Kit Less Pen Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Kitless Pen Challenge

Hi Honey we're home !!! :biggrin:
First , I want to thank William (wdcav1952) and Al (Docstram) and our Great Leader Jeff for their help in giving me the opportunity to run this Challenge .
I am so happy that we now have a home where we should be , after all this is Advanced pen making and this is the place where it belongs .
I don't want anyone to think that making a kitless ballpoint (slimline) is a waste of time because it's not , the things you learn here will help you make better kit pens as well , I really don't want to hear " I could never do something like this " because you CAN !
The techniques involved in this type of penmaking are a little different then making a kitless fountain pen but not too much different and the tools needed are the same ones you should already have , a lathe , a mandrel and live center and some turning tools .
If you want to make some fancier types of slimlines you should also have a collet chuck or a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck for drilling on the lathe (these things will help but are not required)

Ok first "The Rules" . As William said there are no rules except you must use a "Cross type refill" and "Your pen can not have an exposed tip when not in use" and I will also add that "It cannot be a throw away pen" the refill must be able to be replaced . Other then these three rules , anything goes , so this should make for some very interesting pens .

There will be no prizes except , the satisfaction of knowing that the pen you make will be ALL YOURS , it will be an exclusive pen that you made almost entirely on your own , and the knowledge that you will gain as you complete your pen .

I will be compiling a list of names of the people that we have involved so far .

I know that some of you have other commitments that have to come first so there will be no set start or end to this challenge , we will be done when we are done .

Ok , lets get started making KITLESS PENS !!!

Here is a list of most of the people that have shown an interest in trying this challenge ;

jthompson1995.... it's virgil ....Larry Gottlieb
Shull.... Russianwolf.... fiferb
Mark Hix.... Hosspen.... Modelmaker
Avbill.... Gagler.... brez ....rherrell
hehndc ....bananajeep.... Theturningcircle
rjwolfe..... Chuck Key.... BRobbins629
Workingforwood ....handplane ....Daniel
DSallee ....cozee....Petricore....CSue
more to come

Last edited:

ldb2000

Kitless slimline

This pen is the first of my pens for the kitless pen challenge .
It is a totally unremarkable pen in black PR and grey corian , I will be adding a homemade clip later in the week.
The thing that makes this pen special is the fact that it was made with only basic equipment , A Lathe , a 7mm mandrel and livecenter and my drillpress . I wanted to show that this challenge can be done by anybody with just basic pen turning equipment , it just takes a little time to figure out how to turn the parts .
The tubes were turned with slimline bushings on the standard mandrel and the finial and nib by using the mandrel as a closed end mandrel with the live center supporting the end of the finial and nib .
If anybody needs help trying this method just ask .

1_lotechslim.jpg

Petricore

I'm excited to try this. Question tho, when you say kitless, are we not supposed to use the transmissions that come with the kit ? Or are we just eliminating the hardware on both ends ?

ldb2000

Petricore , you can use the tubes and transmission and clip , those are the only parts of a kit that are allowed . That said you do not have to use them either if you can figure a way of making the slimline without them , the clip is optional just make it a closed end . the official rules are posted in the Casual Conversation forum and above in my first post .
Have fun with it and try something different to make the pen unique .

bobkeyes

Kitless

Here is a fountain pen. All parts made by me except the nib. 4 start thread done on the mill. Two views of pen and one of small diamond on the cap. Made from tortoise shell acrylic.

Attachments

• Contique1.jpg
    Contique1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 831
  • Conique2.jpg
    Conique2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 812
  • ConiqueDiamond.jpg
    ConiqueDiamond.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 664

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I'm in . . .

I'm "in" - I guess that's my warning for everyone. Give me a few days. I already got and idea.

We have to make our own "nibs" right?

ldb2000

Not a problem Bob . It is a beautiful Kitless fountain pen , I like the Diamond accent and the overall shape .
Thanks for posting it it shows where this kind of challenge can lead to .

Mr Vic

I'm tossing my hat into the ring.

By the By has anyone every dissasembled a transmission? Before you ask I'm refering to a twist pen transmission. I'm curious to see the internals. Any pictures? I have a picture in my mind of what it might look like but would like to really see the parts. Got a few ideas.

rherrell

I posted photos in the original thread but I guess I was too fast:wink:! I just read where all photos are to go here so here they are again....
attachment.jpg

This is what I started with....blank, Delrin, refill, tranny, 8X32 screw, one tube, Euro clip and some brass rod.
attachment.jpg

Here's the parts I made
attachment.jpg

Here's the results. This is my first "kitless" attempt and all in all I'm pleased with it.

Attachments

• iap-2.jpg
    iap-2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,408
  • iap-1.jpg
    iap-1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 375.jpg
    375.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,423
Last edited:

rdunn12

Thought I would give this a try.This was my first kitless pen,and first closed end.I think it turned out o.k. not real sure I like the shape.What do you guys think?I learned a lot by doing this,mainly what not to do.:)All it has from a kit is the tubes(modified),refill and transmission.Oh the blank is Pomegranate acrylic and the center band is serpent rod.I did this without a closed end mandrel.

kitless.jpg

ldb2000

Superb Ronald .
Love the blank and the CB gives a nice contrast , I like the shape but I think the lower barrel could use a little diet , the upper closed end barrel is perfect .
Overall an excellent example of a kitless slimline .
These pens are worth every second that it takes to figure out the techniques of turning them . :good::good::good:

rdunn12

I thought that about the lower barrel also.I did'nt want it too thin and ended up leaving it a bit thicker than I wanted.It does have a nice feel to it though.

rdunn12

I did the closed end and the nib end on a wine bottle stopper mandrel.I drilled the blanks with the bit for the bottle stopper mandrel,turned and finished the blanks,then redrilled to tube size after turning.I also had enough room on the mandrel to get one slimline bushing.

ldb2000

Great idea Ronald . I never thought about using a Bottle Stopper mandrel , then redrilling to final size after turning ... thanks

I still think that the best thing about these pens is that they are all yours , they are exclusives , if you do shows no one else will have anything like them . :bananen_smilies051:

Last edited:

cowjelly

My attempt

Hello to all, here is my attempt. This is the first time posting with pictures and using the camera, I hope they aren't too blurry! Anyway my goal was to make a pen that functioned like a slimline but looked like the old style fountain pens. If you are able to see anything tell me what you think. The only kit parts I used were the tube & mech. it was allot of fun and I'll be making more, the possibilities are endless when your not restricted to the kit.

Thanks, Keith. In Indiana...

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 490

ldb2000

THAT'S COOL !!!!
I would call that Advanced penmaking + .
I never would have thought of that design .
BRAVO !!!
:worship::worship::worship:
I love the clip too !!!

PS; the pictures look great too

ldb2000

Hello to all, here is my attempt. This is the first time posting with pictures and using the camera, I hope they aren't too blurry! Anyway my goal was to make a pen that functioned like a slimline but looked like the old style fountain pens. If you are able to see anything tell me what you think. The only kit parts I used were the tube & mech. it was allot of fun and I'll be making more, the possibilities are endless when your not restricted to the kit.

Thanks, Keith. In Indiana...

I've been saying that right along

cowjelly

Thank you for the compliments. I made the clip from a piece a brass bar stock, turned the profile then locked the headstock and filed the flats. The trim rings were just an old piece of 3/8 tube split down the middle and glued before turning. I'm working on a way that you simply cut your slot for the clip them tighten down a screw and it secures the clip in place.

Best Regards,
Keith

ldb2000

This is another Challenge pen , it is a Kitless slimline (longwood style) made from Storm blue and White Linen Corian .
I used 2 7mm tubes and a 7mm transmission which were bought in bulk , and a clip from Elliot (www.penmakers.com) , so no kits were broken up to make this pen .
The Corian is great for this kind of penmaking , it turns and drills well and shines like glass when done :glasses-cool:
I really like the way this one came out so I'm including it with the PITH pen I made for Nolan

1_coriankitless.jpg

Last edited:

rdunn12

Cool Butch I like that.Looks a little short.What is the length of the pen?Just curious.The Corian looks nice and the color contrast is nice also.Great work.:)

ldb2000

Thanks Ronald
The pen is 5 1/8" same as a slimline but it is 1/2" thick . The clip is shorter then a slimline clip by 1/2" so it makes the whole pen look shorter

workinforwood

Awesome display of kitless slims! My computer broke for just over a week..as per Butch's request, here's the kitless pen transferred to here. It's a lighter, the gas and ignition removed, but the light still fully operational. Spun a barrel to simulate a silencer and died it ebony and a bullet exiting the silencer is the nib...so it's not just another typical bullet pen.

Attachments

• gun 003.jpg
    gun 003.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 515

ldb2000

Jeff , I have to say that if this was a contest you would win for originality , that is a great concept and you pulled it off perfectly .
Thanks for posting it here .

:good::good::good:

workinforwood

It's not the most comfortable pen. It's comfy only in one position, with the trigger pointing down between your thumb and finger, so you can't just pick it up and write in any position, but it doesn't roll off the desk.

kruger

can you consider if these is a kitless pen.

it is made only with wood.

bocote with a spicy inlay next wood i don't know the name next sycamore and bocote.
i use only 2 x 7 mm tubes with a transmission and an old slimline clip.

Attachments

• profilage pointe en bocote.jpg
    profilage pointe en bocote.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 453
  • stylo tt en bois2.jpg
    stylo tt en bois2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 656

ldb2000

Hi Kruger
Yep I would call that a Kitless pen and a very nice one at that . Wood is one of the harder materials to make kitless pens from but you did it .:good::good::good:

rherrell

Here's my final entry for this "challenge".
attachment.php

I posted a complete review in the SOYP forum if you're interested.

Attachments

• 600-1.jpg
    600-1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

ldb2000

Kitless Euro (modified slimline)

Ok here's my next type of modification based on the lowly slimline .
This is a Kitless Euro/Designer pen . I used 2 7mm tubes and a slimline transmission that I buy in bulk (no kits were harmed during the making of this pen) and some Granite and Black Corian and a Mont Blanc style clip from Elliot at www.penmakers.com that I plated with Black chrome .
This one came out better then I had thought it would , almost looks like a kit pen :biggrin:
For my next trick , I will be making a 7mm Polaris style pen

1_kitlesseuro.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom