A Penmakers Challenge Stage 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Ack! Ignore my rantings and take care of yourself!

And that's proof that yard work is bad for you and you shouldn't do it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

Hey Butch, sorry to hear about your back going out again. I know that can be very painful, my wife working in a nursing home for many years and now her back goes out very easily. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Rick_G

I just get back from a weekend at my son's and read this. Now I have to go out and plant grass where the new weeping bed was put in. Take care of your back, I know what that's like and will likely know again tomorrow.

ldb2000

I hate just laying here when there are things to be done . I wasn't even doing any thing strenuous , just bending over to pick up some small branches , nothing heavy , and when I straightened up I felt it go . I'm just thankful that I fixed this laptop a couple of months ago , I would be going insane by now without it .
I managed to get some blanks cast last night , I had run out of black blanks . I'm hoping to get into the shop for a half hour or so tonight so I can get the glue up done and work on the finial for a bit .

Stevej72

Butch, I don't think you're supposed to bend over and pick things up. I think you're supposed to squat down so your legs do the work.

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
Butch, I don't think you're supposed to bend over and pick things up. I think you're supposed to squat down so your legs do the work.

Forget that... It is much funner to give some random neighborhood knucklehead..... i mean kid $5 to pick up all the sticks! Or even better... get a nephew or something to do it for free!:biggrin:

ldb2000

The sad thing is I have 2 able bodied teenage sons that should be doing it but just try to get them to do anything around here , even under threat of death or worse ... loss of their computers . The really sad thing is when their friends parents ask for some help with something they jump at the chance to help . I had been asking them for over a week to clean up the yard and just got tired of the excuses so I went out and did it myself . For the first couple of days after my back went out they had a terrible case of the guilts and were tripping over each other to help me but that has gone and they are back to normal . I would put them up on ebay but I couldn't afford to pay the price it would cost for someone to take them :eek::rolleyes::biggrin: Lazy teenagers just ain't worth what they used to be when I was a kid ....:wink::biggrin:

Oh , and to make things worse now the LOML is in the hospital with a respiratory infection . She has COPD and a cold the the kids (who else) brought home and we got over with no ill effect has laid her up for a couple of days . She's ok but they are keeping her for a few days . When it rains ....

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Man-Oh-Man :eek::eek:. Don'T walk.....errrr, limp......hobble under any ladders. I hope the rain stops soon! Maybe you can ask some of their friends to help you:rolleyes:.

ldb2000

Ok , I got a little time in the shop today and the stage 3 pen is complete . I just have to take some photos and I will get it posted tonight . Good luck everyone .

phillywood

That looks great to me . Nice blank and you did a good job with it .
Welcome to the group Chuck , glad you came out of the shadows and posted your pen . Don't be a stranger now , come join in the fun , we don't bite ....... well Cav does sometimes but we keep him locked up and well fed :devil::biggrin:

Sheese , I just noticed your from Texas , do all Texans make pens ??? :biggrin::biggrin:

Butch Texans are good at laying around and eating BBQ aand chasing....... Mosquitos we got plaenty of themdown here.

phillywood

I'm working on it . I was doing some yard work the other day and my back went out again so I've been laid up for the last few days . I felt a little better this afternoon and got a little time in the shop . I managed to get the blank turned round and drilled and I even got the CB done . I'll get back to it as soon as I can . It should be up in a day or two .

well, butch, as a therapist and one with the back problem and wating microsurgery to correct, I am warnning you to learn proper body mechanics. Mine finally caught up with me and they will have to do some physical therapy after the surgery and probably some strict teaching of buddy mechanics. remeber you have teenagers now. you can't be chasing them around the yard and also have to ask the better half to hwlp when you can. we used to be limber.
BTW, go to Walgreens and ask them for Japaneese made pain patch called salompas the package is green and they work very good on back apin. then when you get the apin try not to drink caffein or any stimulant, because it slows down your body's natural way of fighting the pain.
Your consultation Bill is on it's way later.
I am glad yo uare doing well, because you are great experioenced buddy we have here on line.

Papa Bear

Pen makers challenge 2

Ok,I finally put everybody else off so I could make this before it was too late!It's a home brew orange pr with alt ivory accents(a freebie from exotics).No saws were used.The finial is a snug fit but could have been a little tighter,I may put a drop of ca just to be safe!Thanks again Butch!
Gary

Papa Bear

Thanks Mike,I made a thinner orange band but it didn't look as good to me so I made it thicker.I remember reading something about ca and platings,Thanks for reminding me!

ldb2000

Great job Gary . I really like the look of your CB , very well balanced and clean looking . Dennis is right about the CA , bad idea to use it around plated parts . The out-gassing will stain or discolor a plated component . Use epoxy or if it's metal to metal Red loctite to glue your parts together .

Top Bottom