Kitless: Gluing different pices of resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yaroslaw

Hi all!

Making kitless, what do you use usually for gluing different pieces of resin (accent pieces, clear windows, finials) together? I made my first one that style, and all pieces separated during drilling/turning. Without something supporting it, gluejoint on a thin wall is really weak:( Managed to save work, but it was so much extra work gluing pieces back concentric (as almost all work already been done on threads and everything)!

Also, may be I used wrong order of steps? I've mounted main material in a collet, faced it, than glued accent piece (previously faced and cut slightly oversized) and than began to work with as a whole piece.

Result is pretty nice, but I don't want to repeat this experience once more:)
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_8681.jpg
    DSC_8681.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC_8686.jpg
    DSC_8686.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

I know for wood, a proper glue joint is stronger than the wood. I don't know about plastic, though.

RichF

I would not expect for a face glued joint to survive for very long.

In order to get a strong joint, you need to use tenon joints to provided added surface area for glue bonding. A good tenon joint bonded with epoxy is very strong.

For a pen such as the one pictured, you would be best served to place the tenons on the ends of the lighter material so the color remains uniform.

duncsuss

I know for wood, a proper glue joint is stronger than the wood. I don't know about plastic, though.
True for face-grain glue joints, but end-grain glue joints are notoriously weak.

I would not expect for a face glued joint to survive for very long.

In order to get a strong joint, you need to use tenon joints to provided added surface area for glue bonding. A good tenon joint bonded with epoxy is very strong.

For a pen such as the one pictured, you would be best served to place the tenons on the ends of the lighter material so the color remains uniform.

Agree 100%.

Thanks for tennon idea. Any other thoughts?:)

Remember to make the tenon thicker than the hole you plan to drill down the middle of it -- or you will be back at an unsupported thin face joint.

Using tenons, I glued black ebonite "fittings" to wooden barrel and cap (the wood didn't take threads very well) and it worked quite well. I aimed to have half the wall thickness made up of each material.

Kaspar

Threaded tenons will work nicely - remember to cut your thread reliefs in the female threads where ever practicable, but even a tight, glued up wring or slip fit would be strong enough. Metal Lathe definitely recommended for tight dimensioning.

Top Bottom