Just another way of making a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

In another thread I said I would share some pen making techniques via PM but more folks expressed interest than I thought so I decided to just do it in a post instead.

To begin with if there is one thing you take away from reading this, it is the hard and fast rule that there are NO rules to follow! I see posts everyday where someone is asking about what taps they are supposed to buy, which drill bits they are supposed to use, which mandrel to buy and so on. These are not kits so quit thinking "Kit assembly" and start using your imaginations. One reason for sharing my way of doing pens is to show there is NO shopping list, there is NO right or wrong procedure, there is NO diagram showing how part "A" attaches to part "B" and there are NO boundaries other than your imagination.

I took a photo this morning of some pens I will be displaying at an upcoming show in the hopes of selling a few. If you notice there are a lot of similarities but no two pens are 100% identical, and the only thing in common is that none of them use brass tubes anymore. I used acrylics, truestone and ebonite. Some have sterling silver trim, some have titanium. There are homemade clips, there are clips from kits. There are different methods used to attach clips and different types of nib front sections and nib sizes, some are "factory"sections, some are hand made. The point in showing these is that they are all unique with subtle differences and no rules were followed in their designs. I have dozens of taps, drills and gadgets for making dozens of those "subtle differences" so telling you to turn to a certain diameter, drill a hole using bit "X" then thread using tap "X" just doesn't work and will only frustrate you.

showpens.jpg

Now that the stage is set, let's begin. I want to share a method I use to turn a pen without using mandrels, just a collet chuck. Remember... do what floats your boat and NOT try to make a 100% copy of someone elses work, you'll be glad you did!

Step 1. I start with either buying a round blank or turning it round and chucking it in my Beall collet chuck. I like the Beall chuck over other chucks mounted on mt-2 shafts because I can insert a 5" blank quite a way into the chuck for more accurate holding.
fab1.jpg

Step 2. I turn it down to the approximate size of the finished barrel; we'll call it 5/8". Then I turn a tenon for the threads.
fab2.jpg

Step 3. Using a die holder with a mt-2 shank mounted in the tailstock I thread the lower "multi-start" threads by HAND TURNING the lathe. Left hand turning the spindle, Right hand gently pushing in the tailstock.
fab3.jpg

Step 4. Using a home made check gage I make sure the threads work smoothly.
fab4.jpg

Step 5. Using a short center drill I mark the center for drilling. I think this is VERY important and never omit this step (Oops, there's a RULE :))
fab5.jpg

Step 6. I start drilling the lower barrel using different size bits to allow clearance for the front section to screw into as well as a Schmidt converter.
fab6.jpg

Step 7. The last drill just about all the way in. Note my little red shop aid? I leave it on just to give a bit of support to the exterior threads during drilling. May or may not help but it's pretty and I made it so I use it! Note the depth marks on the drill bit? I use those riligously! Darn it, another RULE! :)
fab7.jpg

Step 8. Once the barrel is drilled out I tap the body to accept the front section. A light shot of cooking oil makes threading easy and leaves clean shiny threads in acrylics (soapy water for ebonite). Notice I don't mention the tap size, that's because you can use any tap you want depending on the size of pen you are making and the section you are using, remember, there are NO rules right!
fab8.jpg

Step 9. I simply insert the tap into a drill chuck mounted in the tailstock and HAND TURN the lathe. Remember, Left hand turning the spindle, Right hand gently pushing in the tailstock.
fab9.jpg

Step 10. I clean out the inside of the barrel then thread in the fron section and converter that I will be using to make sure everything works fine with plenty of room. Now is the time to catch any problems.
fab10.jpg

Step 11. At this point I have a barrel ready to go, almost! Note that up to this step, I have not removed the blank from the collet chuck for any reason. It is rock solid and true as can be.
fab11.jpg

Step 12. I remove the front section and wet sand the blank with 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grits. Then polish with plastic polish. Remember to stay away from the threads!
fab12.jpg

Step 13. Now I remove the blank from the chuck and actually have a working pen… sorta! All I have to do now is cut the blank to the length I want, change collet sizes to one that fits the smaller body diameter and reinsert the body back into the chuck "head first" and turn down the "fat" end. You will note that the top of the lower body is fairly straight. This allows the blank to be reinserterted back into the collet chuck. If it were turned "Fat" as some like their pens, this would not work as the blank would wobble in the chuck. I only taper the tail end of the blank.
fab13.jpg

Step 14. With the "nib" end held by the chuck I turn down and taper the bottom of the barrel. If I want a "postable" cap, I turn down the tail end a bit more to fit into the cap. Remember that I already polished the top of the barrel, now I polish the lower end, overlapping the front end a bit. When removed from the chuck I simply take it to the buffer and buff the whole barrel at once and I'm done. Be careful chucking the blank and you will have no chuck marks to deal with.
fab14.jpg

Well, there you have it, one way of turning a pen with just a collet chuck, I hope this helps shed some light on the subject and gives you some ideas on how you can start on your masterpiece without buying a handful of specialized mandrels. Here is the finished pen (the cap just sorta happened by magic and will be another topic soon!) :biggrin:…….
fabfinal.jpg

Last edited:

cnirenberg

George,
Well done indeed. This is a great way of showing the steps necessary. I really like the looks of your pen display on the first pic, you should do well at your show. I gotta get a collet chuck....

PTJeff

Bravo!
I think that this process should have your name on it and posted in the library.
I don't think I would have thought to turn a portion of the barrel, flip and do the other portion. Way to "think outside the box"

Texatdurango

You know, the most important thing I have learned about this little exercise is that taking photos of a white pen is tricky and I suck at it! :biggrin:

Now I'm off to the shop to make the caps for those capless pens in the photo!

TomW

You know, the most important thing I have learned about this little exercise is that taking photos of a white pen is tricky and I suck at it! :biggrin:

Now I'm off to the shop to make the caps for those capless pens in the photo!

Please take your camera!

Tom

rpearson

Great instructions, illustration and out-of-the box technique! Can't wait for you follow up on making the caps. Very Well Done!

BigguyZ

George,

Thank you so much for this insight on making something above and beyond the standard kit pens I've been doing. I really would like to evolve into doing something like this, so seeing this tutorial is a great way to shorten the learning curve!

A couple of questions, if I may. Where do you buy ebonite? I haven't found any sources online, and the idea interests me. Also, where do you buy the front section? Or is that all found in the Fountain Pen area?

Thanks Again! I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up regarding the caps!

Texatdurango

George,

Thank you so much for this insight on making something above and beyond the standard kit pens I've been doing. I really would like to evolve into doing something like this, so seeing this tutorial is a great way to shorten the learning curve!

A couple of questions, if I may. Where do you buy ebonite? I haven't found any sources online, and the idea interests me. Also, where do you buy the front section? Or is that all found in the Fountain Pen area?

Thanks Again! I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up regarding the caps!
I will PM you. I hope this thread stays focused on the discussion of actually making pens rather than degrading into plugs for various vendors. The classifieds are full of ads and I hope that's where those discussions stay.

Texatdurango

I was asked about turning curved bodies so I edited step #13.

The collet chuck will hold the blank true as long as it's the same diameter or close to it. If you like to turn fat or curvy pen bodies this whole method may not work since re-chucking the blank to turn the tail end would result in the blank wobbling on you. You could do it but a mandrel would need to be used to hold the blank to turn down the tail end. Nothing wrong with that, it just adds another step and another tool.

stolicky

Good job, and thank you. Losing some of the kit parts (especially the tubes) has been a future project in the making for a while now. You definitely pushed me a little closer to going down that road....

Looking forward to the cap - and yes, this should go into the library.

Thanks again.

JDenney

Thanks!

Thanks for the great info! I have been wanting to make pens less 'kit like' and more inspired by some of the classic fountain pens, and this is just the push I need to go that direction. Birthday coming up and SWMBO is getting me a Beall Collet Chuck!

Looking forward to the next installment.

JohnU

Being a "kit" pen turner that I am with no knowledge on kitless work, I really appreciate you posting this. I have wanted to try new ideas and this is just what I needed to take my hobby to the next level. Thank You!

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
George....

As one of the many who expressed interest in hearing about your pen-making tips and techniques, let me add my thanks for taking the time to create such an insightful and comprehensive post. It provided a wealth of information for both the neophyte and experienced pen maker...

nava1uni

George,
Thanks for the information. Very informative and instructive. I like thinking outside of the box and this tutorial is certainly fear dispelling. One more piece of material to add to my library for reference.
Thanks again.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Excellently written and shown!!!! And a damned fine pen too. :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing Part Two too:biggrin:

Texatdurango

Wow, did I do that good of a job explaining things? :eek:

With many members asking about the ins and outs of making a pen like this in other threads and forums I would have thought there would have been at least a few questions or comments that needed discussing. Or some of the other more experienced turners might have some suggestions for me.

Rollerbob

With many members asking about the ins and outs of making a pen like this in other threads and forums I would have thought there would have been at least a few questions or comments that needed discussing. Or some of the other more experienced turners might have some suggestions for me.
Nah, can do it in my sleep now!:yawn::rolleyes:

JJturns

Thank you very much George for taking the time to post this in such great detail. I really like the freedom that is afforded by making a kitless pen. I'm just starting and use several of the same methods you do. I love your first rule – there are no rules!

I also want to commend you on your continued selfless attitude toward everyone here and the freedom with which you share information, a real sign of a truly secure craftsman! I look forward to learning more about the clips as I am still not happy with mine. The pens you make are always outstanding and so are your explanations.

Thank you,
JJ

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

George, I did have a suggestion but didn't want to state it:redface:
but since you asked...:biggrin:

You said that when threading, you push ( albeit gently ) on the tailstock to advance the tap into the blank. I assume that you are just using the chuck and not a tap holder ( like your die holder )
I do it like that often too, but there needs to be some very careful removal of the tap too, ( I'm sure you know already )you can't just pull on th TS and unwind the headstock or you risk ripping out the first few threads from the blank.
An alternate method ( if you don't have a free spinning tap holder ) is to remove the locking screw from the tailstock quill and let the chuck spin.
If you do it on a metal lathe ( like me ) you simply advance the TS quill till it disengages from the hand crank. Doing it like that means you only have to hold the headstock with your left hand and do the threading with your right hand.:wink:

I hope you're not gonna make us stay up all night waiting for the Cap??:biggrin:
It's 10.30pm here already and I turn into a pumpkin at midnight:biggrin:

handplane

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the planning stages of doing a couple of pens like this. Surprisingly I was going to do things very similar to what you did. The pictures really helped clear up some of the questions I had.

PTJeff

"I would have thought there would have been at least a few questions or comments that needed discussing"

Well George, that depends upon what the caps and bands look like...

Texatdurango

George, I did have a suggestion but didn't want to state it:redface:
but since you asked...:biggrin:

You said that when threading, you push ( albeit gently ) on the tailstock to advance the tap into the blank. I assume that you are just using the chuck and not a tap holder ( like your die holder )
I do it like that often too, but there needs to be some very careful removal of the tap too, ( I'm sure you know already )you can't just pull on th TS and unwind the headstock or you risk ripping out the first few threads from the blank.
An alternate method ( if you don't have a free spinning tap holder ) is to remove the locking screw from the tailstock quill and let the chuck spin.
If you do it on a metal lathe ( like me ) you simply advance the TS quill till it disengages from the hand crank. Doing it like that means you only have to hold the headstock with your left hand and do the threading with your right hand.:wink:

I hope you're not gonna make us stay up all night waiting for the Cap??:biggrin:
It's 10.30pm here already and I turn into a pumpkin at midnight:biggrin:

Skip,

I'm glad you brought this up, this will save someone from ripping their threads out. When I tap the threads I insert the tap into a chuck in the tailstock to insure correct alignment and gently push the tailstock in while rotating the spindle with the left hand. But when I withdraw the tap I loosen the chuck to release the tap, move the tailstock out of the way then slip a tap handle around the tap and hold it steady while moving the spindle backwards. Usually about halfway out the tap can be removed with the fingers.

I learned the hard way about tugging on the tailstock and ripping threads out!

About the cap, don't hold your breath, I've got to get a few pens ready for next weekend so will be a few days before I'll have time to take photos of a cap construction.

Top Bottom