Question for those who cast watch parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Okay, so I'm getting ready to cast my first watch part pen after having collected enough part and I'm left wondering..."How in the heck do people get these parts to bend to the correct curve"? I have a couple wooden rods the size of my tubes, but these parts are extremely difficult to wrap around...even the larger faces. Please let me in on the secret.

Not looking to make these to sell so trade secrets will be safe:biggrin:

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would use a slightly smaller diameter rod to bend the parts to conform to the shape of the tube. You might have to play with that size until you get it right.
Harder metals and alloys tend to have memory and want to go back to flat.

hewunch

I have never done this, so take that into account. But I have mulled it over in my mind. Drill a hole in some hard scrap (think IPE) Slice the scrap down the middle so you are left with a semi-circle of a hole. Take the corresponding transfer punch and use it to lightly tap the parts until they are concave.

Not sure if that makes sense. And because I have never actually done this, might not work.

OKLAHOMAN

Take a piece of hardwood, drill it the size of the tube then slice it in half lengthwise. This gives you two molds. Lay the gear, in the mold and then a transfer punch as close to the size of the tube place the second mold over the punch and place this in a vise, leave for a few minutes. This will curve most of the watch parts.

OKLAHOMAN

Hans great minds think alike:biggrin: I have done it and it works.
I have never done this, so take that into account. But I have mulled it over in my mind. Drill a hole in some hard scrap (think IPE) Slice the scrap down the middle so you are left with a semi-circle of a hole. Take the corresponding transfer punch and use it to lightly tap the parts until they are concave.

Not sure if that makes sense. And because I have never actually done this, might not work.

GoodTurns

Take a piece of hardwood, drill it the size of the tube then slice it in half lengthwise. This gives you two molds. Lay the gear, in the mold and then a transfer punch as close to the size of the tube place the second mold over the punch and place this in a vise, leave for a few minutes. This will curve most of the watch parts.

i do this but use a piece of corian for the "mold"

hewunch

Yeah, I would think corian, UHMW, Aluminum all would work well. Good to know my thought would work. Now, if I can just find the time to do it.

Justturnin

Great thread. I have an old Keneth Cole watch I have been trying to take a apart t do this.......How did you get the watch apart? I am close to getting a hammer.

theidlemind

Great thread. I have an old Keneth Cole watch I have been trying to take a apart t do this.......How did you get the watch apart? I am close to getting a hammer.

patience and tiny screwdrivers and pliers....

And some of the backs unscrew instead of prying off.
And even battery powered watches will have gears inside.
Typically a lot smaller gears too. Less quantity of course.

sbell111

That's the way I do many of teh parts. Some of the gears, however, are easily bent with just a couple of needle nose pliers.

great minds

Hans great minds think alike:biggrin: I have done it and it works.

My Mother Told me that quote and gave me the whole thing" Great minds often run together, But more often two fools thing alike

wiset1

I just want to thank everyone for the feedback, I'll see what I can do this weekend to make the pc I need to bend the parts. I only plan on making one or two of these to say that I tried it so lets see what comes of it.

Again, thank you

tim self

OK, an even more basic question. PAINT!! With CA reaction to normal epoxy even after baking, my CA wrinkles. What are ya'll using? Suggestions or recomendations please.

GoodTurns

OK, an even more basic question. PAINT!! With CA reaction to normal epoxy even after baking, my CA wrinkles. What are ya'll using? Suggestions or recomendations please.

I have been using rustoleum Oil Rubber Bronze spray paint. Cast in PR it does wrinkle, but mine look like crushed velvet under the parts.... would take a pic, but can't get it to show up clearly!

Top Bottom