Like to make my own bullet pens?wonder what kit - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Advanced Pen Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Advanced Pen Making Kit-less construction; designs and challenges beyond those normally associated with kit pens.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Like to make my own bullet pens?wonder what kit

Looking for suggestion what pen kit would you recommend to use to make my own bullet pen, I have cartiage from 306 shells blanks were use from the funeral salute when my brother pass away. I have already gotten the real bullet tip now that are drill out. Thanks in advance to all that make suggestions. Louie
www.nature4pens.com
louie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Moderator

Photos: 7

For a 30-06, the obvious choice to me is a slimline - the transmission and tube match up very well and the shell size is very similar to a comfort (except I don't do a center band).

Fill in your info!! so we can find out if your near other turners!
alphageek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Hey Louie--

"Practice" with a few shells that are NOT the ones from the funeral. If you have difficulties that you cannot overcome, call me. Just PM for my phone number. If need be, I will run down to your house (Northern Ill can't be THAT far) and help you make these.

"Give it a shot" as they say, but let me know if you just can't figure it out.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 55

There are a couple great resources for bullet pens in the Library section of the forum.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Hey Louie--

"Practice" with a few shells that are NOT the ones from the funeral. If you have difficulties that you cannot overcome, call me. Just PM for my phone number. If need be, I will run down to your house (Northern Ill can't be THAT far) and help you make these.

Great offer Ed, now how about northern Nebraska, will you come visit me?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter-27 View Post
Quote:
Hey Louie--

I'm a penmaker, Landon, not a psychiatrist!!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default bullet pen

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Louie--

I saw a great video about making your from scratch bullet pens all the way down to soldering the 7mm tube in place. I don't remember the name of the man doing it, but look for it on Utube
okiebugg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 26

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Louie--

LOL now I've done spit soda all over my iPad.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man. - George Washington
Phunky_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiebugg View Post

I saw a great video about making your from scratch bullet pens all the way down to soldering the 7mm tube in place. I don't remember the name of the man doing it, but look for it on Utube
Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Qb...eature=related
My video player is not working now, but I think this is it.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." Douglas MacArthur
navycop is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have been making my own Cartridge pens for a while. I use the gold Cigar kits from Woodturnz as they are inespensive. I made my own tooling to hold the bullets and cartridge case to drill it to size.
If the cartridge cases you have were blanks to fire the salute you will need to get them neck sized as they were never intended to be loaded with a bullet. As far as the bullet I use a 168 grain boat tail hollow point and drill from the base that way the hole comes out center of the nose. I then melt all the lead out of the bullet and repolish.
I use the tutoral put out by rherrell listed in the library, he has done most of the hard work.
I am including a thread I posted a while back that may help'

"Making cartridge pens can be somewhat of a trial when drilling either the bullet or cartridge case so being more of a machinst than pen maker came up with a few fixtures to ease the problem along to completion.
The Lee reloading company makes a spinner to hold cartridge case to clean them in most calibers I use #2 as it will work on .308,30-06 cases.
To hold the bullet I bored a piece of 3/8th brass to .300 diameter and using a slitting saw made four cuts. to drill the bullet just insert the bullet in the piece and chuck it in a 3/8th collet and tighten if you drill and ream the fixture in the collet you are going to use it will allow you to drill a dead center hole each time.
To hold a case I did same thing altho used a piece of 9/16th diameter brass rod (it was a mistake from another project) 3/4 or 5/8th inch would work just as well, and drilled and reamed it to the outside diameter of the case, and using a .026 slitting saw cut four slots so when clamped in the collet it holds the case for drilling. I drilled the fixture so it would bottom out deep enough so that only 3/8ths of the rear of the case protrudes from the fixture. As the case is tapered be sure to cut to the portion you are going to clamp to, drilling a pilot hole in the end of the fixture for the neck of the cartridge case to fit in helps aline it for clamping.

The other piece I made is for holding the cap for the top of the pen again I used 3/8ths piece of steel rod, turned half of it to fit the inside of and the same lenght of the 10mm brass tube and drilled and tapped it for a 10-24 screw one inch deep and again used a slitting saw to make four cuts 3/4 inch long, and used a 62 degree center drill, drilled a taper in the tapped end and used a socket head flat head screw with a trimmed diameter for a wedge to expand the end to hold the 10mm brass tube.

I used the cartridge making tutorial made up by rherrell that is listed in the library for the basic plans for the pens and use the cigar kits for the internals. With these plans the top of the pen needed to be from 3/8th to 1/2 inch longer than the tube to fit over the end of the cartridge so this fixture allows you to chuck the cap to allow the end to be bored to fit the end of the case. I use both tubes that come in the kit with the longer one in the case and the shorter one for the cap.

Boy I hope this makes sense if not let me know and I will attempt to clear up any questions.
If I can help any further let me know At least thats my story
Attached Thumbnails
100_1234.jpg  

Last edited by Rolland; 09-08-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: add additional
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads