Kit less propotions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I spent yesterday morning working on a fountain pen. I seem to be challenged with getting the right proportions, my cap is longer than the lower body. A 1/4" makes a huge difference. The pen writes nicely. I see what I need to do and my next one will be better.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks good !!! . Nothing wrong with those proportions ... some folks do make the cap longer !

Did you use Alumilite ? . Great stuff to work with ... I love it !!

Last edited:

Maverick KB

I think sometimes we get an image in our head of how things should be. When it doesn't match with the final outcome, our opinion of our own work is skewed by the comparison that is in our own mind. The rest of us here do not have that "artists image" in our heads, so all I see is a beautiful pen and a good show of talent.

Great work. Nothing wrong with challenging yourself to do better or different, but mark this one up as a win anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

VERY NICE! Most pens have the cap threads start at the intersection of the body and front section leading to a shorter cap. That being said I do like the look of your pen and it's likely more comfortable to hold while writing by moving the treads back behind where one would grip the pen.

Danny

Joey-Nieves

If you follow most fountain pen kits the inside depth of the cap is close 1-7/8". I keep my sections to this size for vaious reasons, the lenth of the feed limits this length and I like the body to be about 2/3 of the pen.
I also found that the body depth is 3 to 3.25" with a standard nib (fountain pen or roller ball).

jalbert

Try shortening the front end up a bit to increase the non-grip area in the barrel. It looks as if you've got the cap threads pushed pretty far back. I like to have my cap threads start a little bit behind the junction of the grip and barrel, but I usually only push them back about 1/16". It looks like you have a long enough grip to be fairly comfortable, so I don't think you would need quite so much added length to the grip. These short pens are much trickier to nail the proportions on. Good work though!

magpens

I like the pen. I use the golden ratio for a start. I take the overall length multiply by 1.618 and that's the exposed body length of the capped pen. I've measured several manufactured pens and they are close.

Do you mean "divide" ? . It would then follow that the exposed body length of the capped pen would be close to 60% of the overall length.

Penultimate

I like the pen. I use the golden ratio for a start. I take the overall length multiply by 1.618 and that's the exposed body length of the capped pen. I've measured several manufactured pens and they are close.

Do you mean "divide" ? . It would then follow that the exposed body length of the capped pen would be close to 60% of the overall length.

Oops, sorry, thanks you, are correct it is divide the total length by 1.618. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom