More aggressive threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I have looked in the library and it explains well how to do kitless with a M12x.75 tap and die for the cap. I have successfully made a few practice cap and body threads and just find that it takes a long time for the cap to seat on the body with threads that fine.

Can someone recommend a size that is a bit more aggressive? I really do not want to put in the expense for a triple start yet. I was hoping someone had some experience with something that capped the pen with a little less turns.

Thanks for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can make the thread section shorter is one way. make them less than a 1/4 inch long. If you go to a larger pitch say 1mm or 1.5 it will screw on faster but it will effect your look and possibly some of your inside dimensions.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes it only takes a full thread or two to hold the cap on. .200 long is apx 5mm or apx 7 full revolutions at .75 pitch. You could easily drop it down to 3mm long, 1/8th.

Brooks803

If you're concerned with how it'd look with only a few threads on the body of the pen you can always drill out some of the threads in the cap. If I'm not happy with the # of turns after I'm done with the pen I take an exacto and cut some away.

Penultimate

I recommend not using a course pitch thread. I made a pen with a course pitch and it didn't look good. Also, the thread depth didn't leave enough material for the internal section threads. It evidentially broke.

brownsfn2

If you're concerned with how it'd look with only a few threads on the body of the pen you can always drill out some of the threads in the cap. If I'm not happy with the # of turns after I'm done with the pen I take an exacto and cut some away.

Do you mean so that the threads start further up inside the cap?

Brooks803

Do you mean so that the threads start further up inside the cap?

Correct. By taking out the first couple of threads it'll decrease the number of turns to close the cap. Do a little at a time until you get a feel for how far to take it. You still need enough threads to hold everything nice and tight.

Top Bottom