Need guidance on cross pattern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bcfire133

I just had a lady order 4 olivewood pens. She asked if I could put a cross on them. I'm still pretty new to pen turning, and don't have access to an engraver, and haven't done an inlay kit yet. What would you folks recommend? I have thought about a wood burning kit or maybe a decal.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

Hi! I've done various different cross pens. Here is a link to a post I made showing a cross pen made just with segmenting. I did this by simply cutting a piece of olive wood length ways and gluing in a thin strip of bloodwood. Then I cut a horizontal groove less than half way through the piece and glued in a properly sized piece for the horizontal bar. This is probably the trickiest part -- you have to make sure to get the cut deep enough to show in the turned blank but not too deep so that it goes too far around. You can make this cut on just one side or both sides to give you a cross on either side. I then sandwiched that segmented piece between more olive wood on the top and some bocote on the bottom (to look like the ground).

If you are doing a slimline, you could also just add a cross clip.

Hope this helps!

stuckinohio

You could go the easy way and buy a pre-made olivewood blank with a cross inlay already!
Classic nib carries them, off the top of my head. There are others I think.

You dont need to worry about doing too much with these. I've never done one, but I don't think they are like a typical inlay kit. Even if they are, they look very simple.

Mr Vic

I've used a 1.5mm Dockyard Micro Chisel set to carve a turned blank. Then fill with inlace or fine glitter, paint etc. depending on desired color.

KenV

Inlay kits are pretty straight forward. There are several vendors from ExoticBlanks to R and B Crafts who sell nice kits. Was on R and B Crafts site today and they have olive wood and cross in a couple of styles.

Top Bottom