Penmakers Challenge stage 3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

I'm all for continuing although for the most part I prefer the slimline because being retired money is tight and these pens will be sent to our military guys in the middle east. My wife's nephew is over there right now so the first 3 along with a couple others with letters of support will be on the way next week.

handplane

I hope the challenges continue. I am almost finished with the #2pens and will post them when I'm done. I don't have any cigar kits but I'm going to do this challenge with a slimline for now. The farther I get away from kits the better. As soon as I get a collet chuck I already have my first full kitless pen figured out. I do not trust my scroll chuck enough to try what I want to do yet. I'm having trouble with it staying tight. It has thrown a couple of blank at me already and I don't want the next one to be something that I've spent a lot of time on only to have it ruined by a tool I can't control.

Stevej72

Butch, I would love to do another challenge. I've been turning pens for 5 years and what I learned so far in the challenges has really improved my skill a lot. I have some Cumberland Ebonite that I want to make into a kitless FP. Whatever you decide is fine, and I appreciate all you've done so far.

ldb2000

Ok , there seem to be a few who want to go on so now for the next question . What kind of kit to continue with , As modifiable as slimline kits are they are also kind of limiting in some ways . The 7mm tube size is a bit small for doing any major modifications and the cross refills must be changed from the top , so some of the more advanced modifications are out for slimlines .
Cigar kits are just as modifiable as slimlines and anything you can do with a slimline you can do with a cigar , in fact due to their larger tube sizes and Parker style refills are a better choice to do more extreme modifications , which is why I usually choose to use them over the slimlines . Cigar kits are a little higher priced then slimlines but it's only little bit higher so price really isn't a factor .
Some of the things that make cigar kits more daunting to newer penturners are the very things that make them better for modifications . The coupler/transmission and activator tube tend to be the hardest parts to understand but they really aren't that difficult to work with and can add a totally new level modifications .
So with that said , which kit do we want to use ? I'll leave this question open for a few days for everyone who wants to go on to decide if we are just going to add a few more mods or step it up to another level .

soligen

I'm good with using cigar kits. I'm not a real fan of the nibs, but I would rather use the higher quality kit to complement my hard work, and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who like the nib.

RAdams

Banned
i am still working on stage 3, but dont know if i will ever get it done or not. i got sidetracked with Florida, and now i am pretty busy trying to hustle up work. We will see if i can get it finished any time soon.

DurocShark

Yeah, i haven't been able to get back to my #3 either. I changed lathes, got a new saw, had a life, etc. Still haven't gotten used to the new lathe either. It's enough different from my old TCPro that I can't seem to make @#%^. :(

ldb2000

Doc , that's what these challenges are all about , helping folks get up that learning curve . You should check out stages 1 and 2 . We started off simple and have built on the techniques learned . The first stage is actually geared towards the newest members and is easily done by anyone who has done a few slimlines then stage two built on those techniques by adding tenons to the mix .

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'll attempt to catch whatever you throw!!:biggrin: The challenges are very worthwhile. Thanks for your contributions to the advancement of our pen making skills.

ldb2000

I'll attempt to catch whatever you throw!!:biggrin: The challenges are very worthwhile. Thanks for your contributions to the advancement of our pen making skills.

Aw shut up and get the darn PITH started already !!! :mad::eek::tongue::biggrin:

Just kidding Mike . I'm leaning towards the cigar and have a great pen design in mind , kinda hard but doable if you have been able to do the first three challenges . It's one of my favorite modifications .

Rick_G

I'll try anything you throw at us. The pens from the first 3 challenges were shipped to some of our Canadian soldiers in the middle east today. Looking forward to the next one.

Top Bottom