Inlays - Just a thought!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

achennau

I know they have laser cut kits for the Cancer Awareness Ribbons, but I'm wondering if there's any way to cut a blank for that like you would a Celtic knot! Any answers or suggestions???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Had to read your post twice Andy. The only way i've found to cut the ribbon without a laser is with a scroll saw. Takes some patience, but looks good cast in different resins. I've been using maple and using a vacuum chamber with transdyes to tint the ribbon. Then epoxy it to a tube and cast the blank. Works well for me.

I have been working on the same idea Andy. I think it can be done similar to making a celtic knot but just a shallower cut and on more of an angle. Then cut a straight cut for the top of the ribbon. It works on paper, but I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like a good project for tonight. I'll post up some images of the attempt.:biggrin:

achennau

I have been working on the same idea Andy. I think it can be done similar to making a celtic knot but just a shallower cut and on more of an angle. Then cut a straight cut for the top of the ribbon. It works on paper, but I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like a good project for tonight. I'll post up some images of the attempt.

BW Design Works
www.bwdesignworks.com

Okay cool, let me know how it turns out. I myself am a "cancer survivor" and I would like to start bringing some awareness to Prostate Cancer.

Congratulations Andy! I just recently lost a very dear friend to Cancer. She was only 63. I have been working on a design since that day and once completed will donate a good portion of the sales to help fight this horrible disease.

1st Attempt

Well Andy this will take some trial and error, but I think it can be done. Here's my first attempt, which I made a wrong cut and had to fill. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

This is just a test piece, but if anyone has suggestions or tweeks I would love to hear from ya. Once I have the angles and cuts down I can replace the maple with a pink acrylic.

Attachments

• test 1.JPG
    test 1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 214
  • test 2.JPG
    test 2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 197

nava1uni

Since you are going to inlay the design why not cut the design with a foredom or dremel. You would be able to get the curves without any difficulty and the image would flow easily.

Top Bottom