A Rat's Tale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

I concur..it is outstanding & I'm retiring after seeing this..there is no reason to go on

RichB

You have a talent I don't seem to have. That is one great and beautiful pen. I think I went through your pictures faster than it took you to make. Just a guess!! Thanks for the look

cowjelly

That's the nicest pen I have seen! I have been burnt out for the past 3 or 4 months and looking for inspiration to get going again. Well I think I've found it. Thank you for posting it! In your debt, sorry, I have no money!

davinci27

Great Job on and Amazing Pen!! Thanks for that last photo. I've been looking at the pen and the photos trying to figure out how you got the joints so tight without actually casting the metal. I've got to get a good set of files and try some of the metal stuff.

I've been suffering pen block the last couple of times I got in the shop, but you've given me some new ideas to play with.

Ben

Ligget

Excellent pen Steve, the little tutorial is excellent and pics are clear, I am sure there will be one or two trying to do this pen style soon!

Russianwolf

all I can say is
3.gif

punkinn

Man, that pen is DA BOMB! (purloined from Randy Jackson - thanks Randy) :bulgy-eyes: (where's the DROOLING smiley - why don't we have a DROOLING smiley???) :tongue:

Seriously though - looking through your photos makes me want to give our lathe to Goodwill. :hypnotized:

Fabulous work. A real artist!

Texatdurango

Today we can buy an Alan Lacer skew or a set of Raffin gouges when we want to treat ourselves and splurge a little.

I can see it three years from now..... "No honey, I'd rather not have that Ellsworth signature bowl gouge or that new Alan Lacer skew, instead I wish Santa would bring me that set of "Skippy Files"! :biggrin:

Very creative pen

ngeb528

I think we should just give you any and all prizes in next years Birthday Bash (except for the ugliest pen prize, I don't think you can make an ugly pen).

Darley

Skip, every one did say the words, your skill will still amaze all members here and visitors, I though you did your own casting at first but was wrong when looking at the picture.

Any way just to say " BRAVO "

bracky1

"This is my latest concoction and I personally think it is the best pen I've ever made and I'm pretty chuffed with it.:redface::biggrin:"

You're chuffed!!
Well I'm bloody well not!!

I've just lashed out about £500 on a lathe, tools, chuck etc. I've turned my first couple of slimlines and thought I made a decent job
I found this site and thought good, some advice and inspiration.
I found your "copper teaser" and thought sh#t, I'll never match that.
AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!! :mad:
:wink::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
"This is my latest concoction and I personally think it is the best pen I've ever made and I'm pretty chuffed with it.:redface::biggrin:"

You're chuffed!!
Well I'm bloody well not!!

I've just lashed out about £500 on a lathe, tools, chuck etc. I've turned my first couple of slimlines and thought I made a decent job
I found this site and thought good, some advice and inspiration.
I found your "copper teaser" and thought sh#t, I'll never match that.
AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!! :mad:
:wink::biggrin:

LOL Bracky first welcome to IAP. Not to worry, you Scotsmen are the most inventive nation on earth, and you'll soon be making Mont Blancs as 'practice runs':biggrin: Hell, you guys invented TV, tarred roads, catseyes to mention a few. Hell, it was even a Scot that invented the toilet seat, although it was an Englishman that modified it and stuck a hole in the middle.:biggrin::tongue:

Thanks again for all the comments guys:wink:

jhs494

Outstanding design Steven! The pen is spectacular and not only did you show us the finished design you took the time to take pictures and share the process with us.
This shows why you truly one of the Masters in the Art of pen making.
Thanks for sharing all this with us!

airrat

Skip beautiful pen. You keep inventing a new envelope to push with your designs.

What is that tool with the red handle clamped in the vise used for?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Skip beautiful pen. You keep inventing a new envelope to push with your designs.

What is that tool with the red handle clamped in the vise used for?

This one?:biggrin:

LOL, it's the cap. :wink:The clip is about to be bent around the smaller of the two drill bits. The red tape is just an attempt to make sure all the bending only happened in the clip. The pressure from the vice is only on the drill bits.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 188

bitshird

Mr. Rat That is some of the most unique work I have had the pleasure of seeing, I am absolutely amazed at you incredible ideas and methods of pen construction, that's one damn cool pen. Excellent work Steven,!!!!!!

LEAP

Well I'd tell you how awesome and incredible and impressive your latest creation is but any more adoration and you won't be able to fit your head in the skip to find more materials!! The question is how are you going to top this one? Now you've got your work cut out for you! Oh and by the way Nice Pen Good Job.

SuperDave

Skippy get an Award from the Prince of Wales

I just got off the phone with Prince Charles. After looking at your creation he said "What Mr. Skiprat has achieved is rally immense. It hits you like bleach."

Ooookaaaay... whatever. Too many trips to the "middle room" I say. Anyway, I was asked to bestow upon you, some award or such. So here's to Skiprat:

We, the unworthy members of IAP, bestow upon thee, the award of Royal Scribe.:worship::worship::worship:

Attachments

• Royal Badge of Wales.jpg
    Royal Badge of Wales.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 119
Top Bottom