"Martin" Cigar pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmanship

Made the mistake of showing my wife a photo of some "cigar pens". (beautiful work btw)

SWMBO (and I quote) "You have to make those, get what ever tools you need to make it happen"............:biggrin:

Sweet, problem is I ain't gotta clue what the heck I need, or where to get it to make closed end pens. Ive admired closed end pens from afar, but have never made them.:confused: What are the best kits for this type of application?

Any direction will be appreciated!

Tim

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Made the mistake of showing my wife a photo of some "cigar pens". (beautiful work btw)

SWMBO (and I quote) "You have to make those, get what ever tools you need to make it happen"............:biggrin:

Sweet, problem is I ain't gotta clue what the heck I need, or where to get it to make closed end pens. Ive admired closed end pens from afar, but have never made them.:confused: What are the best kits for this type of application?

Any direction will be appreciated!

Tim

NICE!!! open checkbook for tools.... I could think of all kinds of things that I would 'need' to make that happen!.

However, if the experts here are willing to share... I get the closed end part. Can anyone share tips on the 'completely no band' with these kits? I'd like to try this with a Jr Gent, but am wondering if that will work. Hmmm.. time to go home and look at a Jr closer.

Halfcaff

Penmanship
Closed-ends are not as difficult to make as they look. Double closed-ends just add some more tinkering but is still not that difficult. There are many ways to make them. First you need a way to secure the blanks while you turn them. Some options are between centers, closed-end mandrels from A.S. (expensive and kit specific), make your our mandrel from a punch and an alan wrench, and the easiest way (I think) is using an adjustable mandrel.

I use an adjustable mandrel so I will tell you how to do it that way. You can find how to's in the library for the others. Cut your blanks to size and drill them with a bit just smaller than the threads on the end of adjustable mandrel. You will want to drill just shy of the end of the blank (or your closed-end will have a big hole in the end of it). Then you want to redrill the blank with the proper size bit for the tube. You just need to drill the length of the tube. Do not drill the same length of the first hole or you will not have anything to thread on to the mandrel. Once you have finished prepping the blanks adjust the mandrel so that it is about half an inch longer than the blank and associated bushing. Thread the blank onto the mandrel and make it good and snug. Then take your live center and tighten it to the end you are going to close while you round it out. Then you can remove it for final shaping and finishing. It is just that simple.....in theory. With some practice and patients you will get it and perfect your own way of making them.

Alphageek,
The 'completely no band' took a little bit of tinkering as well but is a pretty simple fix. I use the churchill or el grande kits because the center band is plastic. Basically you just sand down the outside of the band until it fits inside the tube. That's it. I am sure you could do the very same thing with metal center bands but you will just have to use files.

This is by no means comprehensive but hopefully will point you in the right direction.
Caleb

MartinPens

Tim, I use closed-end mandrels. There are no other special tools, really. I do use a forstner bit for one of the steps. You could always buy one from me to keep your wife happy until you figure it out!! : )

Martin

MartinPens

Now that I've said that.... I think a collet chuck is indispensible. Makes the whole process so much smoother and it's a solid little chuck. Do you need a link? I don't remember right off hand where I got it, but I can look it up or maybe someone will jump in and give the info.

Martin

Top Bottom