Larger Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sunami

Where do people buy the larger/longer acrylic and resin pen blanks for kitless pens. Most blanks for pen turning are 5". Do you all just buy 2 of the same type of blank?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Susan,
Check Classic Nib, Exotic Blanks, Richard Greenwald, and Jonathon Brooks for starters.
Richard Greenwald is right here in Md....Potomac I think.

Looking forward to seeing your pens!

Sunami

Thanks Charlie - I know for all the questions I ask - it should be a masterpiece!:laugh:

Here is my latest kit pen, I am trying to master my lathe and tools first! Then within the next couple of months...I'll be ready!

BAYVMygMhbvBsqlQX3own5QfW5t131WCmR8YqY0

TonyL

If you are looking for something really long, like 30 or more inches (for multiple pens of course), there used to be a guy in Hawaii who sells log square rods of the AA typically found in the 5"+ size.

BSea

You can also buy ebonite rods in several colors. They come in 1 meter lengths from Japan and other places. Some people use black ebonite for sections, and accent pieces. If you're careful, you could use the resin for the pen body with ebonite for accents and sections.

jj9ball

Personally, I always buy three of every five inch blank that I want to make a pen out of. That way, when I screw up (which is almost always... don't tell my wife she thinks I'm perfect:)), I will have enough material to complete the pen. Most of the custom fountain pens I have made took between 8 and 10 inches of material. Just my 2 cents.

Charlie69

I know the kitless market is a fraction of the kit market so blanks longer than 5" aren't in big demand but I would love to see more blanks options in the 7" range.

duncsuss

Personally, I always buy three of every five inch blank that I want to make a pen out of. That way, when I screw up (which is almost always... don't tell my wife she thinks I'm perfect:)), I will have enough material to complete the pen. Most of the custom fountain pens I have made took between 8 and 10 inches of material. Just my 2 cents.

Me too!

Top Bottom