Looking for Jr Gent II Feed Tap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Brian said.........I can tell you the the pitch is .5mm. The major diameter is .250".

I would recommend sending the housing itself to whichever company is making your tap.

This way, you take the responsibility of accurate specs off of yourself, and onto the company.........Justin

Something is ODD here! The thread pitch on the Jr Gent section is not .5mm, they are courser than that, closer to .75 pitch.

Brian, if you are reading this, Can you shed some light on this?

If the meister nib feed is .5mm then it can't be a "plug and play" or direct screw in replacement for the Jr Gent and other kits..... unless you just want to cross thread the feed and call it good!

Justin is not the only pen maker trying to find a reliable source for nibs/feeds for his custom creations. Finding a nib and feed for sale is one thing, finding the proper tap to make threads in a custom made pen section to accept that nib/feed is another story.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

George, like you I have been watching this thread with some bemusement.

If I was importing and selling feeds to penmakers I would make it my business to have the technical details re the thread/pitch sizes at my fingertips.

After all a simple email to the manufacturer should get that information straight from the horses' mouth.

Anyway, my best "guess" for the thread/pitch of the Jr Gent II feed was 1/4-32 and I purchased a tap/die for this from Victor Machinery some time ago. This set, together with about 10 others, have been sitting in one of my drawers since they arrived and I haven't got back to actually trying most of them.

I will today try the 1/4-32 tap and see whether my guess was correct.

According to this chart, the 1/4-32 is a UNEF (Unified Extra Fine) thread and it needs a 5.7mm drill for tapping and the pitch equates to .794mm.

This 5.7mm drill sits halfway between a #2 (5.6134mm) and a #1 (5.7912mm) drill bit, according to this chart, so I will try both.

I will report back with my results.

Last edited:

BigShed

OK, having now made a male and female thread (in clear PR) I can now report that the 1/4-32 doesn't match the thread on the Jr Gent II feed. The feed only screws in about about 1 1/2 threads in to the female 1/4-32.

I can however report that the #2 drill worked fine.

So, back to the drawing board. I have once again looked at my metric pitch gauge and it does look like 0.75 pitch, so perhaps we're looking at a 6.4mmx0.75mm thread.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I believe someone is trying the 1/4x34tpi and will let us inow if it will work. If it doesnt I will order 6.4x.75 taps and keep them in inventory. If the 1/4x 34 works then there is no sense in custom ordering taps. Victor Machinery has the 1/4-34 for under $8.00 and the custom taps are going to be in the $30.00 range.
Mike

Timebandit

Findings:

We have success. A huge thanks to Mike for his help. I just taped a piece of Lucite with the 1/4 x 34 tap from Victor upon the recommendation of Mike and the #5 Meisternib housing and the #5 Jr Gent housing both screwed in perfectly. This was a huge relief for me as i was sick of searching and was ready to give up. :eek:

So the conclusion is that the closet tap to use for the Jr Gent and the #5 Meisternib feed housing is a 1/4 x 34 tap from the source of your liking.:biggrin:

Again thank you everyone for all of your help on this. Someday i might be able to figure this kind of stuff out myself.:redface:

Justin

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I rather imagine that the m6.5x.75 is the official thread size but the 1/4-34tpi will be much cheaper. Thanks Justin

I have purchased 10 of the taps from Victor Machinery, if you dont have other stuff you need to make the $25.00 minimum. They will be $10.00 each plus shipping. That will cover the cost of the taps shipping to me and the paypal fees.

Last edited:

BigShed

Thank you Justin, good to have it confirmed that the 1/4-34 tap works for the Jr Gent II and the Meister #5 feeds.

Mike, thanks also for ordering some in from Victor Machinery, I have sent you an email.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Victor Machinery just emailed me and canceled the tap order. They are out of stock, someone bought the last one and they dont plan to replace them.

Mike

Timebandit

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Victor Machinery just emailed me and canceled the tap order. They are out of stock, someone bought the last one and they dont plan to replace them.

Mike

:eek:............. I wonder if that was me:confused::redface: The one i received from them looked like it was old and even had a little rust on it. It looks like maybe they havent sold any of these in years and i got the last remaining one that had been sitting on the shelf for years. Sorry guys.:frown: Im sure we can find some more somewhere else:redface:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dont apologize I can order them from tapco but the price is about 3 times that of Victor machinery if they had them. THey have pulled it from their list. I will order a dozen of them nest week.

Top Bottom