Lighthouse Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Gaiser

Hi Guys,
I want to make a lighthouse pen for my mother for xmas. My plan is to use the Panache kit as a base, modify the top to look like the top of a lighthouse.
Want I am looking for input wise is how to give the pen the look of bricks?
I know I could just do the black & white, but bricks would be sooo much cooler. :) To look correct the pattern would have to be very small.

Pics below...

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...en_Kits___Panache_Pen_Kit___panache_pen?Args=

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Gaiser

Pics

Attachments

• 156845_l.jpg
    156845_l.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Amrum_lighthouse.jpg
    Amrum_lighthouse.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 194
  • cape-canaveral-lighthouse-2.jpg
    cape-canaveral-lighthouse-2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 145
  • img2190667.jpg
    img2190667.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 258
  • the-corolla-lighthouse.jpg
    the-corolla-lighthouse.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 468

Don Gaiser

Very nice stuff, and the lighthouse pen is top notch... and if I cant find a satisfactory way to do bricks, that is the route I will take. Thanks for your input! :)
-Don

I'm no good at segmenting but maybe you can use this for inspiration: http://randbcrafts.com/previous_works_gallery.html I doubt I have to explain which one I'm referring to. Oh, and the black majestic (2nd to last) is super bad A! (not that I'm biased or anything :rolleyes::biggrin:)

workinforwood

2 half inch thick board cedar or bloodwood with walnut veneer sandwich between to start. Slice to be 1/2 thick, 2 pieces and glue those back together with walnut veneer in between. Now looking at top u have 4 1/2 square long sticks with veneer in between like a t. Now drill down center your tube hole. Cut several 1" squares of veneer and stack them tight and drill center of those. Grab long drilled stick..set up chop saw and slice the long slick into several 3/8 thick pieces. Mix up 60 min epoxy. Stand tube on counter over wax paper.put some glue around bottom of tube. Slide down a section bricks. Put more glue on top bricks and slide a veneer piece down on top. Next you repeat but next set of brick you turn 45 degrees! Then next set sam as first set...so every second brick layer is turned...that's overlapping your bricks. When tube full, clamp it and let sit overnight.

Don Gaiser

Thanks Jeff, I think this may be what I will try, but in a much smaller scale... I think veneer is the way to go. I just have to find some in a brick red color and a mortar color. :)
Thanks
-Don

2 half inch thick board cedar or bloodwood with walnut veneer sandwich between to start. Slice to be 1/2 thick, 2 pieces and glue those back together with walnut veneer in between. Now looking at top u have 4 1/2 square long sticks with veneer in between like a t. Now drill down center your tube hole. Cut several 1" squares of veneer and stack them tight and drill center of those. Grab long drilled stick..set up chop saw and slice the long slick into several 3/8 thick pieces. Mix up 60 min epoxy. Stand tube on counter over wax paper.put some glue around bottom of tube. Slide down a section bricks. Put more glue on top bricks and slide a veneer piece down on top. Next you repeat but next set of brick you turn 45 degrees! Then next set sam as first set...so every second brick layer is turned...that's overlapping your bricks. When tube full, clamp it and let sit overnight.

workinforwood

Bloodwood is red buckeye burl is grey and easy to find in veneer. The finished blank needs be 1" to fit a panache kit. I would use exact sizes I said, the bricks won't be that big, u get 4 brick per layer and if you slice thinner for bicks than 3/8 then proportions be thrown off as bricks be too long and not high enough. Done this many times.

Don Gaiser

Bloodwood is red buckeye burl is grey and easy to find in veneer. The finished blank needs be 1" to fit a panache kit. I would use exact sizes I said, the bricks won't be that big, u get 4 brick per layer and if you slice thinner for bicks than 3/8 then proportions be thrown off as bricks be too long and not high enough. Done this many times.

Actually I was thinking I want it to look like this... picture the tower as the bottom half of the Panache, which means no way can I do it veneer style :(
It took almost 45 mins to make this in Lightwave, it would prolly take 45 years to do veneer segmentation like this in real life.

Attachments

• brick 1.jpg
    brick 1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 136
  • brick 2.jpg
    brick 2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 138
  • brick 3.jpg
    brick 3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

juteck

For "brickwork" that fine, you might want to consider talking to someone with a laser engraver to burn the mortar lines in, then fill them with color if needed after that. Bloodwood would be a good choice for the red brick, but you'd want to talk to the laser gurus on that. A plain piece of wood without much figure would be your best choice, so the grain doesn't affect the illusion from the laser lines.

Alternatively, you could always get a decent pyrography burner and fine skew tip pen and burn the lines in yourself -- it might not take quite as long as segmenting the veneer.

ryvnd2001

For "brickwork" that fine, you might want to consider talking to someone with a laser engraver to burn the mortar lines in, then fill them with color if needed after that. Bloodwood would be a good choice for the red brick, but you'd want to talk to the laser gurus on that. A plain piece of wood without much figure would be your best choice, so the grain doesn't affect the illusion from the laser lines.

+1

Top Bottom