A Penmakers Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Are you ready to take your pen making to the next level . If you are then it seems that I have some extra time on my hands for a while , so it's time to play !!!
This is not a contest , there will be no prizes other then the knowledge gained from the experience and the bragging rights that you did it . This one is just for the fun of it .
The way it is going to work is , I will build a pen and post it and you folks will have 2 weeks to figure out how I did it and make one for yourself (not sure about the time frame but 2 weeks should be enough time for the first few builds) at the end of the 2 weeks I will post how I made the challenge pen .
I will start with just a simple modification to a basic pen (slimline or cigar will work and won't cost allot) then each successive pen will get more complex until the final pen which will be a Kitless design based on a slimline or cigar transmission (whichever you have an extra of) .
All of the pens and parts will be buildable using standard turning tools and a adjustable mandrel (a nonadjustable mandrel is NOT recommended for safety reasons) , a collet or 4 jaw chuck is recommended and is something that anyone who plans on ever going beyond being a kit penturner should have .

Safety will be the main requirement during this challenge . If you don't think you can safely complete a pen , then DON'T try . If something feels wrong to you then it is best that you either find a safer way or don't try it in the first place . NO injuries will be allowed during this challenge and if you somehow manage to hurt yourself you will not be allowed to continue the challenge . NO EXCEPTIONS !!!

This is open to everyone regardless of your experience . The idea is to advance your skills as a penmaker .

If your interested in joining in the fun then post your name here in this thread .

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Time is always my enemy (2 years to retirement:biggrin:) But I'll give it a go. sounds fun!

ldb2000

The first few challenges will be just simple basic modifications to bring everyone up to speed before we try anything too complex . I will be explaining my techniques at the end of each stage of the challenge but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask . It would be very helpful if everyone involved (including the more advanced people) complete each stage and posts a pen so that the others will have more ideas to work with .
Again , SAFETY is job one here . No one should attempt a technique that seems unsafe to them . If you are not sure if something can be done safely DON'T do it until you have asked questions and ensured that you can do it safely .

rsmith

Fantastic idea Butch, thanks:good:I'm in. Always ready to try to figure something out, thats the best way to learn:wink: Are you going to start a new thread for your first post, or should we keep our eyes on this one?

ldb2000

I agree about figuring it out . Tutorials really hurt learning not help it , figuring it out forces you to think about how something is done not just mimic what someone else has done .
Keep an eye on this thread . When there is enough interest I will post the first pen .

jbostian

I am interested. I just started a new job today, so I am not sure if I will have the time but I will give it a try.

Jamie

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well Butch, I got tons of time. Don't know how far i'll get but i'll give it a try.

ldb2000

Just a reminder for the more advanced members . The first couple of builds are going to be just very basic modifications to a basic kit . There are a number of new turners that have never done anything but B2B slimlines and these people are going to need to get their feet wet before we can really get underway . Lets not have any complaints that this stuff is too easy , remember we all had to crawl before we could run .
To the new people to this stuff , if you have any questions about how to do something , please post your questions here and either I or someone here will be happy to answer them .
To those people who follow my techniques you will find I rely heavily on jam chucks to do allot of tasks from centerbands to closed end pens . The jam chucks will require the use of the tailstock to hold everything together tightly for major roughing cuts . Most of these techniques can be accomplished with a collet or scroll chuck far more easily so if you have one please feel free to use it but don't chastise anyone for not having one . Many of these things can be done a number of different ways .

There are also some must have tools like an adjustable mandrel and a good caliper or micrometer and a 60 degree live center . A dead center is not required but will make life easier and so will a collet or scroll chuck so if you can get those , do it , you won't be sorry you spent the money . You will also need a good parting tool for parting off pieces and forming tenons and cleaning up undercuts .

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
This is too easy.:biggrin: Can we get to the challenging stuff yet?:biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry... Couldn't resist!:biggrin:

Sounds crazy fun to me!! With two weeks for each build, If you have time, and are one of the upper level peeps, then challenge yourself! For each round, do the same exact mod on two different pens, using two different techniques! Then when the rounds get into the more difficult stuff, go to just one per round.

Or do the mandatory mod, and add something unexpected!! Push your own capabilities! I plan to attempt to suprise a few people during this little challenge!

oops99

I'm in,

And I think this is a great idea. Not only for begginers, but for everyone.

Tom/oops99

jttheclockman

I agree about figuring it out . Tutorials really hurt learning not help it , figuring it out forces you to think about how something is done not just mimic what someone else has done .
Keep an eye on this thread . When there is enough interest I will post the first pen .

I do not agree with that statement at all but just an opinion.

ldb2000

Ron , don't get your dreds in a knot , we WILL get there , and yes by all means if you have an idea please feel free to add to the basic challenge . This is not a formal contest and all ideas will add to the knowledge base .
To everyone who's says "I'll try" as I tell my kids "Don't try ...Do" . Never set out with the thought that you might fail or you will . I have a LARGE box with all my failures but I learned something with each one . This challenge is all about doing and whether you succeed or fail you will learn something .
Tom , you are right , everyone will learn something by the end . Beginners and experienced alike .
John , sorry you feel that way . Anyone can follow a tutorial and build something but learn very little . If you figure it out for yourself you will learn how to think , so when you have a problem you will have the knowledge to to work it out yourself , not just ask for more help .

RAdams

Banned
I was just teasing boss. Trying to be funny...:tongue:

And as you could guess by my signature, I agree with John about tuts. I think a well written tutorial will give you a jumping off point and the ideas needed to do something you normally wouldnt. Some people would not consider doing something new if they couldnt first read a tutorial on how someone else does it, or they may have thought that it was really difficult and the tutorial disproved that for them. I think tutorials are just an example of how the writer achieves a goal. I have learned alot about the capabilities of my machine, and myself by simply reading tutorials.

I do agree that nobody should read a tutorial and rely on that as their only knowledge of the topic. Experience is key, And like my dad always told me, "Experience comes desguised as hard work". Put the theories to test. Use the tutorial to get the "juices flowing", and build on it from there!

Just my two pennies.

jttheclockman

ldb2000;1020731 John said:
Butch

Everyone has to start somewhere and a tutorial is just that. Like a set of instructions. You build from there is the goal or should be the goal. Failure is not always the answer to success. At some time you need guidance. I am sure you did not get to where you are without a tutorial or 2 along the way. Kitless pens are just one facet of pen turning. As well as casting, segmenting, scrolling, laser work. Too broad of a statement for me. But like I said just an opinion. Have fun. :biggrin:

Last edited:

ldb2000

I'm not knocking tutorials but you really don't learn much by just following someones instructions on how to do something . As a starting point I guess they show that "something" can be done , that flap A goes into slot B , but if you have a problem they can't help you with fixing that problem . If you worked out how that "something" was done yourself you have the knowledge of why flap A goes into slot B which gives you the understanding to fix it if it don't work . Also if you ever want to try "something" different knowing that "something" can be done won't help you adapt the old "something" to the new "something" , you need to understand why the "something" was put together the way it was to adapt it .
My main problem with tutorials is that most people will be happy to just do what has already been done and won't bother to learn why it was done that way . They really won't advance their knowledge base , so in that way it hurts their understanding .
Sorry but most people are afraid to fail at something but you learn as much by your failures as you do from your successes , failure is not something to be afraid of but something to be examined and figured out so you can succeed next time .

jttheclockman

I'm not knocking tutorials but you really don't learn much by just following someones instructions on how to do something . As a starting point I guess they show that "something" can be done , that flap A goes into slot B , but if you have a problem they can't help you with fixing that problem . If you worked out how that "something" was done yourself you have the knowledge of why flap A goes into slot B which gives you the understanding to fix it if it don't work . Also if you ever want to try "something" different knowing that "something" can be done won't help you adapt the old "something" to the new "something" , you need to understand why the "something" was put together the way it was to adapt it .
My main problem with tutorials is that most people will be happy to just do what has already been done and won't bother to learn why it was done that way . They really won't advance their knowledge base , so in that way it hurts their understanding .
Sorry but most people are afraid to fail at something but you learn as much by your failures as you do from your successes , failure is not something to be afraid of but something to be examined and figured out so you can succeed next time .

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. I think you are are not giving our pen turners enough credit. Not only pen turners but anyone who does something following a set of instructions or guidelines. You keep mentioning failures. The idea is not to have failures but these come weather you are following someone elses directions or building on your own ideas. Having fun in this hobby is what it is all about. People progress over time at their own pace.

OK I am stepping away from this discussion because truely this is not the intent of your adventure and am sorry for disrupting the train of thought. It was not my intent, only that I sort of took on a crick in the neck:befuddled: to the statement. I go see the doctor now:doctor:

Craftdiggity

I am not a particularly great pen turner, but I'll participate and give it my best shot.

As for the above statement, I could not disagree more. I have learned a great deal by following the details laid out by experienced turners. I agree that there is no better teacher than experience, but come on...tutorials hurt learning? Everyone learns differently and I for one appreciate everyone who takes the time to put their processes down on paper and share with the rest of us. The few tutorials that I have done on another site have been met with great appreciation and based on the discussion that followed it, I believe that people learned from it, and from each other.

Chris

Top Bottom