Kitless question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I have been experimenting with some kitless concepts and am having trouble with coming up with a design that would require only one standard sized blank. I am working with a bock nib from classic nibs and have been designing the pen to use a converter. I keep running out of blank real estate. Is it possible to use a converter and only use a standard sized blank or are you limited to using a cartridge if you want to use a standard blank?

I hope this question makes sense and is in the right forum.

Thanks,

Cody

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Most of the time if you want an entire kitless pen out of one blank, you need to start with about a 9" or larger blank so you have room for work holding, parting loss, tenons for threading, etc...

From standard short blank (5-6") you're going to be very hard pressed to get a full pen out of that. You could probably do it with a stubby type pen with a short convertor or single cartridge, but you still may have to use something else for the grip section.

A few of the suppliers have started offering long blanks. Jonathon Brooks does a long blank and you can also find longer sizes from Classic Nib, Exotic, etc...

Curly

If you want the pen made from all the same material then a standard blank is too short. What you can do is make the section from another solid colour piece that compliments the pen barrel and cap. Black Ebonite is often used.

Cwalker935

Thanks Carl, I thought that I was missing something. I see postings of pens that seem to be from a single blank and could not see how that was possible.

thewishman

Sorry to say, but a one-blank kitless pen is really hard to do. Jonathan Brooks (I think) figured out how to do it a few years ago. I looked through about 15 pages of his posts and couldn't find it - there are more pages to search

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You can also use a short converter along with different material for section. Also possible to use a small piece of contrasting material for finial and blind cap.

farmer

blanks

I have been experimenting with some kitless concepts and am having trouble with coming up with a design that would require only one standard sized blank. I am working with a bock nib from classic nibs and have been designing the pen to use a converter. I keep running out of blank real estate. Is it possible to use a converter and only use a standard sized blank or are you limited to using a cartridge if you want to use a standard blank?

Thanks,

Cody

Sure just make your pen shorter.
Farmer

SDB777

Thanks,

Cody

We have made a few:)rolleyes:) longer Poly Resin pen blanks for folks. Most want something in the 8-1/2" length, I guess cause those fit nicely into a small flat rate?

When I rarely make a kitless, I use a solid black piece for the nib holder. Only then can I get everything I need from one 'standard' blank(5-1/4").

Scott (not as well known as some, but we try) B

manojd

All of my resin pens are made with one 5 1/4" blank. You have to use alternative material for the section, threading and end caps. Only the cap and barrel can be made with the blank material.

Brooks803

Sorry to say, but a one-blank kitless pen is really hard to do. Jonathan Brooks (I think) figured out how to do it a few years ago. I looked through about 15 pages of his posts and couldn't find it - there are more pages to search

It's a mini FP and had to use another material for the section but yeah this one was all from one 5" blank.

DSC04819 (687x700).jpgDSC04823 (587x700).jpg

I also make my own 9" rods with alumilite to have that seamless look on full sized pens.

Top Bottom