A Penmakers Challenge Stage 1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
You got two pages of jokes because nobody had a pen to post yet. I dont want to get into a debate about casual posts in the advanced forum. I just dont want to get reprimanded for trying to be funny or silly or whatever.

My glue up is drying, and i might go ahead and post it. I will definately refrain from the joking around... at least in these threads.

ps. Thanks for making a pen with a sore back.

ldb2000

Rob , that is perfect . It seems like you used a similar technique to mine . I did mine on a mandrel but it can be done several different ways . I'm trying to do these challenges with the tools that are available to all of us . Great looking pen by the way .

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
ps. Thanks for making a pen with a sore back.

It does look a bit sore and bent, doesn't it????:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::tongue:

How's the back healing Butch??

Why does our bodies come with most things in two's, but the serious bits are only ones???? :confused:

rsmith

I did mine on a mandrel but it can be done several different ways . I'm trying to do these challenges with the tools that are available to all of us .

Thanks, this was done on a mandrel as well, with a little help from some delrin for the CA

ldb2000

Thanks Steven . I'm feeling a little better , not as much pain and the meds are helping . I'm able to stand for a while but still spend more time sitting then turning .
I do have to get better soon , I need to make some pens for stock but I'm not gonna rush it .

Sylvanite

Ok, here's mine. I had a little free time this afternoon and this is what I whipped up. Curly maple and african blackwood. Except for the (already cut) blanks, no saws were used.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• Challenge1.jpg
    Challenge1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 299

ldb2000

Great looking pen Eric . Nice color combo . I used the Paduk because it was what I had on hand but the contrast is better with either Blackwood or Ebony .

ldb2000

For those that are trying this here's a hint . CA will harden the wood and make it easier to part off the small slices for the segments and will seal the grain so that a contrasting wood won't stain the lighter colored woods . When your blank is turned and ready to be parted give it a good soaking with thin CA . I actually partially finished my pen to seal the grain , then finished it after it was glued up .
Also by turning the blank and the wood for the centerband to size there will be much less sanding to be done .

bgibb42

After seeing all of the FANTASTIC pens posted so far, I'm a little reluctant to post mine as well, but here it is anyway. I'm mostly pleased with it, I'll probably take it back out to the shop this weekend and fine-tune it a bit.

Box elder with a pink ivory centerband. Like some others, in the spirit of the challenge, I made this entirely on the lathe. It does have a CA finish, though it didn't show up in the photos. I was hoping for more streaking in the box elder, but such is life.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCF4714.JPG
    DSCF4714.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF4715.JPG
    DSCF4715.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 206

ldb2000

Butch, understand we have 2 weeks to complete our pen?

Yes . I realize that many of us have other things to take up our time and since this is a learning experience not a contest I think we will need to do this in our leisure time . So not to rush anyone and give as many people a chance to join in as possible , 2 weeks should be enough time to complete some of the easier builds . The harder builds might be a little longer . The final build will be a nightmare and will definatly need more time .

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Here's mine. It's Oregon Myrtle and Bolivian Rosewood. I made it from some cutoffs I had and the lower barrel is cut on a diagonal, which is why it is darker:frown:. I parted off the Bol. Rosewood at 4mm. The Oregon Myrtle in the centerband is 2mm.

Attachments

• Challange 1.JPG
    Challange 1.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 286

maxman400

OK Butch, I got your PM this morning at 2 am So here is my attempt, all done on the lathe. Pistachio with burnt copper PR for the bands with a copper slim line kit.
One question though:: did any one else besides me use a longer tube on the top to compensate for the kits center band not being there, or do you think it even matters???

Attachments

• Pistachio 033_edited-1.jpg
    Pistachio 033_edited-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Pistachio 036_edited-1.jpg
    Pistachio 036_edited-1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 188

ldb2000

Great job Max . I really like that wood , I don't think I've ever seen Pistachio wood . The extra length don't really matter . I think some have , I didn't . I used a regular length tube , there is enough room left for the tranny to go all the way in without the kit CB .

Craftdiggity

Here's My Effort

This is the first time I've modified a kit design, so be gentle. I had no maple, so I went with Wenge and Paduak. I also decided to add some more curve to mine, especially on the bottom. The CB overlaps about midway through the center ring. You can not tell it from the photo, (because all of my photos suck), but I also kicked the design up 1/10 of a notch by beading the rings. They flattened out a bit on top as I was sanding and I didn't catch it until just now, but dems da breaks. This is also the best CA finish I've ever applied. I finally got a really high gloss, so I am happy on many levels.

Wnege-Paduak.jpg

Chris

ldb2000

It looks great Chris . Nice color combo between the body , CB and furniture . The shape is good , it adds interest without becoming a bulge or worse , pregnant . The overhang at the CB sounds a little too much , to keep strength at the segments you should always have the tube supporting them . Just a slight recess is enough to cover the gap between the barrels . That is in no way intended as a criticism of the pen , just a suggestion for a strong joint .
Fantastic first modification .

David Keller

Here is the first pen I've ever done that wasn't "by the book."

Satinwood with katalox... All done on the lathe except the initial drilling(lazy) and cutting the initial blank in two for tubes(also lazy).

What do you think?

challenge pen #1 satinwood and katalox.jpg

ldb2000

I think it's great . Your fit and finish look great , your photo skills need some help though :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: . Actually the photo's not bad just your cropping .

Papa Bear

Here's what I came up with,it's made from bocote and cypress.This wasn't the most challenging pen for me but I did do things different,it was all done on the lathe with no saws or bushings.Thanks Bruce for doing this and making people think about how and what they are doing.

ldb2000

That looks fantastic . I like the segments , nice and thin . Nice color contrast on the woods and a good fit and finish .
I'm glad you enjoyed doing it . I'm quite sure that by the end everyone will want to lynch me cause they are going to get harder with each challenge and the last will be a nightmare .

turbowagon

Here's my submission. Huon pine burl with African blackwood accents.

huon_pine_blackwood_euro.JPG

I cut the segments on the table saw and preglued them. When drilling the upper barrel, I widened the hole a bit so that there is a little overlap between the barrels.

- Joe

Last edited:

ldb2000

That is an awesome looking pen Joe . I love the Huon Pine and the blackwood gives a great contrast . The furniture matches the blanks perfectly . Great job .

RAdams

Banned
Fresh off the lave!

Homebrew Pr with Exoticblanks Alt. Ivory center band on go/ti slim.As with most, i did the whole thing on the lathe. I really can claim NO SAWS!

Thanks for doing this Butch! This first round was alot of fun! Perfect warm up pen!!

Attachments

• challenge pen 1.jpg
    challenge pen 1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 259

ldb2000

Ron !!! Glad to see you joined us ! Great job on your entry . Fantastic combo of Acrylic and alt ivory . Good to see you did it on the lathe , it adds an extra level of craftsmanship . While the average person couldn't tell the difference in how it is done .... we know and can appreciate the difference .

PenMan1

Here is my challenge pen- Mont Verdi

It is homebrew "precious resin" PR, with Exotic Faux Tortise, segmented with brass. I shortened the top of the pen and lengthed the bottom barrel to give it a better balance. The bottom barrel is beveled where it meets the center band to give it a little "shape" I may change this. The top barrel is beveled at the clip ring to accent the ring and a tortise top "dodad" was added as a "why not"

No saws (unless Ed cut the Tortise rod with one), drill presses, pen mills, squares, hammers or REAL turtles were used to produce this pen.

Hey Ed.... A PR pen AND a free "plug" for the business:)

Sorry about the poor photo quality. We are currently working on the lighting setup.

Attachments

• Challenge_1.jpg
    Challenge_1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 248

Mr Vic

My Version Of Challenge#1

Started of my day with the intent of making an Imperial Tiger. After making inserts for my barrel trimmer I proceeded to drill the blanks and Ka Blewie - pieces all over the place. So I gathered up the usable pieces, rounded what I believe is a piece of Zebra wood and completed a pen for the challenge. I didn't use a saw but did use a repurposed saw blade. Its my thin mini parting tool. 5 minutes to make and works like a charm. Made a double ring centerband and added a ring to the nib end (on purpose, not a fixer ring). All trimming, drilling and even glue up was completed on the lathe.

Left out pics of process to leave it up to your imagination...

Attachments

• Challenge1-A.jpg
    Challenge1-A.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Challenge1-B.jpg
    Challenge1-B.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Challenge1-C.jpg
    Challenge1-C.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Challenge1-E.jpg
    Challenge1-E.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 208

ldb2000

Great job Andy . I was wondering if someone was going to add the brass or aluminum segments to the mix . I almost did but held back because I didn't want anyone thinking it was a requirement .

ldb2000

Very nice pen Vic . I'm sorry that you blew up the tiger but at least you put some of the pieces to good use . I used the same type of parting tool you do except I turned a handle out of a beechwood pen blank and I used a hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off . I like it because it has such a thin kerf , I'm able to keep the grain match on even the wildest woods and acrylics .

RAdams

Banned
I use an old butter knife ground into a stubby parting tool. It had a handle already and was free! I had no spare saw blades laying around at the time so...

Mr Vic

Ron, Or was that the butcher knife you picked up at the Bates Motel garage sale?

Butch, I originally made it for turning the center band and finial for Barons. Even the parting tool from my miniture turning set ate up too much material. One day I'll het aroung to making a nice handle. But for now it ain't broke so why fix it...

Top Bottom