Odd Materials to Try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tomspens

I've always been wanting to try new types of pen blanks but I wasn't sure how they would turn out. Has anyone used: deer/buffalo horn, corncobs, shredded money, coffee beans, computer chips? If so, what have you thought of the material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Yes, yes,yes,yes, no and yes! :biggrin: Deer antler and horn make nice pens, are both harder materials and stink to hight heaven. Corn cobs are very interesting and always a conversation starter...Use already stabilized (turns similar to a plastic and available in several colors) or be prepared to use a lot of CA and a very light touch. Shredded money, looks great and another great convo starter. Just shredded money cast in PR so it turns like other "plastic" blanks. Never turned coffee blanks. Circuit board blanks again turn just like any PR or Aluminite. They ar also nice sellers.

juteck

Hi Tom, and welcome to the group!

You'll find lots of odd materials are used in this group, including those you mention, plus a bunch more. As part of this forum, there's a search feature that will help locate these specifically, as well as a well populated library that will give you just as many how to's.

For starters, check out the following:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/sea...log_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=coffee

http://www.penturners.org/forum/sea...g_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=corn+cob

http://www.penturners.org/forum/sea...plog_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=money

keep searching...there's lots to see and learn.

Again, welcome to the group!

John

mick

Coffee in alumilite is very easy to turn you will get covered in coffee dust. And a ca or similar finish is required

Ryan, Do they smell like coffee beans when turned?

Tom lets not forget Worthless wood/resin(fanstasic patterns and designs), Corian(many, many colors and patterns), Stamps, stickers or photos cast in resin(unlimited possibities) Pine cones, acorn caps or different pasta cast in resin(neat patterns and colors). You'll see a vast variety of items used here and some you might not want to see. (I won't mention the cat poop pen.)

Jim Burr

Banned
No more, no yes, yes no. Coffee smells great and they sell great at local coffee shops. Shredded $$ is kinda cool... novelty item mostly. Deer/buffalo...never again, stinks so bad you'll toss your cookies!!:wink::wink: With castings...there is no limit what so ever, feathers, watch parts, sawdust, anything!

RAdams

Banned
I think one of the first things we do when we start casting our own blanks is to start looking around the room and saying "Hmmmm. I wonder if THAT would fit in the mold, or be castable!" It is an endless area limited only by your own imagination. Fair warning though, If you start stuffing things in your casting mold, eventually you will cast something that has previously been done, and you may hear some whining about how you can't do what you are doing because you weren't the first person to do it. When this happens, take the whining with a grain of salt.

mrcook4570

Yes to all. Only major problem is with horn. It likes to crack several months down the road, so I no longer use it. It is just too unpredictable. The others make fine pens.

jttheclockman

Casting just opens a slew of options. The work is in the casting and the turning is just like any other acrylic blank. Here are some castings I have done and shown recently. I call these my metal casting. From left to right: Brass, stainless steel, copper and finally chrome.

IMGP0616.jpg

IMGP0619.jpg

Also a couple of wire insulation sleeves used for these castings.

IMGP0634.jpg

Willee

Here is a Slimline I made years ago.
Knitting Yarn wrapped on the tubes.
Might look even better if it were cast in PR.

Needs cleaning ... think I should use the gentle cycle on the washing machine?

John ... love those braided pens you made ... real nice!

Attachments

• knit1.jpg
    knit1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Top Bottom