inlaying powder?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Dilland

recenty have taken an intrance in inlay, but- WoodCraft has no inlay powder, google didn't offer much resort either- anyone?
I responded to a thread recently with some info you might find interesting. I use this powder with epoxy for lots of filling situations. Click the link and scroll down to my post with the photo. In the photo you will se a dowel rod that I used to make some sample accent rings. I think they look really nice and sand and polish well.http://162.42.234.18/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36196

its_virgil

Colored Two part epoxy
embossing powder and CA
crushed stone and CA or epoxy
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Dilland

recenty have taken an intrance in inlay, but- WoodCraft has no inlay powder, google didn't offer much resort either- anyone?

rherrell

I get all my stones and minerals from Great South Minerals and Gems and crush them myself using the mortar and pestle technique.
Some of my favorites are Malachite, Turquoise, Azurite and Calcite.
As long as you stay 6 or below on the Mohs hardness scale you'll be fine. It's more work this way but it's NATURAL and that's important to me.

jwalt191

You might try ground coffee, cinnamon, paprika, or anything else you might have in the spice cabinet. This is a cheap easy solution to inlay. See the red paprika bands below on a Faux Ivory and Snakeskin Set.

20085216049_image336.jpg

Gulfcoast

"recenty have taken an intrance in inlay, but- WoodCraft has no inlay powder, google didn't offer much resort either- anyone?"

--- Craft Supplies/Woodturners catalog has several types, metal powder, metal dust and crushed stone powder. (pg 70, 2007/2008 Fall/Winter issue.

Joe

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Colored Two part epoxy
embossing powder and CA
crushed stone and CA or epoxy
Do a good turn daily!
Don
So are you saying I can color the CA with embossing powder before I use it to do inlay or glue tubes? Doesn't it change the hardening properties of the CA?

Petricore

The way I do it to fix voids/mistakes, and will do it when I start inlays, is dump the powder or material in the hole (overflowing it) then fill it in with the thin ca and let it dry, shave it off with your best tool and then sand ect.... The ca is meant to bind stuff like this together so its all good.

-Linc

Top Bottom