Kitless round stock question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

I'm looking for an inexpensive material to use for learning all of my threading for taps and dies. I purchased some round stock clear rod and will use that but I find it to be brittle and difficult to work with. What would you suggest that is easier to work with and closer to the "real thing." I would also like to get it in shorter lengths.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I would suggest Alumilite. Jeff Powell ( aka workinforwood ) might be able to supply you with some off-cuts from his work. Alumilite cuts like butter and takes threads very well AND is used to make glorious pens.

avbill

Martin;

Alan Steel & Supply Company
505 E Bayshore Rd, Redwood City, CA 94063 · Marina Park
(650) 369-2526

I realizer its across the bay but very good prices for metal.

MartinPens

I have Delrin rods and clear rods. Thank you for the resources and advise!
Looks like I will have some alumalite to work with. We'll see what kind of messes I can make.

nava1uni

You could also use some maple. I thread it with good results. It is on sale at Woodcraft. Any rosewood, lignum vitae will also work well. I have lots of cut offs if you want some to practice. Let me know

MartinPens

You could also use some maple. I thread it with good results. It is on sale at Woodcraft. Any rosewood, lignum vitae will also work well. I have lots of cut offs if you want some to practice. Let me know

Cindy, the threads for kitless are pretty small and fine. I'm not super experienced but I don't think they would work on wood.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you have problems with stretching when tapping a hole use a collet chuck. It will compress the material on all sides as you cut the threads. Drill it that way also. You can buy a collet chuck like the Beal er32 one and just chuck it up in your 3 jaw chuck if you dont want change out chucks on a metal lathe. You can always get one of the mt to er 32 chucks as well

mikedealer

thanks.. here's video series i was talking about. if you search on youtube "masters of the fountain pen", grab a beer or apple juice, a pack of cigs or some candy (depends on your preference haha), and be prepared to watch for like 2+ hours.. find this stuff personally so interesting... real masters at what they do, scratch built pens from materials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5HYElVwfj8

(some of the videos will have english closed captioning so make sure to turn it on. even mobile devices have it i believe.

Top Bottom