be able to worship it everyday if it wasn't on the wall.

Timberbits.

Texatdurango

Ehhh....it's okay.:wink:
You know, that's exactly what I thought too.... Everyone is making a big deal over nothing, ANYONE could make one of those pens if they had one of those English metal files and a hefty vice! They're hard to find over here though or I'd make a pen like that too! :biggrin:

Tn-Steve

You know, that's exactly what I thought too.... Everyone is making a big deal over nothing, ANYONE could make one of those pens if they had one of those English metal files and a hefty vice! They're hard to find over here though or I'd make a pen like that too! :biggrin:
Yea, that's it.... It those darn English Files. I understand that they cut on the left side of the metal. And you can only purchase them with a "Cheque".

(Boy are we grasping at straws now)

Steve

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Yea, that's it.... It those darn English Files. I understand that they cut on the left side of the metal. And you can only purchase them with a "Cheque".

(Boy are we grasping at straws now)

Steve

The problem is that he'll do a bang-up job .. and I'd do a ...
.. a bang up job.

Tn-Steve

While I was having dinner this evening it suddently sunk in. Skiprat doesn't have a CNC lathe, a computer equipped milling machine, a 3d scanner / digitizer unit. I suggest we all chip in and buy him these, maybe he will get so lost in the directions he will stop doing miracles in the tradition of the great English Gunsmiths, nothing more than wood, metal, files, patience and skill.

Of course, since the Welch developed the long-bow, that proved so instrumental in English history, there's no tellling what he'd do with all those toys.

Steve

ngeb528

Well .. we could tie one of his hands behind his back till the rest of us catch up...

By the time we catch up, he'll be around 100 more corners and we'll still be in the same position.

At least we have each other - who does he have, way up there on that pedestal we've put him on?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You guys are nuttier than me!!!!!:tongue::eek:

You realise that this thread won't dissapear till you stop replying to it, don't you?:wink: So if you're fed up seeing it, then stop replying:rolleyes::biggrin:

..........but thanks:wink:

And why should we stop Praising you up?? When I think I panic at just the thought of putting a new kit together you have designed one for the elite of penturners. Give yourself a pat on the shoulder and while your doing that I will put the pen up on MY WALL to adore you.MASTER MASTER PLEASE MAY I ADORE YOU?? You have brought out members I have never even heard of before!

dntrost

Many thanks for all the compliments:biggrin:

If anyone tries something like this then although the pics are pretty self explainitory, there is one process that really helps. The pic below shows the PR clamped to the metal. At this stage the resin was cut and sanded to a reasonably close fit, but while it's clamped it gets heated with a heat gun on low and the clamps gradually tightened a fraction at a time. Then left to cool completly. This ensures a nice clean joint:wink:

Thanks again:biggrin:

Yeah right I am in my shop right now following the pictures and I was right at the point where the clamps were and was stuck :confused: now it is all clear and I should be done with an exact replica by 2050!!!!!! :eek::mad:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Thats one beautiful piece of art no one will EVER be able to duplicate!

What an outstanding craftsman you are Skip . . . you Rat.

Jim Smith

You are amazing!!! You work is not only extremely well executed, but they are works of art. You should consider selling them at Harrods in London. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a couple thousand pounds for that pen as a one of a kind. Beautiful work!

Jim Smith

Cwalker935

I am not worthy enough to even comment. Are you simply a visitor from a distant galaxy sent here to keep us earthlings humble?

stonepecker

THIS picture and pen have been here since 2009 and this is the first time I see it.

I am struck dumb as to say any kind of compilment to this work. Skip, You AMAZE me with your skill and designs. Even with the pictures, I can not begin to understand how you made this pen. Steve, if you can put into words how you made this and all, I would be in your debt just trying to start understanding what you did.

Just one question for the membership........WHY is the pen NOT in the IAP Collection for everyone to see in person?

jttheclockman

THIS picture and pen have been here since 2009 and this is the first time I see it.

I am struck dumb as to say any kind of compilment to this work. Skip, You AMAZE me with your skill and designs. Even with the pictures, I can not begin to understand how you made this pen. Steve, if you can put into words how you made this and all, I would be in your debt just trying to start understanding what you did.

Just one question for the membership........WHY is the pen NOT in the IAP Collection for everyone to see in person?

Well I will again bring this up and it basically for the so called Newbies.

I encourage you to look around the forum and check out the photo sections and you will see many many great looking pens. I occassionally bring to life some pens that have not been seen for awhile here. I have tried on a couple occassions of getting a HALL OF FAME forum set up here but have met with great opposition which to this very day I do not see why. But that again is for someone else to promote. I am done with that.

I have included Skips web site in another thread but it gets overlooked I see so I will be happy to post it again.

Skiprat Pens - Home Page

Steven is one of the premier pen makers on this site and probably is the last one. His work stands alone. So if you like this pen check out some others he has made in the past.

Tom T

Yes sir, all has been said. I agree with every one. Amazing, unbelievable, incredible,
Great creation. I am glad this post was brought up so we could see it. Me for the first time. Rock star status you are.

SteveG

British Dictionary definitions for chuffed Expand
chuffed
/tʃʌft/
adjective
(Brit, slang) pleased or delighted: none too chuffed

(Had to look that up prior to proceeding...)

Holy CHUFFED Cow, Mr. Skippy

A Rat's tail (and tale) indeed!!

At some point, you might just jump the shark. This is not it, but you could be gettin' close. I sure hope your brain does not explode with those ideas that percolate up out of that gray matter. The cool thing is that you seem to have the ability to execute on any creative leading that flows forth. Not only nice, but extraordinary.

Don't ever quit. Aloha!

Edit in: I decided to respond as I did, as this my first viewing of the masterpiece. New or old, it is "da bes", kinda talkin' Hawaiian slang.

Last edited:
Top Bottom