Making a Fountain pen Section - A Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

titan2

Great tutorial George!!!

I made a PowerPoint Presentation out of it for anyone that interested.

I was able to attach .ppt files before......don't seem to work any more.:befuddled:

I can send a file to anyone that's interested.

I've attached a .pdf of the slide show.....it failed also....what's going on?:befuddled:
I can send it also if anyone's interested......

For those interested in any of the above.....I'll need your e-mail address as it doesn't look like I can send them via our system here....

Barney

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Great tutorial George!!!

I was able to attach .ppt files before......don't seem to work any more.

Barney

Thanks Barney, the first of the week the librarian, TomW is also converting it over to a PDF file and it will be in library and I'm sure a link will e posted in this thread so for those without Powerpoint, it will be viewable on the forum as well.

titan2

Great tutorial George!!!

I was able to attach .ppt files before......don't seem to work any more.

Barney

Thanks Barney, the first of the week the librarian, TomW is also converting it over to a PDF file and it will be in library and I'm sure a link will e posted in this thread so for those without Powerpoint, it will be viewable on the forum as well.

George,

I can send you a copy of the PowerPoint Presentation as well as the .pdf I made from the presentation.....

If you want them, just need your e-mail and I'll send them out when I get home tonight.

Later,

Barney

ericw95

George - Thank you for your contribution and bringing the site back to what it was when I joined. Now if I can only get the shop time to complete my PITH, Christmas presents, oh and knock off ALL those pen ideas that we had when I started with the IAP.

watchman7

George - Thanks for the tutorial. Your ability to show and explain things you do helps all of us trying to catch up.

TomW

I will be putting this tutorial into the library as soon as I can get done with "real work"...

Now, let's get George to do the Pen Cap Tutorial!

Tom

Texatdurango

I will be putting this tutorial into the library as soon as I can get done with "real work"...

Now, let's get George to do the Pen Cap Tutorial!

Tom

Tom I'm not sure that a tutorial on making a pen cap is really needed anymore and am not really sure that this little tutorial was really necessary. Seemed that most already knew how to make the sections.

Two years ago when I did the tutorial "Another way of making a pen" kitless pen making was pretty new to most members so it was beneficial to a lot of folks. Since then more and more people have started their journey into the kitless world and have been picking up tidbits all along and are now making some nice pens. I think by now those who are truely interested in making their own pens have already started or at least have a good knowledge of what's involved and are pretty well up to speed on making a cap with a threaded finial and the different ways of attaching clips.

wood-of-1kind

George, you are too humble (I mean it). It does belong in the library. There is no one here at IAP that goes through the "process" of writing and photographing the "steps" to do the work as well as you. Your write up makes it "clear" and inspires some of us to go ahead and try something that would otherwise remain undone.

Once again, I offer sincere thanks for posting this.:)

cnirenberg

Definitely Library material. Actually I just printed it out to keep by my lathe. Well done (again) George. Thanks for taking your time to do all this.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
+ 10 on this comment! You're the best, George!!!
George, you are too humble (I mean it). It does belong in the library. There is no one here at IAP that goes through the "process" of writing and photographing the "steps" to do the work as well as you. Your write up makes it "clear" and inspires some of us to go ahead and try something that would otherwise remain undone.

Once again, I offer sincere thanks for posting this.:)

Pete275

I've received quite a few PM's asking about the taps involved so decided to go ahead and make this a little more in-depth.

Don't just jump in and start turning a blank to size, there are several steps you need to take before starting on a section because certain things rely on other things so....

1. Decide whether you want a large or small pen. This generally dictates the use of a small #5 nib or a large #6 nib.

2. Once the size pen is decided and the right size nib, you need to select the nib you want to use. I use Heritance and Bock nibs and each require their own tap to cut threads in the inside of the section.

3. The sections require different size holes for the different feed housings so knowing the brand you want to use up front is important.

4. So, now you know the size pen, the size nib, and the brand of nib you want so now you can start drilling and tapping and having fun!

A few examples: If I am making a medium to small size pen where I use the 12mm multi-start threads, I like to use a #5 nib so liking the Heritance and Bock nibs that are available I have two choices of taps to use.

1. For the Heritance feed housing I will need a 6.4mm x .5mm tap to thread the inside of the section so the housing will screw in allowing me to slip the Heritance feed and nib on.

2. For the Bock feed housing I will need a 6.4mm x .6mm tap to thread the inside of the section so the housing will screw in allowing me to slip the Bock feed and nib on.

Please do not look at the .5mm and .6mm thread pitches and think one tap will do both, I've tried and ruined a few feed housings in the process. The threads are just close enough to cause a nasty cross thread mess!

There are four taps that I use for all of my sections depending on whether I am making a small pen or a large pen:

Heritance #5 - 6.4mm x .5mm - available at http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Nibs/
Heritance #6 - 8.4mm x .75mm - available at http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Nibs/

Bock #5 - 6.4mm x .6mm - available at http://www.classicnib.com/feeds.html
Bock #6 - 7.9mm x .6mm - available at http://www.classicnib.com/feeds.html

For cutting the exterior section threads where the section actually screws onto the pen body I use a 9mm x .75mm tap (available at http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Metric-Taps/1310.html) for all the pens simply because I don't want to be switching around all the time. This size thread WILL NOT fit the kit sections which use a 10mm x 1mm thread but I feel that using the smaller threads allows me more material between the inner and outer threads of the pen body thus eliminating a weak link.

I hope this makes sense and helps answer some questions.

I'm hoping this part makes it into the library also.

Wayne

Texatdurango

First, I appreciate all the kind comments and the PM's. For those who PM'd asking for more information and details, I updated the original file with some details about taps and their sources but more importantly, some of the thinking that has to happen before you chuck a piece of material up and start turning. Be sure and read the first few paragraphs, it might save some material hitting the trash can! :biggrin:

Texatdurango

Is it at all possible to be put into the library?? I'm not ready yet for this but for future reference it would be great!!!!
Thanks George, it take out a lot of guess work.:biggrin:
Kryn
It will be placed in the library this weekend. I guess some members still have jobs and can't just sit around here all day! Go figure!:)

Texatdurango

For those interested, the tutorial is now in the library as a PDF, I scaled down the photos and added a few changes which will hopefully make things more understandable and some more details about taps and things to note before just diving in and drilling. I think the PDF conversion makes the text easier to read, at least to those using bifocals!

SDB777

For the #5 (small) Heritance feed housing you will need a 6.4mm x .5mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Nibs/

For the #5 (small) Bock feed housing you will need a 6.4mm x .6mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.classicnib.com/feeds.html

Please do not look at the .5mm and .6mm thread pitches and think one tap will do both, I've tried and ruined a few feed housings in the process. The threads are just close enough to cause a nasty cross thread mess!

For the #6 (large) Heritance feed housing you will need a 8.4mm x .75mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Nibs/
For the #6 (large) Bock feed housing you will need a 7.9mm x .6mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.classicnib.com/feeds.html

I have been looking at everything I can find in the last few days about making sections. And I keep coming back to this topic(very cool-insert a big thumbs up smilie thing here)!

Was wondering....it is not mentioned anywhere in here about what size drill bits you are using for these nib holders(in the quoted area above) or the diameter that you turn the outsides down to before threading, is there a 'set in stone' diameter that should be used to get the best 'fit' in the threading?

Scott (got plenty of blanks to ruin, but would rather not) B

Twissy

For the #5 (small) Heritance feed housing you will need a 6.4mm x .5mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Nibs/

For the #5 (small) Bock feed housing you will need a 6.4mm x .6mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.classicnib.com/feeds.html

For the #6 (large) Heritance feed housing you will need a 8.4mm x .75mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Nibs/
For the #6 (large) Bock feed housing you will need a 7.9mm x .6mm tap to thread the inside of the section. Available at http://www.classicnib.com/feeds.html
I have been looking at everything I can find in the last few days about making sections. And I keep coming back to this topic(very cool-insert a big thumbs up smilie thing here)!

Was wondering....it is not mentioned anywhere in here about what size drill bits you are using for these nib holders(in the quoted area above) or the diameter that you turn the outsides down to before threading, is there a 'set in stone' diameter that should be used to get the best 'fit' in the threading?

Scott (got plenty of blanks to ruin, but would rather not) B

This info is available here somewhere because that's where I gleaned it from:)
Another excellent source of thread sizes is jjudge's tap die chart.

For the male threads cut with a die I turn a tenon to the thread diameter minus 0.2mm so for an M9x0.75 I turn a tenon of 8.8mm.

For the female thread cut with a tap I take the thread diameter and subtract the pitch. So again for the M9x0.75 I use an 8.2mm drill bit (closest to 8.25 I have).
Regards
John

Texatdurango

George,
Great tutorial! By the way, how did you make the die holder? My email is Kenessl@cox.net

Ken

Sorry Ken, you're on your own! I posted earlier today thinking that by directing folks to the proper existing thread about these tools that I would save me the time of answering individual emails over and over but that thread got deleted.

Five months away from the forum and my first post gets deleted, I should have figured as much, I guess some things will never change!

Mods, what would it take to just delete this whole thread? Since I started it, it would be fine with me. That way everyone wins, people won't know to email me about anything seen here and you won't have to worry about me posting on the forum anymore!

wood-of-1kind

George, I miss your posts and wondered where the heck you have been. Hope that you stick around since we have already lost some 'key' contributors to this forum. :)

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
George,
Great tutorial! By the way, how did you make the die holder? My email is Kenessl@cox.net

Ken

Sorry Ken, you're on your own! I posted earlier today thinking that by directing folks to the proper existing thread about these tools that I would save me the time of answering individual emails over and over but that thread got deleted.

Five months away from the forum and my first post gets deleted, I should have figured as much, I guess some things will never change!

Mods, what would it take to just delete this whole thread? Since I started it, it would be fine with me. That way everyone wins, people won't know to email me about anything seen here and you won't have to worry about me posting on the forum anymore!

Hello, George. Nice to see you visiting us again.

Sorry your thread had to be deleted, but it violated the marketing rules we put in place back in 2011. At that time, many members, including you, complained that there was too much marketing and thinly disguised selling going on in the forums. So we put rules in place, and one of those is that you can't advertise things for sale outside the Marketplace.

In the post you made, you posted a link to an expired classified ad where you were selling the die holders. I think you can understand why reposting that classifieds link in the open forums would go against the policy that you and others said was needed. I know your intentions were good, but we try to enforce the rules evenly.

Folks, so we're not "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" by enforcing the rules, I'll mention that in the deleted post, George also provided the link to his excellent YouTube video on using the die holder. If you do any kind of threading, you should check that out.

George, since you are just trying to help folks out, and I see that you have reactivated PMs in your account, perhaps you'd like to place a classified again and help a few members who want the die holders. As a little nice-to-see-you-again gift, I've put two thread credits for the Classifieds Forum in your account so you can create a thread there at no cost.

Hope that helps clear up any mystery about disappearing threads!

yaroslaw

Am I missing something, from this thread I have supposed to find it with other part in article in Library, but I cannot find it there. Actually, no articles by George in Library. Does it exist in reality or am I missing something?
This part is very informative, I would love to see whole article if it exists:)

Texatdurango

Am I missing something, from this thread I have supposed to find it with other part in article in Library, but I cannot find it there. Actually, no articles by George in Library. Does it exist in reality or am I missing something?
This part is very informative, I would love to see whole article if it exists:)

You are not missing anything, the entire tutorial is in the first post of this thread and there is no "other part" to the tutorial.

It was in the library but I asked that it be removed for several reasons, none of which I want to get into here.

Top Bottom