(mostly) kitless slim idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
After putting it off and putting it off, and seeing some really cool pens lately, I have decided to start by "designing" a kitless. I am sure i am not the first person to do one this way, but this is my thoughts. Please help me if i am way wrong or what have you.

First. It is all in the mentality with this pen. You have to do the body of the pen like a closed end, but indeed it is not a closed end.

My idea:

Drill the body just like a closed end.
reverse the blank and drill the "Nib hole".
glue and true the blank.
mount, turn and finish
CAREFULLY measure and press a slim transmission.
turn the top half closed end, or with finial and clip.
Only for the center band, instead of metal, turn a tenon exactly down to a drill bit size, drill a different material and turn the CB right in the top half.

feasable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

You mean kinda like this ?

1_alballpoint1.jpg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'm certainly not an expert, but here is my .02.

I have never tried to turn a blank down to a nib. I have read that doing so makes the blank so thin that it will crack. Insert the nib from the slimline kit into the lower tube first then insert it into the drilled blank. You may have to grind the nib first to insert it (like I said, I've never done it, just read about it). This reinforces the blank so it will not crack while it is being turned.

You don't have to turn a tenon to make the center band. Cut the upper blank slightly longer than the tube. Glue the center band material to the upper blank before you turn it. Turn the upper blank to a slightly wider diameter than the lower blank and you will achieve the effect that you want.

RAdams

Banned
EXACTLY Butch! That is what i am going to "attempt" in PR. Your version is AMAZING!

Mike: Thanks for the heads up on the nib and CB! I am guessing that you meant to say to cut the top blank a bit short of the tube? and replace that missing material with the CB material yes? then true that end up and go?

ldb2000

The PR will work just fine and the nib end will be plenty strong without the kit nib installed in the blank , on wood this is a weak spot but there are other work arounds for this problem . On wood you can soak the nib end in thin CA , I have done a number of all wood body pens this way without any problems of the tip cracking .
For the center band I would make sure that the CB segment is supported with the upper brass tube , the tenon idea works well too .
Another material that works well for this kind of pen is Corian .
I made a checkbook pen for the LOML out of Stainless for the upper body and crushed velvet for the lower body . If I can steal it long enough to get a picture I will post it .

Last edited:

mbroberg

What I mean to say is glue your centerband material to your blank then cut it slightly longer than the tube. The kit centerband does not slide onto the upper tube and neither should the material that you are going to use to replace it. Your blank material should not be cut shorter than your tube but your centerband material, which is glued to the blank material, should extend beyond your tube at least as long as the height of the kit's centerband.

EXACTLY Butch! That is what i am going to "attempt" in PR. Your version is AMAZING!

Mike: Thanks for the heads up on the nib and CB! I am guessing that you meant to say to cut the top blank a bit short of the tube? and replace that missing material with the CB material yes? then true that end up and go?

mbroberg

Listen to Butch. He is far more experienced and knowledgeable than I am.

The PR will work just fine and the nib end will be plenty strong without the kit nib installed in the blank , on wood this is a weak spot but there are other work arounds for this problem . On wood you can soak the nib end in thin CA , I have done a number of all wood body pens this way without any problems of the tip cracking .
For the center band I would make sure that the CB segment is supported with the upper brass tube , the tenon idea works well too .
Another material that works well for this kind of pen is Corian .

ldb2000

Here's the photo of the checkbook pen . I had to pry it from her hands . It is very slender to fit the loop and no clip , her checkbook has a zipper so it can't fall out .
It is made from some crushed velvet and stainless steel . There is a 7mm brass tube in the lower half and a 7mm transmission but no tube in the top

1_checkbookpen.jpg

RAdams

Banned
when you say crushed velvet, do you mean you cast the velvet? or is that a blank that you buy? If you cast it, how? if you don't mind me asking...

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Crushed Velvet is a plastic material that LOOKS like cruched velvet. It was the 1st plastic available for making pens about 20 years ago. It has generally been replaced by the fancier plastics. Look in the pen blanks in the various catalogs. Some of them may still have it.

Top Bottom