new to closed-end pens - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Advanced Pen Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Advanced Pen Making Kit-less construction; designs and challenges beyond those normally associated with kit pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Question new to closed-end pens

Greetings, all
I'm making my first closed-end pen, using a Jr. Gent II kit, using the tubes. Baby steps.
Just need some help ensuring that I drill the hole the correct length for the refill. Does 2.647 in. sound right to you? I've checked another Jr. Gent pen I made. Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Katya
Katya is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Here's how I do it:

Using the correct drill for the barrel tube, drill the length of the tube plus a smidge for cleaning up the end of the barrel.

Then switch to a smaller drill bit (such as 7mm) -- it just needs to be large enough diameter for the end of the rollerball refill & spring to fit into (or the tail end of the cartridge/converter if it's a fountain pen).

You can measure the finial component from the kit to see how deep this extra hole needs to be -- remember to allow for the thickness added by the press-fit coupler, but you can deduct the length of the screw threads on the finial.

Doing it this way keeps the brass tube from disappearing into the hole when you're gluing it in -- and if you use a regular mandrel, you can slip a 7mm tube into the far end of the blank and it will hold that end centered on a regular mandrel without needing a bushing or one of the fancy "gripper" mandrels.

Last edited by duncsuss; 10-06-2017 at 05:19 PM.
duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 45

I assume you have a set of digital readout calipers, which will also measure hole depth ....
.... indispensible.

Since you have already checked another Jr Gent pen you made, you should be "good to go".

I don't make Jr Gent II, but I just checked a Jr. Harold I made recently and I make the whole depth on it to be 2.737"

I don't think it is terribly critical since the spring (RB assumed) compensates for variations in length

I'd suggest, for your first attempt, that you start with the blank a little over-long and the hole a little on the short side. . You can then make adjustments as needed.

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads